Colston = Abramowicz (1 Viewer)

Danny was small... but he made up for it by being slow....lol....

He just epitomized the early years Saints..... Firey.. take no Cr@p.... fight till the end... just not very good.... Loved him and Billy Kilmer...

Bahahahaha! That first line is FUNNY (in a TB voice).

There's such a fondness (so to speak) about Danny that all the older Saints fans appreciated. Obviously not the most talented guy, but he was a good presence on the field.

There's no real comparison, but I see where the original poster was going with it. Late round nobody's that were great pickups. The athleticism of modern day athletes is so much better than back in the day. That's why I can't compare older players to these new youngins.

Let's just let Colston be Colston. He's not Danny, Martin, Harper (LOL!). He's Colston.

Trying to compare 2 players from such different eras is almost impossible. Of course Colston is better than Danny A. So is Horn. So are most (if not all) of today's WRs. It was a different time when players had a different skill set than they do today. The offenses were different as well.

Where these two guys are alike is that neither one was thought to have much of a chance to make it in the NFL, but both had the desire and the work ethic to do so. And then once in the NFL, both put that early prejudice about their abilities to the lie and performed at level higher than most of their peers.

No, even the 1969 version of Danny A. would not likely make the practice squad of ANY NFL team today, but he was indeed a joy to watch back then.

JMO.

Last edited:
Trying to compare 2 players from such different eras is almost impossible. Of course Colston is better than Danny A. So is Horn. So are most (if not all) of today's WRs. It was a different time when players had a different skill set than they do today. The offenses were different as well.

Where these two guys are alike is that neither one was thought to have much of a chance to make it in the NFL, but both had the desire and the work ethic to do so. And then once in the NFL, both put that early prejudice about their abilities to the lie and performed at level higher than most of their peers.

No, even the 1969 Danny A. probably could not make the practice squad of ANY NFL team today, but he was indeed a joy to watch back then.

JMO.

You have such wisdom, kooldak... Thanks for the help.

Danny was an earlier version of Wayne Chrebet. Closest I can come.

I'll never take anything away from what Danny accomplished with a very bad Saints offense... But trying to compare it to what Colston's doing in a very good Saints system (where there are more weapons than just Colston) is still a bit of a reach.

Wasn't comparing anything except that each was taken in the last round of that years draft. With Danny being pushed all the way to the 17th round. I was just saying that Colston (even though he was taken third to last) is considered a much better find (today), then Danny was (then).

If I remember correctly, Danny was cut from the Saints but he refused to leave and that determination is what led to him being given a chance and the rest is history.

...If I remember correctly, Danny was cut from the Saints but he refused to leave and that determination is what led to him being given a chance and the rest is history.

That is correct. See pages 17 & 18 of Jeff Duncan's excellent book, "Tales From the Saints Sidelines".

Jeff Duncan in "Tales From the Saints Sidelines" said:
...Tom Fears wasn't concerned about cutting Abramowicz.

The Headstrong Abramowicz had other plans.

"I hurried downstairs and walked into Coach Fear's office," Abramowicz said. "Before he could say anything, I said, Coach, you're not cutting me. I didn't get a fair chance and I'm not leaving."

Stunned by Abramowicz's courage and brashness, Fears relented and gave him another week to make something happen.

The rest of the team had heard what happened and Kilmer made sure that Abramowicz got his chance. The next week they played S.F. in a preseason game and Kilmer threw him the ball 5 times. Danny caught all 5. The whole story (and its a good one) is told in the above mentioned book.

Last edited:
Don't forget that although Colston has to deal with Turf,
Abramowicz often had to take on Hedge.

I just bough a 1968 New Orleans Saints Year Book on Ebay and on the first page is said: He was chosen in the last round of the 1967 pro draft. Too slow to make it, they said. So all he did was catch 50 passes in his rookie season and become one of the league's ranking receiver's. Now coach Tom Fears counts him a rare find. His name is Danny Abramowics.

I think Payton can say about the same thing of his RARE FIND!!!!!!

Skynyd, I think I remember that article. Was there a photo of Abramowicz making a fingertip catch with his body extended, parallel to the ground?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom