Colston article from cbssportsline.com (LINK) (1 Viewer)

Sure there's an element of luck involved. Luck is a big part of the draft in general. But Colston solidifies a draft that includes Bush, Harper, Evans, and Ninkovich. We also saw solid play out of Strief last week. So the point that the Saints also drafted Hass -- a player at the same position that Colston has blown up at -- seems so incredibly beside the point. It's not a good point the author makes, it's an insignificant "oh by the way" in order to spin the situation into something else.

The Saints appear to have had a great draft this offseason. That's the story and Colston is a nice part of that.

Sure there's an element of luck involved. Luck is a big part of the draft in general. But Colston solidifies a draft that includes Bush, Harper, Evans, and Ninkovich. We also saw solid play out of Strief last week. So the point that the Saints also drafted Hass -- a player at the same position that Colston has blown up at -- seems so incredibly beside the point. It's not a good point the author makes, it's an insignificant "oh by the way" in order to spin the situation into something else.

The Saints appear to have had a great draft this offseason. That's the story and Colston is a nice part of that.

Though I agree with what you're saying, I may not have been clear about this.

When asked about Colston, Loomis said they had him projected as a 4th rounder, but they didn't pick him that early because they had other needs. To me, this is what the writer is addressing--if they had other needs, then they wouldn't have drafted Hass, since they are both wide recievers. Clearly, they had the slower, smaller Hass rated more highly than Colston.

That's pretty irrefutable.

That's a nice spin, but it's still spin...I heard the same thing. Bidding wars for undrafted rookies is like me and you getting into a bidding war over an apple at the grocery store. There's not a lot of money at stake, and ultimately the players go where they want to--just like Hass signed on to the practice squad in Chicago, even though the Saints tried to keep him around. The Saints picked Colston because they wanted him, just like they wanted Mike Hass. It doesn't mean they had high hopes for him.

NOT a spin at all, Shawn. Came from Mickey Loomis's mouth, via WWL, last week. I think that's a fairly reliable source. If need be to verify it, email Kenny Wilkerson @ wwl. He was doing the interview.

The writer tries to make a point, but it's pretty weak. We gave him a chance, he's exceeded everyones expectations of him, and we look less stupid than 31 other NFL teams. At the end of the day we have a probowl wide receiver and they don't.

Thank you pOpe!

That's it in a nutshell. The writer simply could have told the story, but instead, he tried to get "cute."

We got him, 31 other teams said no thanks. It's that simple. They can analyze it to death, it won't change a thing...

Last edited:
My only question is why wasn't this written about Tom Brady, who not onl was a 6th-round pick but has 3 Super Bowl rings? It just seems like an article written to take the air out of the Saints' sails. There have been many late round picks who became stars. Jerry Rice, anyone? I just wonder why this article wasn't published long ago about a guy like Rice or Brady.

I don't think it's stupidity. I'm ecstatic that we got him. But on paper, you have to think he looks more like Boo Williams than a bonafide NFL starter. Plenty of big men like him have put up big numbers at small schools, and then were unable to do anything in the NFL.

I didn't mean that you thought the Saints brass were stupid for passing on Colston and picking Haas first, Shawn. That's what the writer tried to imply.

Under the circumstances, back in April, it was the smart thing for Saints brass to do. Evidence - no one else drafted Marques either through 251 picks.

What was brilliant was spending what most consider a throw away pick (your 7th) to keep from having to out bid other teams for marques as a FA.

The writer simply missed the mark. I don't know if it was intentional (seemed to be), or if he just doesn't get it.

I.E. How Marques came to be a Saint is irrelevant, at this point. We got him, and 31 other teams are kicking themselves. That happens almost every year in the draft where a player sneaks up on everyone, except that it's almost never this kind of impact story, and IT NEVER happens to the Saints.

IT DID THIS TIME!!

Geeez, another "this guy doesn't kiss the Saints` butt - he must be a hater"-thread. :(

Honestly, this guy has a point. The Saints were smarter than 31 teams but that doen't mean a lot. Payton said months ago that they liked him but that they didn't love him and that's why he was drafted so low. It wasn't smart scouting or great planing. They Saints probably just took Colston because he was the highest rated player left on their board.

The Saints weren't smart for taking Colston so low. And the Patriots weren't smart for taking Brady so low just like the Broncos weren't smart for letting Terrell Davis fall into the sixth round and taking him there. It just shows that the scouts didn't do a very good job and that the FO was lucky on draft day.

He should have done the article showing how selecting players is still a crap shoot, sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't, then you stumble on a diamond.

But isn't that exactly what he does? I don' think he's taking a shot at the Saints. He's criticizing the people who are giving the Saints too much credit for taking Colston and rightfully so.

I think that Saints did a great job on draft day but not when they picked Colston but in round 2 and 4. There Loomis turned 2 picks into 4 starters and that's something they really were working on, it's something the FO planed and it worked out perfectly. IMHO Loomis doesn't get enough credit for that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom