College Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Bayou, Notre Dame hasn't exactly sucked in recent seasons to the extent some posters infer or that their team is downright pathetic or mediocre. This is the second time a Brian Kelly-led Notre Dame squad has gone undefeated during regular season play. Holding their independent conference status against them is kinda weak because some of you on here wanted A UGA team who lost their SECCG to Bama in among the Top 4 CFP teams over OU or Ohio State who did win their respective conference championships. And then there's idiots like Herbstreit who say I don't put stock into championships, but the best teams. Notre Dame can't win for losing based on these people's confusing, contradictory standards. Opinion football stating who we or the experts THINK should be in isn't always a complete absolute measuring stick to everything in sports or life in general frankly.

Maybe Georgia would've beaten OU and Ohio State on the field but nobody here can say that as an absolute certainty unless they want to appear like forking idiots. Spouting off SOS, tougher schedules, teams overall talents strengths that's just stats spouting. That's why stats are for NFL fan forums like SR and why we still play the games. That's the ultimate decider and Georgia had their chance and they didn't win.

End of story, nothing else to see here at least for rest of this season.

Agreed regarding ND. IMO, they should require all teams in the FCS to join a conference if they want to be considered for the playoffs. Basically, they're getting a pass by not participating in a title game and essentially steals a spot from other conferences trying to get their best team in the dance. ND's sos is the worst of the top teams iirc.
ND’s SOS was stronger than Clemson’s. What’s Clemson’s best win? A nail biter at A&M? Clemson’s schedule was a joke, and the ACC was down this year too.

Yeah, Clemson is #2 because of what they've done the past two years. I wouldn't be surprised one buit to see them lose to Notre Dame. They should have lost to TAMU.

Georgia is one of the top four best teams in the country.

Also, I believe that LSU could give Oklahoma a very good game.

Tua had high ankle sprain and had a surgical procedure this morning.

Seems like a quick recovery for a high ankle sprain

Tua had high ankle sprain and had a surgical procedure this morning.

Seems like a quick recovery for a high ankle sprain

Pat Swilling said it was the worst injury he had in his career. He said he wasn't fully recovered until 8 weeks.

UGA has nothing to complain about. They had bama beat, two years in a row, and let them off the hook. Kirby smart lost that game.

You wanna make the playoffs, then you should have won your game. If they were undefeated and their only loss was a close one to #1 Bama, then yeah, maybe, but the games have to mean something. Did anyone really want to see Georgia vs. Bama again, a week after they just played??? Why do we even have conferences anymore then??
Maybe LSU should just be an independent like Notre Dame and make our own schedule and then we won't have to play Bama every year then.
The regular season and conference titles have to mean something. Otherwise it is just a beauty contest.

UGA has nothing to complain about. They had bama beat, two years in a row, and let them off the hook. Kirby smart lost that game.

You wanna make the playoffs, then you should have won your game. If they were undefeated and their only loss was a close one to #1 Bama, then yeah, maybe, but the games have to mean something. Did anyone really want to see Georgia vs. Bama again, a week after they just played??? Why do we even have conferences anymore then??
Maybe LSU should just be an independent like Notre Dame and make our own schedule and then we won't have to play Bama every year then.
The regular season and conference titles have to mean something. Otherwise it is just a beauty contest.
LSU would never survive as a independent. The program doesn’t have the brand that Notre Dame has.

LSU would never survive as a independent. The program doesn’t have the brand that Notre Dame has.

I understand that LSU going independent would probably never happen. They get a ton of money from the SEC that enables them to keep other non-revenue generating sports around.
But it is an interesting thought. What if more teams just decided to go Independent and make their own schedules. Like let's say UCF went independent and played the same schedule as Notre Dame and went undefeated as well. Would UCF then get in??? I'm not so sure. I mean they SHOULD, but they probably won't as they don't have the 'Prestige' of a Notre Dame or Bama or USC. College football has become a Beauty Paegent. It is now which teams LOOK the best and who is going to bring in ratings and fans. Which shouldn't be the case.
It should be decided on the field.
Think about why the NCAA Basketball tourney is so good. Because they have a bunch of different teams and styles and it exposes people to programs that they might not otherwise ever see play. Think about Butler from a few years ago. How great was it having them in the tourney and the title games. Teams like Gonzaga, Wichita State, VCU, etc. got a chance to play the big boys and showed that they could compete even if it was just for one game. Why don't they get the same shot in football??

If they or we truly want to know who the best team is for a given year, not the best program, then they need to expand the playoffs and let some different teams in. Cause since the playoff started we have seen the same teams over and over again. Look at who we have gotten since the playoffs started:
Bama- 5 times
Clemson- 4 times
Oklahoma- 3 times
Ohio State- 2 times
Oregon, Notre Dame, Fl. State, Washington, Georgia- all 1 time each

So, yeah, kind of like watching the same games over and over again. It's time to let some other teams in. If it was an 8 team playoff you would have had:
Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Washington, UCF, and I guess Georgia (although I would prefer someone else, UGA had their shot to beat bama) . Still kind of the same teams but at least you have the possibility of new matchups. UCF could beat one of those teams and then everything is in disarray. Or let's say it was Michigan over UGA or whoever. At least it would be some different games. I'm tired of seeing Bama/clemson every year.
Just my thoughts. I think the 8 team playoff would make the regular season mean more since you now have to win your conference to get a guaranteed shot at the playoff.

I understand that LSU going independent would probably never happen. They get a ton of money from the SEC that enables them to keep other non-revenue generating sports around.
But it is an interesting thought. What if more teams just decided to go Independent and make their own schedules. Like let's say UCF went independent and played the same schedule as Notre Dame and went undefeated as well. Would UCF then get in??? I'm not so sure. I mean they SHOULD, but they probably won't as they don't have the 'Prestige' of a Notre Dame or Bama or USC. College football has become a Beauty Paegent. It is now which teams LOOK the best and who is going to bring in ratings and fans. Which shouldn't be the case.
Think about why the NCAA Basketball tourney is so good. Because they have a bunch of different teams and styles and it exposes people to programs that they might not otherwise ever see play. Think about Butler from a few years ago. How great was it having them in the tourney and the title games. Teams like Gonzaga, Wichita State, VCU, etc. got a chance to play the big boys and showed that they could compete even if it was just for one game. Why don't they get the same shot in football??

If they or we truly want to know who the best team is for a given year, not the best program, then they need to expand the playoffs and let some different teams in. Cause since the playoff started we have seen the same teams over and over again. Look at who we have gotten since the playoffs started:
Bama- 5 times
Clemson- 4 times
Oklahoma- 3 times
Ohio State- 2 times

So, yeah, kind of like watching the same games over and over again. It's time to let some other teams in. If it was an 8 team playoff you would have had:
Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Washington, UCF, and I guess Georgia (although I would prefer someone else, UGA had their shot to beat bama) . Still kind of the same teams but at least you have the possibility of new matchups. UCF could beat one of those teams and then everything is in disarray. Or let's say it was Michigan over UGA or whoever. At least it would be some different games. I'm tired of seeing Bama/clemson every year.
Just my thoughts. I think the 8 team playoff would make the regular season mean more since you now have to win your conference to get a guaranteed shot at the playoff.

Like your thought here

Not Sure how scheduling works really never could figure it out..... I would love to see a 8 team playoff based on the top 4 conference winners which this year would be Bama-Clemson-UCF-Oklahoma then Notre Dame - Georgia - OSU - Washington sorry but I would leave out all teams without a Conference Championship Game for the top 4 slots. However to have an 8 team playoff system the season would need to be reduced from 12 to 10 game seasons....

Bama- 5 times
Clemson- 4 times
Oklahoma- 3 times
Ohio State- 2 times

It’ll never happen. Notre Dame is allowed because of the brand and more importantly, the TV contract. They have an exclusive national deal with NBC. No other school could get that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom