Coffee tips (2 Viewers)

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, I know a bunch of you are experienced coffee drinkers. Thinking about whether to keep coffee pot warmer on all day, or should warmer be turned off and reheat in the microwave?

When keeping warm for several hours, the coffee becomes more bitter, to the point it tastes burnt. Turning heat off and microwaving seems ok. Not as bad as the warmer after several hours.

Just thinking whether it's better to brew a large pot and have some ready for later in the day, or take the extra time, make a smaller pot, then make another small pot when needed.

And yeah, I know, I can always get a Keurig and skip that problem. Heh.

Any other tips from our resident coffee gurus?

Hot coffee is always going to break down over time. If you want coffee that will keep, I would cold brew it and heat as you want it. It makes a higher concentrated coffee as well, which you can thin with water or milk to your liking.

Note that most cold brew does better with a different grind than hot (finer, i think, but I'm not sure).

Kerrigs are synonymous with bacteria. My sister and I had to sit through a class after my dad had stem cell transplant about prepping his food. What we learned about those will make you give them up.

just make smaller pots. You may even prefer a 4 cup brewer if you like drinking it more than once a day.

Kerrigs are synonymous with bacteria. My sister and I had to sit through a class after my dad had stem cell transplant about prepping his food. What we learned about those will make you give them up.

just make smaller pots. You may even prefer a 4 cup brewer if you like drinking it more than once a day.

Yeah, my wife and I split a 5 cup brewer. Our coffee cups can hold 2.5. So it's a good fit. But sometimes making another pot later in the day is meh. Cleaning the used pot and grinding and prepping another pot, eh. I'm lazy, lol.

Interesting tip on the Keurig. Never heard that before.

If you really love and respect coffee then do these three things:

(1) Get a maker that drips water slowly and broadly over the grinds, rather than dripping in one spot in the middle of the filter.

(2) To solve the keep-it-warm problem, get a maker that has a thermal pot. No re-heating, no burner burn. Also get an electric cup warmer pad.

(3) For the love of Kaldi and his Goats, never use a K-cup machine. Brew it right.

Yeah, my wife and I split a 5 cup brewer. Our coffee cups can hold 2.5. So it's a good fit. But sometimes making another pot later in the day is meh. Cleaning the used pot and grinding and prepping another pot, eh. I'm lazy, lol.

Interesting tip on the Keurig. Never heard that before.

I mean it probably won’t kill you unless you an infant or have stem cells transplant but they are a birch to keep clean so if you care enough to be grinding your own beans you might prefer another route.

As the only coffee drinker in the house I have been on multi decade search for the perfect solution. I have come close at times but it still an ongoing experiment. I need one 8-10oz mug with minimal cleanup before I hit the door heading out to work. My current setup up is a one cup pour over in a reusable stainless filter. For hot water I put the filtered mug under the Keurig (one of my possible solutions - didn't like the resulting plastic waste - now a fancy hot water dispenser). It works ok but could be just abit hotter for a pour over in my opinion. Dump the grinds, wash the filter, drink coffee. No fuss solution.

Dave, since you share coffee with your spouse, the one cup pour over might not be best for you but you might consider it. Takes me about 3 minutes or so for a cup and like I mentioned zero/minimal cleanup.

Last edited:
If you really love and respect coffee then do these three things:

(1) Get a maker that drips water slowly and broadly over the grinds, rather than dripping in one spot in the middle of the filter.

(2) To solve the keep-it-warm problem, get a maker that has a thermal pot. No re-heating, no burner burn. Also get an electric cup warmer pad.

(3) For the love of Kaldi and his Goats, never use a K-cup machine. Brew it right.

We had a Mr. Coffee, one of their higher end makers with a thermal pot and it was nice for a while. But it didn't last long. Maybe a little over a year before I had to buy another maker. I liked the pot, but the quality of the maker itself was cheap.

This thread just encouraged me to buy that electric hot water kettle I have been considering. The perfect solution search continues! Thanks Dave - and Amazon Prime!

This thread just encouraged me to buy that electric hot water kettle I have been considering. The perfect solution continues! Thanks Dave - and Amazon Prime!

that and a good French press is going to probably give you the most consistent taste results. I need a new one. Most days I’m just trying to get the caffeine and go though.

that and a good French press is going to probably give you the most consistent taste results. I need a new one. Most days I’m just trying to get the caffeine and go though.
Did that. I hated the resulting cleanup. Although I should maybe reconsider as it shouldn't be much more than cleaning my filter I use now. It seemed to be more involved for some reason. No fuss cleanup about equal as important to me as the quality of the brew.

Did that. I hated the resulting cleanup. Although I should maybe reconsider as it shouldn't be much more than cleaning my filter I use now. It seemed to be more involved for some reason. No fuss cleanup about equal as important to me as the quality of the brew.

so what are you using, like a filter that just sits on top of the pot?

I have to be honest, I really go both ways (your welcome snoopy). I like to make a really good cup sometimes when I have time to sit at home. But most days I have a standard pot set up the night before and set to go off exactly 8 minutes before my alarm so when I walk out of the room I hear the last coughing of the percolator. Coffee is like sex. Some is better but as long as it’s not too weak, there isn’t any that’s bad.

Sits on top of my cup. I have this one. Put filter on cup, grinds in filter, put the two under the Keruig and hit the 8oz button. 3 mintues later, dump the grinds, wash the filter (I run thru dishwasher a few times/week) and that is it.

I like it. I will probably end up with one of those electric kettles at some point. I have been known to do a cup of tea at times (chamomile) and that would make me do it more.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom