Coffee tips (4 Viewers)

MLU and Saint_Ward are the only 2 I see that mentioned water. Coffee is predominantly water, so good filtered water is a must for a good cup of coffee. Especially if you have any municipality provided tap water.

We have been ordering whole bean genuine Antigua from a coffee plantation in Guatemala. It's a medium roast and is really good. We have a Cuisinart burr grinder as well. Only issue with it is the static electricity it generates in the beans when ground. I've found this is more of an issue with darker roasts, and less in medium roasts.

I'm guessing I'm one of the few who use bottled water for coffee. Our tap water is terrible. Drinkable, but the taste is yucky.

well the conversation was in regard to bacteria that would not be harmful to most of us. He couldn’t even have deli meat because of the meat slicers. But i figured in a thread where people are this concerned over taste,it might also be something that could effect the tats te if it wasn’t properly cleaned. For our purposes it just made the machine an easy no. But my cousin who had one, upon hearing our report, took hers apart and sure enough found it was filthy. I have never had one but there are YouTube’s of people showing the guilty parts.
And I am sure they are never gonna dance again because guilty parts have no rhythm.

J/k but I will check out the youtube videos. Thank you.

15FA9669-95C9-48E8-8E48-A67079A44B96.jpeg
Now I’m happy. Made use of an old mini fridge I had for extra Rona storage and it made a great coffee corner complete with a good morning Alexa routine. Now I just need beans lol.

love the kettle but the base could have been heavier. No problem when it’s full of water but I had to work with the heavy chord to keep it from pushing the whole thing upward when it’s empty.

I'm guessing I'm one of the few who use bottled water for coffee. Our tap water is terrible. Drinkable, but the taste is yucky.
W. Monroe water is horrible. I have run a half tub in the bath and let it sit a few minutes and found an 1/2 inch of rust at the bottom.

W. Monroe water is horrible. I have run a half tub in the bath and let it sit a few minutes and found an 1/2 inch of rust at the bottom.

Yikes! Reminds me of my grandparents' old house out in Robert, Louisiana. Their water was tan, almost brown. And we used to bath/shower in that when I was a kid. Lol.

My sampler pack from Bones Coffee arrived today. Ordered Monday, so they roasted, packaged, shipped, and arrived in just a few days. Not too bad. Now I just have to decide which one to try first.

I have to say that I have not found the whole bean I like just yet but I am in love with the electric kettle. I use it for for water I have to boil pasta and stuff on the stove. Its already boiling in a minute and I just pour it over in the pot already on a lit flame. Very fast and convenient.

a word on that, don't have the pot on too long before you pour boiling water in it. yea, just don't and thank me later.

Last edited:
ordered a pour over on amazon and will get the kettle from Costco. Y'all have me convinced the drip aint it!

ok I've been thinking of getting a French press. Can any one recommend one but for a moron? Also is it complicated?

edit: or maybe a percolator? ugh this is why I use a damn keurig

ok I've been thinking of getting a French press. Can any one recommend one but for a moron? Also is it complicated?

French presses are very easy. Bodum is the best on the market. Just pick the one that is big enough for your uses. Also, don’t worry about screwing up. Just learn from your mistakes. You’re human.

Bodum, as Rick said, is the brand. Not expensive.

Super simple.

It will take some trial and error to find the ratio you like. I use 1 g of coffee to 16.6666 ml of water. That means a full large Bodum for me is 72g of coffee and 1200 ml of water.

Also, you will want the grounds pretty coarse - do you have a grinder? If not, when you get it ground make sure you tell them it is for a French press.

Here's my process - which is pretty typical.

Boil measured, filtered water in the kettle.
Pour measured coffee grounds into the Bodum press.
Let water come off boil a couple of minutes.
Pour water over grinds.
Stir - with a WOODEN or PLASTIC spoon. I've cracked with a metal one.
Put the top on the carafe.
Let coffee sit for 4 minutes.
Plunge.
Pour.

I pour a cup and the rest goes into a Thermos.

Coffee grinds go in the garden :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom