Cold Pizza on Reggie Bush (1 Viewer)

It seems to me that I've seen Reggie on several occasions when he could have run out of bounds, put his head down and slam into the defender so I don't know where those comments come from unless it's from someone who hasn't actually watched film of Reggie.

yeah, I seem to remember an important 3rd down conversion a couple weeks ago......he lowered his shoulder and got the yards we needed.

Give reggie an offseason or 2 in the weight room, let him bulk up for a 16 game season and then lets talk. This kid is 21. He will be great for 10 years-hopefully all in a Saints uniform.

It's clear that Reggie does need to change something. He's passing up 3 and four yard gains to take 3 and 4 yard losses. Those add up to a lot of 3rd and longs.

In the past, he has cut back into the defense after the defense was stretched and they all had committed themselves to angles of attack. That strategy won't work anymore because no one is going to give him the corner...not in this league.

Even Deuce had this problem for a while and Haslett criticised him, saying he needed to learn to put his foot in the ground and take what is there.

I doubt seriously that Reggie is afraid of contact. He's been a freaking running back his whole life. He needs to turn off his instincts for a while and consciously ram himself into those cracks and see what happens if he pops through.

Why is running out of bounds a bad thing? Walter Peyton used to run out of bounds on almost every play... it's pretty smart when you think about it, it will prolong his career.

From what I remember Payton was one dude who rarely ran out of bounds.

This "running out of bounds" debate is getting rediculous. All RB's use the sideline some time or another whether they are scared to get whacked by DL that is keying on him or they just don't see much else to be gained on the play.

The fact that the ENTIRE D keys on him makes it seem like he's playing kill the carrier and he's the one guy nobody likes so everyone wants to get a good crack on him. The only difference is that there is no sideline in kill the carrier (or atleast when I played).

If I were in his shoes knowing that everyone wants to get a lick on me and be the first to "introduce" me to the NFL, I'd have a fairly good relationship with the sidelines. It's better to know the sidelines are your friend before you learn it the hard way.

Avoidong contact is what good running backs do. It helps ensure you'll make it all 16 games.

Tiki Barber has said many many times that it took him a few years to learn how to avoid contact and also how to hold on to the ball.

Running back is one of the most short lived NFL careers. If a running back can learn how to avoid the big hit then they have a better chance of making it all season and having a big career.

Sometimes its better to go down and avoid the big hit than it is to fight for 1 more yard.

It helps ensure you'll make it all 16 games.

..........and there's the key to all this. A rookie making it through ALL 16 games and not the college 12 games. 4 more games with much more competition and ferocity.

Avoidong contact is what good running backs do. It helps ensure you'll make it all 16 games.

Tiki Barber has said many many times that it took him a few years to learn how to avoid contact and also how to hold on to the ball.

Running back is one of the most short lived NFL careers. If a running back can learn how to avoid the big hit then they have a better chance of making it all season and having a big career.

Sometimes its better to go down and avoid the big hit than it is to fight for 1 more yard.

I also remember seeing a piece on Warrick Dunn about how he tries to avoid hits because he knows he wouldnt still be in the game if he didnt. It's not that unusual, especially for the smaller guys. You just need to learn how to do it like Warrick Dunn where you still get yardage and avoid the big hits.

Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk avoid/avoided contact near the sideline as much as any running backs I've ever seen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom