Poll collegiate degree - pole (1 Viewer)

overblown, duh

• yes

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • no

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • tacoes

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
i voted tacoes, while i have a degree in PR and it helps in my current executive level job (VP of Business Development and Client relations) i think it really depends. we have guys who started with our construction company after high school and worked their way up to some pretty high levels and are better than college guys in the same position. it comes down to the specifics needed for your job and the individual themselves, meaning how their maturity level is and how they handle themselves. But truly experience trumps education a lot of the time

I had started out as wanting to study to be a x-ray tech. Went to a Jr. college to get my basics. Transferred to William Carey to start studies for the field.
They gave me lame studies and when I asked them when do I start studies for x-ray they told me I had to take those during the summer. Told them I had to work during the summer to go to school.
Went back to Jr. collage and changed major to business and marketing, Preferred marketing but was told I needed experience to get a job in it. OK..
Went to work in retail which meant low pay and long hours. Luckily I knew a supervisor at Stennis who got me a job in logistics. Worked my way up to senior position and now am living comfortable.

So I guess you can take collage for what it is worth.
But I did have a lot of fun in college. Really helped me get over my shyness.

I have a degree in something so removed from my current career that for some it boggles the mind. I was discouraged from studying what I really wanted, yet I was able to make a living in that career field for a long time. However, I think I missed out on some very important things that college would have taught me for that career, which is not the career path I took. So:

1. I was discouraged from doing what I wanted to do and had a real aptitude for.
2. I got a degree.
3. I am not using the degree in the career which has served me well for a lot of years. I have very little, by comparison, formal schooling for what I do today.
4. If I won the lottery I would go back to school to get the degree (and the experience) I wanted to get originally.

Confusing?

I think it's overblown for the most part. Sometimes, it depends on the degree, but even some of the more practical ones require further schooling before that degree really means anything. After I graduated, experience was deemed more important than that piece of paper.

for example, i have a general studies bachelor's of general studies.

i would not have my current job without a '4 year degree' and it makes zero sense. not a single thing i have learned in college, especially classes towards my degree, have any bearing on my field of work.

I have a ’Bachelor of Arts’ degree that i barely earned, i mostly sweettalked a counselor/advisor and she substituted a lot of electives i took for other classes that i had no business getting credit for.. and even then, i barely graduated.

i, too, have mostly had jobs that i never would have been able to get without that piece of paper.. it’s kind of hilarious to me, because when you think about even *choosing* a college, you’re talking about decisions made when you’re a 16 or 17 yr old kid.. choosing a major, maybe you’re 18 or 19.. I’m sorry, but kids from 16-19 yrs old, hell even at 21 or 22- have no business making decisions that affect the rest of their lives, it’s a joke.. yet when you see that piece of paper, it reflect the decisions (usually) of a child, and a lot of times what the family they happened to be born into could afford.

The only ‘pro’ i will say in re to earning the degree is that maybe it shows that you have a little bit of ‘hustle’.. at least in my case, it does.. but I‘ve known lots of people who’ve never been to college who have way more hustle than me, yet that lack of a degree holds them back.

Tacos are tasty, not sure if they help you study better though, compared to other meals. Taco Tuesday is a catchy phrase for having tacos on Tuesday. Notice how there is a "t" in both tacos and Tuesday, so clever. The people who market food sales probably have a bachelor's degree.

I have two bachelors. I graduated with the first one during the 2008-2009 economic downfall with a Bachelor degree in business administration.

When i couldn’t find a job paying more than $15 an hour, i went back to school and worked full time. All while working for $10 an hour and no benefits for a very small company. I also waited tables and worked at fed ex loading packages.

A year and a half later i had two bachelors with one being in accountancy. Some of it paid by the 9-11 GI bill but not all.

I guess my point is that yes that for the most part it is a piece of paper. However, there are a lot of times a bunch of sweat and tears are behind that paper and should be evaluated as important depending on the circumstances.

What you study is very important if you don’t have connections. Especially if you live in South Louisiana where nepotism is rampant.

I have a ’Bachelor of Arts’ degree that i barely earned, i mostly sweettalked a counselor/advisor and she substituted a lot of electives i took for other classes that i had no business getting credit for.. and even then, i barely graduated.

Just sweetalked?

If you know what you want to do find out what others did to get there

I work in the field I graduated in ,BS in Information Systems though none of what I do was discussed in college , I work for an MSP - I work IT in corporations out of college but most didn’t have degrees Certs were a big thing there along with experience

I also attended a tech school few years out of college , one of those you see on tv , I use those skills more so

Premise is off - if university was just for job training it would be called ‘the place you go to learn to be a CPA’ or some such
As the word implies, you go to university to broaden your horizons
It’s incredibly unfortunate that the ‘business model ‘ has seeped into university administration- and now, unsurprisingly, many universities are as ‘successful’ at broadly educating as businesses are at being successful

Premise is off - if university was just for job training it would be called ‘the place you go to learn to be a CPA’ or some such
As the word implies, you go to university to broaden your horizons
It’s incredibly unfortunate that the ‘business model ‘ has seeped into university administration- and now, unsurprisingly, many universities are as ‘successful’ at broadly educating as businesses are at being successful

I kind of agree - but the financial reality many students in the US are facing, if they don't at least have a passion for some scholarly pursuits by the time graduate high school, is it worth it for them to go to a four-year univerisity and pile up 100k-200k in debt.

There is always opportunities for learning later in life. I think we need to get away from the premise that everyone is ready for a university when they turn 18.

How did that rhyme popular in the Navy go...

From 18 to 80
Blind, crippled or crazy ...

You’re probably right, I’m guessing ****Hub probably has a category for that.. a buddy of mine is actually dating a woman who is, in fact a grandmother.. and i think he actually kinda likes that.. just not really my thing though, lol

I kind of agree - but the financial reality many students in the US are facing, if they don't at least have a passion for some scholarly pursuits by the time graduate high school, is it worth it for them to go to a four-year univerisity and pile up 100k-200k in debt.

There is always opportunities for learning later in life. I think we need to get away from the premise that everyone is ready for a university when they turn 18.
i can agree with that
of course the flip side is, you don't go to university but you're not particularly adept at (or even knowledgeable of) 'decent' opportunities out there and you might just bounce from entry level to entry level

and yet the flip side of that flip side is my friend who had no idea what he wanted to do - got an evening shift at kinkos to make ends meet and now travels the world installing and training workforce for high end copiers

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom