Colston article from cbssportsline.com (LINK) (1 Viewer)

the author is a severe hater...why would he harp on the fact that "yea the Saints are smart...but they not THAT smart"...to be his article's premise? i mean...dude what benefit does that have?

great article on Colston,...but it leaves me scratching my head wondering why he felt it relevant to make a point about a team who "wasn't as smart as everyone thinks"....

Reggie
Jahri Evans
Roman Harper
Marques Colston
*Mike Hass

* Ok man you got us!! We only hit 4 out of 5 home-runs!!

The way he's played, Marques Colston would have been the best pick from the 2006 NFL Draft had he gone in the first round. Considering he went in the seventh round, he's among the best picks in NFL history.

Awesome quote from the article. Nicely done.

There was obviously a hole in this kid or else somebody else would have taken him and there wouldn't have been talk about signing him as a free agent had he remained undrafted. Now, I'm still looking for the hole because I don't see it. Maybe they were worried about his transition between TE and WR? Or maybe he was dropping a lot of lot of balls. What good does having a prototype do if the prototype can't catch the ball.

the author is a severe hater...why would he harp on the fact that "yea the Saints are smart...but they not THAT smart"...to be his article's premise? i mean...dude what benefit does that have?

great article on Colston,...but it leaves me scratching my head wondering why he felt it relevant to make a point about a team who "wasn't as smart as everyone thinks"....

Reggie
Jahri Evans
Roman Harper
Marques Colston
*Mike Hass

* Ok man you got us!! We only hit 4 out of 5 home-runs!!

Your comments seem silly. Even Mickey Loomis seems to agree with the writer. He said they only picked him so they wouldn't have to bid for his services against other teams. He also said they didn't see anything in him at the combine that particularly stood out about him.

So the writer is correct--this was largely a lucky pick. Otherwise, they'd have taken Colston in the 4th round at the latest, and only waiting that long because no one else seemed interested in him.

I snagged a fantastic interview of Loomis by Sirius' Adam Schein & Solomon Wilcots the other day. Actually, it was a replay from the week before the season started, basically just after the Stallworth trade was announced.

In that interview, Loomis told Schein that "Marques Colston is going to surprise a lot of people in this league. Just wait and see." Schein sort of went along with it, with sort of a "okay, Mickey, whatever" approach.

Loomis' words echo loudly today, so much so that Schein brings it up nearly every time Colston's name is mentioned. Schein is touting Loomis as the leading candidate for NFL Executive of the Year.

Your comments seem silly. Even Mickey Loomis seems to agree with the writer. He said they only picked him so they wouldn't have to bid for his services against other teams. He also said they didn't see anything in him at the combine that particularly stood out about him.

So the writer is correct--this was largely a lucky pick. Otherwise, they'd have taken Colston in the 4th round at the latest, and only waiting that long because no one else seemed interested in him.

i agree...

every time there is an article that says something a little negative about this organization, a bunch of people on here get all bent out of shape...

the point is that the guy is right...we were smart for picking him, but we picked everybody's hero, Mike Hass, first...

There was obviously a hole in this kid or else somebody else would have taken him and there wouldn't have been talk about signing him as a free agent had he remained undrafted. Now, I'm still looking for the hole because I don't see it. Maybe they were worried about his transition between TE and WR? Or maybe he was dropping a lot of lot of balls. What good does having a prototype do if the prototype can't catch the ball.

I have seen people say he had some bad pre-draft practices, dropping passes, running the wrong route, etc. However I have never seen it confirmed...

Makes you wonder, what exactly did a 6'4 230+ lb WR with 4.5 speed do to make him last until the 252nd pick in the draft, other than go to Hofstra?

No, i think the author's premise was to describe how the NFL draft is not an exact science...and surprises occur...i don't think he meant it was a lucky pick...bc he touted his stats in the combine and in college...in a sense taunting other teams who passed him up...so no, it wasn't lucky.

I don't take it as an attack on the Saints organization...I take it as a futile story about how a team (in this case the Saints) shouldn't be glorified for finding one jewel when they picked another piece of coal earlier in the draft...i just don't understand why you would base an article (on any team) on that.

Additionally - he picked the wrong team to make this type of point because we picked up 4 immediate-contributors (ballers who start).

On the contrary to his argument...we had a very "SMART" draft....

I still think its very cool that the Saints have him and he has turned into one of the premier pass catchers in the league ALREADY. Can you imagine this guy next year after having a year under his belt? He and Brees could become the next Peyton/Harrison type tandem. Its going to be fun to watch him, get even better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom