College Football Playoff Games thread (1 Viewer)

Because of Nick Saban's success these 'lopsided' contests will continue. All the big kids want to play on the team with the best chance of giving them positive exposure for the NFL. The only way one of their prized recruits will go somewhere other than Bama is if they are so loaded at the position that they won't get many opportunities to got out on the field and showcase their talent. Bama will continue to have the most talented giants for a long time.
Didn’t Kamara start at Alabama?

It's just a gut feeling and no proof to back it up. I believe Dabo Swinney will be the next Bama HC when Saban finally
steps down. If he does they most likely won't miss a lick.
I can understand that with Sweeny's history with 'Bama but otherwise I just don't get why he would go on to a mansion somebody else built when he's built his own mansion.

I can understand that with Sweeny's history with 'Bama but otherwise I just don't get why he would go on to a mansion somebody else built when he's built his own mansion.
The ACC cannot compete financially with the SEC. it's the reason Fisher left for A&M. Fla. St. wouldn't upgrade their
facilities. With the exception of Clemson the ACC is struggling in football.

Yes, never played in a game for them, though.

He had a few legal issues after he left Alabama, so he went to a junior college for a year before transferring to Tennessee for his last two years.
Sounds like a 'swing & a miss' by Saban there. A lot like the call he made with the Dolphins when looking for a QB. :scratch:

Sounds like a 'swing & a miss' by Saban there. A lot like the call he made with the Dolphins when looking for a QB. :scratch:
Nah, can't fault Saban on this one, IMO. I'd call it more of an embarrassment of riches.

With Alvin, there were 7 RBs on the team, including TJ Yeldon, Kenyan Drake, and that little fella Derrick Henry. That's just sick.

Also, Alvin admits that his not sticking with Alabama was because of his immaturity. He learned a lot from that experience and his legal issues, so that's all a part of what makes him the great guy he is today.

Nah, can't fault Saban on this one, IMO. I'd call it more of an embarrassment of riches.

With Alvin, there were 7 RBs on the team, including TJ Yeldon, Kenyan Drake, and that little fella Derrick Henry. That's just sick.

Also, Alvin admits that his not sticking with Alabama was because of his immaturity. He learned a lot from that experience and his legal issues, so that's all a part of what makes him the great guy he is today.
Yep, it's impossible for Nick to go wrong with the smorgasbord of great backs signing with Bama each year.

:sad:

There's too many games on, I dunno what to watch. Was gonna watch Citrus Bowl because I've been to that one but settled on Outback Bowl cos I know a couple people who are there and, also, Penn State, even though I've never been a Blue and Whiter.

Looks like the SEC may finally have a good run today.

The ACC cannot compete financially with the SEC. it's the reason Fisher left for A&M. Fla. St. wouldn't upgrade their
facilities. With the exception of Clemson the ACC is struggling in football.
Look face, sometimes a HC gets way too stuck in his ways, stays at a certain college, has overwhelming outsized success, and his family is comfortably suited and well-liked by faculty, staff, players, and alumni and he becomes so enamored, and he stays there so long, he can't leave even if Mama's calling, or the best financial offer from his beloved alma mater arrived, its just the timing and the circumstances aren't right anymore.

Dabo, IIRC, is 52 years old and has been HC of Clemson going on almost 14 years, he isn't that energetic young man anymore who could deal with ultra-high, unrealistic yearly expectations Bama trustees, board members, and alumni demand and usually get from their college football HC. Sweeney isn't the control-freak, egotistical smug, petty, vindictive butt crevasse Saban is in that he can demand (and achieve) full control of recruiting, money, hiring and firing his own assistants, Sweeney would have a hard time handling the tyrannical, weaponized egos that dominate and have sort of loss a lot of their power they once had before Saban arrived and could dictate terms however and whenever they felt the need to. Being a successful HC at Alabama requires being a extremely strong, powerful, passionate, demanding and sometimes thick-skinned persona. Bear Bryant had that persona and it arguably led to him dying two months after he stepped down as Tide HC and last game against Illinois in the 1983 Liberty Bowl. Go to YouTube and find an old video of what Bryant looked like in his last game as Bama's HC, he looked like one foot was already falling into the grave and honestly the last couple years of his life, he looked prematurely 10-15 years older than a man in his late 60's. Thats the type of fate awaiting Sweeney if he decides to finish his HC career at Alabama, plus try desperately.to avoid competing in the shadow of Saban's legacy.

It's a situation he can easily avoid and he can have a nice retirement, with his 250 NCAAF HC wins at Clemson and reflect back on a life well lived and be happy with the smart, incisive decisions you made to stay somewhere where you succeeded to the ultimate degree without ruining your personal health.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom