College Playoffs (1 Viewer)

If you want the best team to win it all then you need the four best teams represented, not this "everyone has a chance" BS. I have no interest is seeing UCF get blown out in the college football playoffs because their undefeated record vs ****ty teams looks good on paper.

I know it'll never happen. Just thinking out loud.

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Georgia
  5. Oklahoma
  6. Ohio State
  7. Michigan
  8. UCF
  9. Florida
  10. LSU
A few thoughts... tOSU clearly showed they were better than 1 ranking spot better than Michigan. The Wolverines built a resume on beating up on terrible teams. They got exposed by Ohio State and then quit before the game was done. They do t beling in the top ten. Period.

I think UCF has a pretty good shot at losing to Memphis this weekend. They'll fall pretty far should that occur. Too bad be ause with Melton at QB, they were fun to watch.

I guess the pollsters were impressed with back to back blowout losses by UGA and Mizzou. Not sure how they can have them ranked higher than LSU at this point, head-to-head be damned. LSU didn't get blown out by an unranked team.

LSU is in a good spot for a NY6 game at #10. I'm pulling for UGA to take the upset so they're not competing for a NY6 game. If they lose and OU wins, the Sooners are #4 I think. OU vs Bama is the game we all want to see I think anyway, but that puts UGA in the Sugar and UF in the Fiesta for an at-large spot.

OU is for sure better than tOSU, but they draw an actual solid team to play for their conference CG until the Buckeyes who get Northwestern. I still think they should be lower, but no one else has made the case to be higher so they get it by default.

Here's Stewart Mandel's latest projects for the New Year's 6 from his article on The Athletic. MLU would like this if it happened.

New Year’s Six bowls
Dec. 29 | Cotton | Arlington, Texas
Clemson (CFP No. 2) vs. Notre Dame (CFP No. 3)
Dec. 29 | Orange | Miami Alabama (CFP No. 1) vs. Oklahoma (CFP No. 4)
Dec. 29 | Peach | Atlanta Michigan (at-large) vs. Florida (at-large)
Jan. 1 | Fiesta | Glendale, Ariz. LSU (at-large) vs. Boise State (at-large)
Jan. 1 | Rose | Pasadena, Calif. Ohio State (Big Ten) vs. Washington (Pac-12)
Jan. 1 | Sugar | New Orleans Texas (Big 12) vs. Georgia (SEC)

The solution is super simple as was previously stated earlier. 8 team playoff.

You have the winners of each Power 5 conference and 3 at large bids. The first round matchups would be at the home of the higer ranked teams. 1v8, 2v7, etc.
Second round would be at the bowl sites like they have now (so this year would be Orange and Cotton bowls)
Then Championship final at a big NFL stadium but maybe have it rotate to different cities. Not just places affiliated with bowls. Like let's say in Minny's new stadium or MetLife in New York. Something different.

So this year would look like this:
#1- SEC champ Bama (assuming they win their title game)
#2-ACC champ Clemson (assuming they win their title game)
#3-Big Ten champ-Ohio State (assuming they win their title game)
#4- Big 12 Champ- Oklahoma (assuming they win their title game)
#5- At large bid- Notre Dame (however in my system you have to be in a conference, sorry Irish. You want to be in the playoff, you have to be in a conference.)
#6- Pac 12 Champ- Washington (assuming they win their title game)
#7- At large bid- Georgia
#8- At large bid- UCF (assuming they win their title game)

So First round you would have: Bama vs. UCF, Clemson vs. Georgia, Ohio St. vs. Washington, Oklahoma vs. Notre Dame.
Second round (let's assume higher seeds win): Bama vs. Oklahoma and Clemson vs. Ohio st.
Final: Bama vs. Clemson

Now doesn't that look better? Then when really good teams like Bama don't win their own division much less conference title they still can get in and prove they deserve to be in. Plus it gives teams like UCF or a Boise State a chance to play with the big boys when and if they go undefeated. Makes sense right. I would also like to see all conference play the same number of conference games. right now Pac-12 and i think big 12 play 9 conference games while others like SEC only play 8. We should all play 9. 9 conference games with 3 non conference games.
Think about it. Does LSU really need to play Rice in Nov.? Also only conference games in November. Non of this cupcake garbage at the end of the year. Keep games meaningful at the end of the year. Doesn't all this make sense??? I guess that is why we probably won't see it happen though right???? SMH.

Doesn't all this make sense??? I guess that is why we probably won't see it happen though right???? SMH.

You're exactly right. It's so simple that it's almost unbelievable that it's not done this way. I'd love to see it like this.

No brainer on expanding the playoff.

So UCF is ranked 7th.

I can think of 4 teams ranked lower that’d beat UCF and one is LSU.

Last edited:
MLU, what if most of us are severely underestimating UCF and their chances at being in a major bowl game this year or years afterwards? Remember that famous Boise St./Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl matchup where Boise St. won on a Statue of Liberty play in 2OT? Nobody, except for very few people and all the experts, gave Boise St. a chance to win that game and they did spectacularly and went undefeated again 3 years later in 2009, Chris Petersen had a very successful career as HC at Boise then later on now at Washington? Winning 24 games in a row is not easy, I don't care who the team is in most circumstances. Ohio St. under Urban Meyer have won 20+ games in a row twice. I believe UCF deserves the opportunity, even if they get blown out by tOSU, OU, Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. As an Auburn fan who remembers how one of our greatest teams in school history got forked by the BCS after going undefeated in 2004 is a hard pill to swallow and makes me empathetic to similar programs I perceive getting similar treatment. How many more seasons will they have to go undefeated to satisfy this incredibly high standard that their finally ready to play in the CFB in January?

The more UCF continues winning and extending its streak and being downplayed by the mainstream sports media, ostracized and ridiculed by fans like us, it's makes us look more ridiculous persistently saying there second or third rate program doesn't belong. Now, some of you on here may not want to hear that and perhaps in the final analysis UCF will prove you right by getting blown out, but at least give them that same opportunity Hawaii had about 10-11 years ago playing Georgia in Sugar Bowl.

MLU, what if most of us are severely underestimating UCF and their chances at being in a major bowl game this year or years afterwards? Remember that famous Boise St./Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl matchup where Boise St. won on a Statue of Liberty play in 2OT? Nobody, except for very few people and all the experts, gave Boise St. a chance to win that game and they did spectacularly and went undefeated again 3 years later in 2009, Chris Petersen had a very successful career as HC at Boise then later on now at Washington? Winning 24 games in a row is not easy, I don't care who the team is in most circumstances. Ohio St. under Urban Meyer have won 20+ games in a row twice. I believe UCF deserves the opportunity, even if they get blown out by tOSU, OU, Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. As an Auburn fan who remembers how one of our greatest teams in school history got forked by the BCS after going undefeated in 2004 is a hard pill to swallow and makes me empathetic to similar programs I perceive getting similar treatment. How many more seasons will they have to go undefeated to satisfy this incredibly high standard that their finally ready to play in the CFB in January?

The more UCF continues winning and extending its streak and being downplayed by the mainstream sports media, ostracized and ridiculed by fans like us, it's makes us look more ridiculous persistently saying there second or third rate program doesn't belong. Now, some of you on here may not want to hear that and perhaps in the final analysis UCF will prove you right by getting blown out, but at least give them that same opportunity Hawaii had about 10-11 years ago playing Georgia in Sugar Bowl.
Are you saying this because they beat Auburn last year? If you ask me, that just adds to their growing list of weak teams they're trying to build their name on.

I wouldn't call our 2017 team "weak", MLU, we beat Georgia and Alabama convincingly to win the SEC West and kept the SECCG close until start of the 4th quarter. In fact, had we had won last year's SECCG, we would've ended up as one of the top 4 teams in last years CFP selection poll. That doesn't meet the litmus test of being a weak team, especially one that won 10 games, at least from my vantage point. But yes, UCF did beat us in a close Peach Bowl game in Atlanta and we ended up finishing ranked #17 or #18. Granted, it was a disappointing end to what had been a very good season up the point, but that doesn't make 2017 Auburn Tigers weak or that UCF beating us makes us a weak team as evidence of defeating weak teams to add to their current resume. I admit that I'm an Auburn on a SR forum which has a large percentage of LSU fans who make up a majority, I've known that for nearly 20 years as an observer and as a regular poster. I can take the punches on Saturday because on Sunday we're all rooting for our Saints. I say this because I think your LSU-centric fandom or SEC-centric bias overall likely influenced your above-mentioned reply to my earlier post.

And I'll say it again: Perhaps UCF is a second or third rate program that doesn't belong or deserve any place in the discussion in the CFB polls, maybe the overall consensus that once they face a top-ranked opponent in the Fiesta Bowl or Sugar Bowl like Oklahoma, tOSU, Clemson, Notre Dame, Washington they'll be blown out by 4 TDs like Hawaii was about 11 years ago by Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. But at least give them the same chance Boise St. got 12 years ago vs. Oklahoma in Fiesta Bowl. MLU, that's considered by most college football experts, fans of both programs, analysts as one of the best and most exciting college bowl games ever. But that great, exciting game would've never happened if then BCS-experts had to listened to most so-called CFB experts, analysts, corporate aides who belittled Boise St. as unworthy to take on a perennial powerhouse like Oklahoma who's HC had won a NC and had taken Sooners to several other BCCCG's after that and would again.

UCF has come close to losing several times during their current 24-game winning streak. They almost lost to Memphis in last year's AAC Championship Game which went to like 4 OTs, a week before they barely won over South Florida, their biggest divisional in-state rival, in a shootout. Their were 2-3 close games they won this season they almost lost. Any team, college or NFL, that has a winning streak of this length is going to win close games they otherwise probably should've lost. I don't care if your team's name is Alabama, Ohio St., USC Trojans which won 34 consecutive games from 2003-2006, LSU, 2003-04 NE Patriots who won 21 consecutive games(regular/postseason).

Notre Dame is in with Alabama win or lose. Notre Dame wants Alabama to win because they don't want to get lambasted in the first round. I think they have a slight chance at least to make a game of it against anyone else. Alabama isn't falling out of the top four unless maybe they get destroyed by Georgia in the SECG, which I doubt. If Alabama loses the seating will be interesting. Clemson and OU are in if they win. OU has the toughest game with a good UT team. Northwestern may give tOSU some trouble because that's what they do. An tOSU or OU match up with Alabama would be interesting due to their dynamic offenses. Both have good lines and receivers and Alabama's DBs are its weakest link. Defensively I don't think either can stop Alabama. The most difficult game Alabama will have is against Georgia. It don't think there is much difference between tOSU and OU but at least OU lost to a ranked team. Overall the Big 10 is weak even with 2 teams in the top team.

OU has the toughest game with a good UT team. Northwestern may give tOSU some trouble because that's what they do. An tOSU or OU match up with Alabama would be interesting due to their dynamic offenses. Both have good lines and receivers and Alabama's DBs are its weakest link. Defensively I don't think either can stop Alabama. The most difficult game Alabama will have is against Georgia. It don't think there is much difference between tOSU and OU but at least OU lost to a ranked team.
Ohio has the best chance against bama imo. Oklahoma’s defense will be decimated. Ohio’s defense stands a chance and their offense can certainly score points.
I really want to see Saban vs Meyer for the national championship because while I know Ohio has some ability and is probably the best opponent, Bama will beat them and Meyer will have so suck it

I don't know how good tOSU's defense is. Shutting down a below average UM offense at home really doesn't impress me much. The Big 10 is just not that good so I don't know how good tOSU is. They gave up 50 or so to Purdue. I know OU's defense won't stop them. I still think Georgia is the only team that can slow them down. They have the athletes and Kirby Smart can coached them up. No one seems to be giving ND much of a chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom