Colston = Abramowicz (1 Viewer)

Skynyrd

Veteran
Reaction score
I just bough a 1968 New Orleans Saints Year Book on Ebay and on the first page is said: He was chosen in the last round of the 1967 pro draft. Too slow to make it, they said. So all he did was catch 50 passes in his rookie season and become one of the league's ranking receiver's. Now coach Tom Fears counts him a rare find. His name is Danny Abramowics.

I think Payton can say about the same thing of his RARE FIND!!!!!!

I just bough a 1968 New Orleans Saints Year Book on Ebay and on the first page is said: He was chosen in the last round of the 1967 pro draft. Too slow to make it, they said. So all he did was catch 50 passes in his rookie season and become one of the league's ranking receiver's. Now coach Tom Fears counts him a rare find. His name is Danny Abramowics.

I think Payton can say about the same thing of his RARE FIND!!!!!!

No disrespect to Danny. He's a great guy, and was a good receiver... But at this point in Colston's short career, the comparison is not even close. I'm sure Danny would tell you the same.

This kid, in his first year, and at the pace he's going, is on tap for not only Offensive ROY, but the Pro Bowl, as well... And not as an alternate either.

He is a rare find...

Last edited:
Danny was a rare find too. In terms of similar situations that are very comparable. Interms of overall ability, Colston is a true diamond, whereas Danny was more like a lost puppy who found a good home.

Danny was a joy to watch. I was real young but I remember a couple of his games...

This interview by Pete Finney, with Danny was in the TP a few weeks ago:

Excerpt: "You mean after all these years, I still have a record?," said a chuckling voice on the other end of long distance.

"That's right," I told Danny Abramowicz. "You have a record, but not for long."

The 39-year-old team receiving yards record Abramowicz set in 1967 as a rookie on the expansion Saints could fall to another rookie Sunday when the Saints visit Pittsburgh to play the defending Super Bowl champions.

Article Link:

http://www.nola.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1162967762261180.xml?SSPPF&coll=1

I'd say Abramowicz was considered less of a talent than Colston.

Danny Abramowicz

Round 17/ Pick 420

Marques Colston

Round 7 / Pick 252

Please don't let Colston be offensive coordinator. :eek:

Why not? He's already better than Abramowicz. I used to cringe every time they'd show shot of Danny in the press box, looking over play charts like a grandfather trying to figure out how to install a DVD player and get the clock setting to work instead of blinking "12:00" all day.

I'd say Abramowicz was considered less of a talent than Colston.

Danny Abramowicz

Round 17/ Pick 420

Marques Colston

Round 7 / Pick 252

I'll never take anything away from what Danny accomplished with a very bad Saints offense... But trying to compare it to what Colston's doing in a very good Saints system (where there are more weapons than just Colston) is still a bit of a reach.

There is a big difference between the NFL then and now, then it was not the pass happy league it is now and they played a lot of bump and run and the rules were not as in favor of the pass as they are now . Danny A. was very much like Wayne Chrebet of the jets , some of the best hands ever but slower than an ox cart . Danny caught EVERYTHING that came his way and had more HEART than almost any player i've ever seen . While i'm a big Colston fan and think he will be one of the best it's not really fair to compare the two

Danny was a joy to watch. I was real young but I remember a couple of his games...

Danny retired in 1974. He played with the 49ers his last two years.

According to your bio, in 1974, you were -2 years old?

Were you talking about watching Danny on Saints highlight reels?

There is a big difference between the NFL then and now, then it was not the pass happy league it is now and they played a lot of bump and run and the rules were not as in favor of the pass as they are now . Danny A. was very much like Wayne Chrebet of the jets , some of the best hands ever but slower than an ox cart . Danny caught EVERYTHING that came his way and had more HEART than almost any player i've ever seen . While i'm a big Colston fan and think he will be one of the best it's not really fair to compare the two

Much better comparison, and I agree. Danny's best year as a Saint - his third in 1969 - he caught 73 balls for 1015 yards - the old 14 game season.

Colston will surpass those numbers at the rate he's going, in the next two weeks, in his rookie season - Once again, Danny was good during his era - Colston is special...

Danny was small... but he made up for it by being slow....lol....

He just epitomized the early years Saints..... Firey.. take no Cr@p.... fight till the end... just not very good.... Loved him and Billy Kilmer...

Comparing Abramowicz and Colston was inevitable, they were both late round picks who surprised. Beyond that, there is little similarity between the two.

Abramowicz was small and slow, he lacked most all of the physical characteristics of an NFL wide out. If you got a computer to build the perfect wide out, it might look like Colston. How he lasted so long in the draft remains a mystery. I wonder what other teams had Colston on their board at the end and passed on him.

Colston is way better as a rookie than Abramowicz was. Abramowicz had a very long and productive career though, so time will tell who was the better pick. Both players play with great effort and heart. I doubt anyone will argue that Colston has way superior athletic skills to go along with his work ethic.

I might finally add that both of these players have(had) extraordinary hands. With all his other skills, Colston can flat out catch. Abramowicz had a great pair of hands as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom