College Transfer Portal going crazy! (2 Viewers)

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Maybe I’m just noticing it this year because LSU has had so many kids go to the portal this year which is highly unusual, especially kids that were already starters and Top players (Ricks, Johnson, possibly Boutte). IMO kids these days are now following the money thanks to the new rules. There have been a few HC’s step up and talk about it so far. As much as I don’t like Lane Kiffen he spoke up on how money is making recruiting more like FA.

A lot of QB’s that were already starters on good teams are transfering, Bo Nix, Rattler, Calzada, the Freshman from OSU, and Max Johnson to name a few. I fear things are going to keep getting worse.

Trey Palmer just entered the portal.

Yes, it is college football free agency. The transfer portal is the vehicle and the NIL is the money.

Trey Palmer just entered the portal.

Yes, it is college football free agency. The transfer portal is the vehicle and the NIL is the money.
I tend to agree, but where is the money coming from in Tuscaloosa? Is Sabin helping to get endorsement deals? Why haven’t the LSU boosters stepped up?

Maybe I’m just noticing it this year because LSU has had so many kids go to the portal this year which is highly unusual, especially kids that were already starters and Top players (Ricks, Johnson, possibly Boutte). IMO kids these days are now following the money thanks to the new rules. There have been a few HC’s step up and talk about it so far. As much as I don’t like Lane Kiffen he spoke up on how money is making recruiting more like FA.

A lot of QB’s that were already starters on good teams are transfering, Bo Nix, Rattler, Calzada, the Freshman from OSU, and Max Johnson to name a few. I fear things are going to keep getting worse.
This. Everything I dislike about the NFL is coming to college. I feel like it's only a matter of time before I become disinterested in college football too, now.

This. Everything I dislike about the NFL is coming to college. I feel like it's only a matter of time before I become disinterested in college football too, now.
I can see it becoming worse than the NFL. What’s to stop top, elite universities with wealthy alums/boosters from accumulating top recruits and transfers, with the silent promise of large NIL money? At least the NFL has a salary cap. There’s gonna have to be caps on how much these kids can earn.

I can see it becoming worse than the NFL. What’s to stop top, elite universities with wealthy alums/boosters from accumulating top recruits and transfers, with the silent promise of large NIL money? At least the NFL has a salary cap. There’s gonna have to be caps on how much these kids can earn.
The only pleasure I derive from this is seeing TAMU spend millions to lose to LSU and their second string defense...

truth. There's no loyalty anymore. It sucks. These kids are selfish. A school offers them a scholarship, room, board, training , platform to showcase their skills they were taught, then jump ship when they don't get their way. Great life lesson right there, eh? Instant gratification at it's finest. Let alone this NIL $ they get now. When the 97% of them have to go get a real job in the real world and can't understand why life is so unfair to them, they can't handle it.

truth. There's no loyalty anymore. It sucks. These kids are selfish. A school offers them a scholarship, room, board, training , platform to showcase their skills they were taught, then jump ship when they don't get their way. Great life lesson right there, eh? Instant gratification at it's finest. Let alone this NIL $ they get now. When the 97% of them have to go get a real job in the real world and can't understand why life is so unfair to them, they can't handle it.
I've read that most kids that jump back into the portal find that no one wants them and they don't have a place back at their original school when they decide to come back. There are more than a few talented kids at LSU who entered the portal and then dropped out of college. Too many expect to be stars overnight and don't seem willing to do what it takes to be developed.

I can't be mad at them though. They're just following the example of their coaches and mentors, always looking for a better offer.

I think LSU was slow to adjust to the new realty of NIL deals. As an grasped the impact right away. Apparently TA&M did as well. I remain convinced Ricks was lured to Baja with an NIL deal.

Now Caleb Williams. I wouldn't mind LSU picking him up. He shouldn't be scared of Walker coming in.

Caleb Williams will go to the highest NIL bidder. This is what college football is becoming. A quasi-free agency.

At least with NFL free agency there is usually a multi year contract that is slightly more difficult to get out of.

The school makes millions off them and can process them out at any time. Lets not pretend that the university makes some kind of honorable committment to these kids and only the players are mercenary. The kids are cast aside when the university decides they want their spot for someone else on a regular basis.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom