College Question (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have a question about college i was just wondering if any of yall knew the answer too. My freshman year at LSU i had a little too much fun and did very poor in school, making a 1.0 gpa. my second year i transfered to brcc to get back on track and made a 3.75. so, if i go back to LSU, does my gpa start all over again, or do i have to still work to bring that 1.0 back up? thanks

Usually, you have to apply for academic amnesty to get the 1.0 wiped out. You'll be starting all over, but you can get your GPA off to a good, fresh start.

thanks man! I am definitly going to look into that because i want to go back to LSU so bad but it would be a challenge to bring a 1.0 up!

Some colleges offer (or did offer) "academic bankruptcy." IIRC, a student had to be out of college for a few years (atleast four maybe?) and could elect to start over with a clean slate. All grades, good and bad, are wiped away.

When I was at LSUS years ago, there was a repeat-delete policy. You could retake a course you did poorly in and if you earned a higher grade, that would replace the lower grade in factoring your GPA -- though both grades remained on record.

But that's all "grain of salt" type stuff. Your best bet is to speak directly with Admissions at LSU and find out exactly what you need to do to get back in.

I can't imagine your GPA will start over. Where you could benefit is if any of the classes you took at BRCC transfer, that would elevate your GPA. Again, you'd need to talk to somebody in Admissions or an Academic Advisor to determine which, if any, classes will transfer.

Here is the policy on Academic Bankruptcy from the 2007-2008 LSU online catalog:

Academic Bankruptcy

Under specified conditions, undergraduate students who have interrupted their college careers for a period of at least five consecutive calendar years may, at the time of application for admission to the University, declare academic bankruptcy. Under this policy all college work taken at an earlier date is eliminated from computation of the grade-point average and cannot be applied toward a degree at LSU. Such work will remain on the student's scholastic records and transcripts, but will not be used in the computation of the grade point average for honors or the University Medal. It will, however, be used to compute the grade point average for admission to graduate and professional study.

Students qualifying for academic bankruptcy will be admitted on scholastic probation. Details of this policy may be obtained from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

http://www.lsu.edu/catalogs/2007/074ureg.shtml

The link, in general, should be useful. I'd spend some time reading through the information but still, go talk to somebody at LSU Admissions. It can't hurt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom