Coffee tips (1 Viewer)

Good, simple coffee is as easy as fresh ground beans, filtered water (heated just shy of boiling) and a French press. If you must use a coffee maker, I have heard very good things about this OXO machine.

Amazon product ASIN B00YEYKK8U
Even with the machine, fresh ground beans and filtered water...

Yep, I've been grinding beans for a few years now. The extra step is well worth it. I'll get around to doing a French press at some point. Just haven't broken the habit of using an auto drip yet. I haven't used tap water in a long time.

As for coffee brand. Starbucks French roast is what we've been using for the most part. I occasionally like their Verona. I've tried a few others but I always end up going back to SBUX. If there was Community here, I'd be drinking that instead though.

Yep, I've been grinding beans for a few years now. The extra step is well worth it. I'll get around to doing a French press at some point. Just haven't broken the habit of using an auto drip yet. I haven't used tap water in a long time.

As for coffee brand. Starbucks French roast is what we've been using for the most part. I occasionally like their Verona. I've tried a few others but I always end up going back to SBUX. If there was Community here, I'd be drinking that instead though.

do your research on the French Press’ they were not all created equal. A poor plunging mechanism and you will have grinds in your coffee

I have found some good beans on Amazon. Don Pablo sells a 2lb bag for pretty cheap. Hunt Bros sells a blue mountain coffee. I like coffees grown in the Sidamo region of Ethiopia, too. I keep at least one of those around and I will supplement with local stuff when I get out and wander around town. I also use Amazon to order Cafe Du Monde and French Market from Amazon. Now that we're closer to LA, I see Community on the shelves, so that's going to become a staple I'm sure because I don't share the good stuff with just anyone. Lol

Brew a fresh pot of coffee. Use freshly (or at least somewhat freshly) ground coffee. Make sure it is brewed hot. Pour the coffee in a stainless steel double vacuum wall thermos. Hot or at least warm enough for most of the day.

That's what I do for work. The only issue for me is if my wife Brew's the coffee too early and by the time I get it in my thermos, the warmer has shut off.

Otherwise, I microwave it to reheat.

French Press or manual pour over (hario, chemex, etc) are all great options, but require some work and French Presses are a pain to clean.

Last edited:
I have a Cuisinart DCC-1200 Brew Central. I don't bother with the program timer. I just fill it in the AM and run it. I've heard some issues with the seals over time, so that's why I just never used it that way. We had an issue with the first one after a year, shipped it back to them (you pay shipping), and got a new one sent back. That one has lasted like 5 years so far.

Amazon product ASIN B00005IBX9
I keep it set on high. It does a good job. it has a carbon filter to at least make the water taste better, if you don't have a proper filter for your water.

I usually just get coffee from Costco. Either their Starbucks house blend, the Kirkland brand, or various options they have. I really like the Kona coffee and any time they get something out of Ethiopia. Otherwise, stick with the usual central and south American.

I have a Krupps grinder. I was going to get a conical grinder, but haven't. We grind about 3-4 days worth of coffee, and put it in an air tight container. I'd rather freshly grind prior to use, but my wife wakes up earlier, and needs coffee to live, and doesn't want to work for it.

Last edited:
Brioche or whatever they call those things. :scratch:

Brioche

Image result for brioche

Biscotti

Image result for biscotti

both good but the second probably more common for coffee pairing.

I grind whole beans and use a bodium automated pour over coffee maker for my daily. Beans come from one of the few local coffee shops I visit so its a mix of panther, ruby, onyx, stumptown or madcap though there are a few other local roasters I would like to try.

I make 36 oz of coffee and put it in two thermal bottles and bring it to work because I cannot drink the hot plate special here. Drink it black but if get coffee at a shop I tend to go with cortado or other coffee drink.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
I like Kenya AA, beans from Costa Rica, Larry's El Salvador Dali is good as well

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom