Cole McDonald, QB Hawaii (1 Viewer)

He was the best rookie QB. Mahomes is special? You don’t say. When did I compare the two?

Whatever. I'm not looking to argue. Hawaii QBs don't typically translate to the NFL and I'd be highly skeptical of one as a "late round" gem. That's all I said.

If this McDonald kid is special, ok. But insinuating he could be a Gardner Minshew type talent isn't exactly getting my juices flowing.

Whatever. I'm not looking to argue. Hawaii QBs don't typically translate to the NFL and I'd be highly skeptical of one as a "late round" gem. That's all I said.

If this McDonald kid is special, ok. But insinuating he could be a Gardner Minshew type talent isn't exactly getting my juices flowing.

There’s only one Mahomes. If that’s what it takes to get your juices flowing...you’re juices could be pretty scarce for a decade or two.

The Hawaii system QB thing is lazy. June Jones is the coach who produced those results with a carousel of marginal QBs. He coaches in the XFL now. What Hawaii QBs under Jones did has no bearing on the present day.

There’s only one Mahomes. If that’s what it takes to get your juices flowing...you’re juices could be pretty scarce for a decade or two.

I feel like you are purposely misconstruing what I’m saying.

There’s a wide range of semi-exciting possibilities sitting between a late rounder from Hawaii or Gardner Minshew’s meh-ness and Patrick Mahommes.

And even though I expect no one to be Mahommes, there’s nothing wrong with aiming high.

I feel like you are purposely misconstruing what I’m saying.

There’s a wide range of semi-exciting possibilities sitting between a late rounder from Hawaii or Gardner Minshew’s meh-ness and Patrick Mahommes.

And even though I expect no one to be Mahommes, there’s nothing wrong with aiming high.

Would it make you more excited if the Hawaii QB turned into Daniel Jones or Kyler Murray? Both 1st rounders from last year? Because Minshew was better than both of those guys. Or perhaps he could turn into a low upside 2nd rounder like Drew Brees or an even lower upside 6th rounder in Tom Brady.

The Hawaii system QB thing is lazy. June Jones is the coach who produced those results with a carousel of marginal QBs. He coaches in the XFL now. What Hawaii QBs under Jones did has no bearing on the present day.

Lazy ????

1)... ok, a QB that throws for 4,135 yards and 33 TD's in a 12 game season, i'm not sure if i'd consider that lazy..

2). June Jones was NOT the coach, but Nick Rolovich was.. yes, he was/is a disciple of JJ on the coaching tree, not to mention a former UH QB himself, and yes he ran the run-n-shoot like JJ did, but you can't discount what Cole did while he was there.. Hawai'i (in true tradition for the past decade at least, minus the awful Norm Chow stint) has been a wide open pass happy offense.. This kid's a QB, and also a HS 100M & 200M track champion.. if you watch the vids posted & check him out when he takes off, you'll see what I mean..

So please, respect Cole for what he did, understand that June Jones was NOT the coach while he was there, and IMO Cole's gonna' be a helluva' QB when put under the right system.. & really, when you think about it the 2 best mentors in the world to teach this guy just might be CSP & DB, and then the Saints have their QB for the future..

I've been waiting like mad for the Saints to draft a true bona-fide QB for the past 3 or 4 years to have on the groom, Cole could be this guy, not saying he will be, but he "could be".. I'd just hate to see the Saints drop the ball, pass on him & watch him thrive with another ballclub.. It's happened too many times before , and time is running out quickly to have a young gunslinger learning under the current administration.. that's all i'm sayin' (for now)..

NW.

Last edited:
Hes gotta fix that throwing motion. That deep dip then whip release. Strip sack waiting to happen. Its can be difficult to change but it can be done. He goes thru mutiple reads. And he is not hesitant and good reactionary skills. Arm talent is his biggest negative to me. His balls tend to have alot of air on them. Very noticeable on boundary throws. Doesnt really throw on the run that well despite his athleticism. Hes best when his in rhythm with his rhythm bounce in the pocket. Tear drop type deep ball though despite the lack of arm strenght. Some Potential. Really good back up potential in my opinion. Alot better then i thought he was gonna be from a Hawaii QB.

Hes gotta fix that throwing motion. That deep dip then whip release. Strip sack waiting to happen. Its can be difficult to change but it can be done. He goes thru mutiple reads. And he is not hesitant and good reactionary skills. Arm talent is his biggest negative to me. His balls tend to have alot of air on them. Very noticeable on boundary throws. Doesnt really throw on the run that well despite his athleticism. Hes best when his in rhythm with his rhythm bounce in the pocket. Tear drop type deep ball though despite the lack of arm strenght. Some Potential. Really good back up potential in my opinion. Alot better then i thought he was gonna be from a Hawaii QB.

If anyone can fix this kid up it would be Lombardi.. btwn. him CSP & DB we'd have our future.. tellin' ya now, the 4th, he's just gotta be our guy.. Sooooo glad all the attention is on Love right now.. pleeeease let CM slide, pleeeease!

"A two-year starter under Nick Rolovich, McDonald operated Rolovich’s Run & Shoot offense with aplomb, compiling over 8,000 passing yards and 70 touchdowns with the Rainbow Warriors."

"The best thing about McDonald’s game are the physical traits he displays. In terms of pure arm talent, McDonald is among the top of this draft class, if not at the very top. There isn’t a throw Cole McDonald can’t make at any level of the field. The downfield threat that McDonald provides with the juice he puts on throws is uncanny."

NW.

Last edited:
Lazy ????

1)... ok, a QB that throws for 4,135 yards and 33 TD's in a 12 game season, i'm not sure if i'd consider that lazy..

2). June Jones was NOT the coach, but Nick Rolovich was.. yes, he was/is a disciple of JJ on the coaching tree, not to mention a former UH QB himself, and yes he ran the run-n-shoot like JJ did, but you can't discount what Cole did while he was there.. Hawai'i (in true tradition for the past decade at least, minus the awful Norm Chow stint) has been a wide open pass happy offense.. This kid's a QB, and also a HS 100M & 200M track champion.. if you watch the vids posted & check him out when he takes off, you'll see what I mean..

So please, respect Cole for what he did, understand that June Jones was NOT the coach while he was there, and IMO Cole's gonna' be a helluva' QB when put under the right system.. & really, when you think about it the 2 best mentors in the world to teach this guy just might be CSP & DB, and then the Saints have their QB for the future..

I've been waiting like mad for the Saints to draft a true bona-fide QB for the past 3 or 4 years to have on the groom, Cole could be this guy, not saying he will be, but he "could be".. I'd just hate to see the Saints drop the ball, pass on him & watch him thrive with another ballclub.. It's happened too many times before , and time is running out quickly to have a young gunslinger learning under the current administration.. that's all i'm sayin' (for now)..

NW.

I think the "lazy" comment was meaning its lazy to label Hawaii quaterbacks as system quarterbacks when it was June Jones who got some average qbs to put up good numbers, not that Cole is lazy, lol. I think you are arguing with someone who has the same opinion as you.

That being said, I hope the "system quarterback" label has him fall to later rounds and we take a flier on him.

I think the "lazy" comment was meaning its lazy to label Hawaii quaterbacks as system quarterbacks when it was June Jones who got some average qbs to put up good numbers, not that Cole is lazy, lol. I think you are arguing with someone who has the same opinion as you.

That being said, I hope the "system quarterback" label has him fall to later rounds and we take a flier on him.

Ahhhhhh, after re-reading that, yeah your right.. LoL.. cuz at 1st glance my initial thought was "lazy ??".. i'll put that to rest, my bad.. All I can say now is what i've been saying all along, I really hope he's there for the Saints in the 4th & we take him.. it's time to draft a young QB that has the intangibles to get the job done for the future of the team.. & ftr, who was the last true QB the Saints drafted ??.. was it Chase ??.. for the life of me I just can't remember right now, all I know is it's wayyyyyy over-due, that much is certain..

PS: ol' June not lookin' too bad right now either.. LoL!.. dem' Roughnecks... yessirrr!

NW.

Last edited:
Lazy ????

NW.

Re-read my post. I'm on your side.

Ok.. so without using google, why ??
.. trust, I know it's a tough decision, and an even tougher call, unless you've seen him play, but what wouldn't make the Saints take this guy in the 4th ??.. that is if he's still there.. shoot, IMO, if he is still there in the 4th i'd move up to at least 14 to grab him.. I know that sounds like a helluva' move, but damn, if he's there.. smh..

TBH, all I can think of right now is last pre-draft when the Saints moved up and I thought for sure we were going to draft LJ, and then they go with MD.. & this is a LOT low-risk high reward IF it's played right.. @bobad : I like your answer, but why ??

NW.

Why? Because I'm a lazy fan.

Kidding aside, when I watch him, he looks like a long term project. I would have to watch game tape, his highlights show nothing but a clean pocket and wide-open receivers. I don't see him scanning the field, possibly the reason for all the INT's, and that's a worry.

Ok, so for his very last game at Hawai'i i'll post this.. it's the SOFI-Hawai'i Bowl vs. BYU & this just wraps up exactly what/who Cole is.. So if you have a few, kick back and watch, f-fwd will be your good friend considering it's the whole game.. LoL.. & don't just pay attention to Cole (although that's the point), but there's a couple nice WR's (Cedric Byrd, Jo-Jo Ward) to keep an eye on as well... but in the meantime, enjoy.. (the 2nd drive is nice btw.. start @ 12:23 in the 1st)

NW.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom