College Football Rule Changes (1 Viewer)

philipkw

Truth Finder
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
* The 25-second clock is gone. Instead, the college game will be like the NFL. There will be a 40-second clock that will start immediately after the end of each play. Previously, the 25-second clock didn't start until the ball was marked ready to play by the officials.

* The clock will stop when a player goes out of bounds, but the clock will restart when the ball is marked ready for play. Previously, the clock did not start until the ball was snapped. The new rule will not apply in the final two minutes of the first half or the final two minutes of the game.

* All facemask penalties will be 15 yards. There will no 5-yard incidental facemask penalty. That's a return to the rules of the 1970s.

* When a kickoff goes out of bounds, the receiving team will have the option of taking the ball on its 40-yard line, instead of the 35 as the past. This is another change that copies the NFL.

* Coaches who use an instant replay challenge will get an extra one if a challenge is upheld. Previously, coaches had just one challenge, regardless of what the ruling was.

* There will no longer be sideline warnings for players and coaches who crowd the field during games. Instead, officials can assess a 5-yard penalty without warning.

* A "horse collar" tackle, in which a defender grabs a runner inside the back of his shoulder pads, will now be a personal foul.

I like all the rule changes except for:

* The 25-second clock is gone. Instead, the college game will be like the NFL. There will be a 40-second clock that will start immediately after the end of each play. Previously, the 25-second clock didn't start until the ball was marked ready to play by the officials.

That was my favorite difference between the NFL and College that if you had no timeouts and had to go the length of the field in a short amount of time, you didn't have to abandon the middle of the field.

I dislike the change in running out of bounds. Do we really need to add more commercial time to college football games?

I hate most of these too...

I like the idea of the extra challenge and a personal foul for collar tackles.

I dislike the change in running out of bounds. Do we really need to add more commercial time to college football games?

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I believe this will result in less time for commercials. Old rule was that you run of bounds the clock would not start until the ball was snapped starting the next play - now clock will start when the ball is set.
I don;t mind either way, but I do not like that the rules suddenly become different inside of 2 minutes of a half.
I don;t like the 40 second rule.

College football keeps trying to shorten the game for some reason... I don't understand why.

Prediction: Most of these rules will be overturned ASAP.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but I believe this will result in less time for commercials. Old rule was that you run of bounds the clock would not start until the ball was snapped starting the next play - now clock will start when the ball is set.
I don;t mind either way, but I do not like that the rules suddenly become different inside of 2 minutes of a half.
I don;t like the 40 second rule.

The assumption is that this rule will help shorten the game. In reality, game play will be shortened making room for more commercials.

Game play won't be shortened. Scoring will be lower and a ton of clock infraction penalties will more than make up for anything else.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom