Colin Powell dies (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I was pretty sure he was a skeptic...until he reluctantly acquiesced. And he'd said on several occasions that this was a blot on his record and clearly he regretted being involved with it.

That said, let's move this discussion to the MAP site.
It should be possible to pay respects and talk about political aspirations without getting into political trash-talking.

Last edited:
He was a great American. The country is a worse place without him in it.

RIP sir
Case and point, his reaction to receiving help from a fellow Vet:

Powell thanked Maggert, writing, “You touched my soul and reminded me about what this country is all about and why it is so great. Let's stop screaming at each other. Let's just take care of each other. You made my day.”
Here's hoping that his children aren't reading some of the disgusting responses to his passing. (Not talking about the responses shared here)

Contrary to any political reason, I believe that though he probably deeply wanted to and knew he would win in a landslide, the most fundamental reason he never ran for president is because of his wife. He was concerned about her ability to handle the enormity of such an undertaking, the loss of privacy, the toll that all that would take on her mental health status. She suffered from debilitating depression. That's why I respect him. The man could have been the leader of the free world but he wasn't going to sacrifice his wife to do so even though he denied it. It's more complicated than that but I think that's why he never fought for it.

In my opinion, especially these days, no sane or normal person runs for president.

Last edited:
Contrary to any political reason, I believe that though he probably deeply wanted to and knew he would win in a landslide, the most fundamental reason he never ran for president is because of his wife. He was concerned about her ability to handle the enormity of such an undertaking, the loss of privacy, the toll that all that would take on her mental health status. She suffered from debilitating depression. That's why I respect him. The man could have been the leader of the free world but he wasn't going to sacrifice his wife to do so even though he denied it. It's more complicated than that but I think that's why he never fought for it.

In my opinion, especially these days, no sane or normal person runs for president.
I'd like to think normal, sane people would run, and I think there are some, but these days, sane/normal often doesn't win elections.

That said, great point about Powell. I remember reading about that somewhere that he didn't run because of his wife. Which I think is reasonable. Maybe having already been through the grinder as Secretary of State ruled out doing more after that.

I'd like to think normal, sane people would run, and I think there are some, but these days, sane/normal often doesn't win elections.

That said, great point about Powell. I remember reading about that somewhere that he didn't run because of his wife. Which I think is reasonable. Maybe having already been through the grinder as Secretary of State ruled out doing more after that.
Oh, I'd like to think so, too. I just don't think it's possible. It's why, I think, I have decided not to vote anymore.

And my opinion isn't a critique on his wife. It's saying nothing about her and everything about him and his character which is why he would have made an excellent president.

Oh, I'd like to think so, too. I just don't think it's possible. It's why, I think, I have decided not to vote anymore.

And my opinion isn't a critique on his wife. It's saying nothing about her and everything about him and his character which is why he would have made an excellent president.
Absolutely. I meant that he made the decision for her sake. That makes him more honorable to me than just about anything else he's done. Didn't mean to imply that it was about her. Just meant the choice he made out of consideration for her.

My marriage is more important to me than my career. And I wouldn't choose a career that would hurt my wife. At least I'd like to think so. Fwiw, fortunately for me, my wife hasn't ever complained about my not always great career choices. :hihi:

Absolutely. I meant that he made the decision for her sake. That makes him more honorable to me than just about anything else he's done. Didn't mean to imply that it was about her. Just meant the choice he made out of consideration for her.

My marriage is more important to me than my career. And I wouldn't choose a career that would hurt my wife. At least I'd like to think so. Fwiw, fortunately for me, my wife hasn't ever complained about my not always great career choices. :hihi:
Yep, honor. The word I was trying to conjure up. Thank you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom