Colston article from cbssportsline.com (LINK) (1 Viewer)

i agree...

every time there is an article that says something a little negative about this organization, a bunch of people on here get all bent out of shape...

the point is that the guy is right...we were smart for picking him, but we picked everybody's hero, Mike Hass, first...

see...i don't think Mike Hass was a bad pick either...the guy is a character guy with great hands...he just didn't make the team.

This article's point is just kind of dumb...don't think he is "attacking" the saints organization...just think the premise of the article is dumb...and he used the wrong team as an example...just seemed like bringing up Mike Hass as an exception in our draft smartness was a bit of a stretch...especially when you look at the other players we got...

the author is a severe hater...why would he harp on the fact that "yea the Saints are smart...but they not THAT smart"...to be his article's premise? i mean...dude what benefit does that have?

great article on Colston,...but it leaves me scratching my head wondering why he felt it relevant to make a point about a team who "wasn't as smart as everyone thinks"....

Reggie
Jahri Evans
Roman Harper
Marques Colston
*Mike Hass

* Ok man you got us!! We only hit 4 out of 5 home-runs!!

Good post, I'm glad young Mr. Colston is garnering attention but this article isn't very good. His premise seems to be that because the Saints took Mike Hass before Colston they aren't smart but lucky. Well luck played a tiny part but mostly it was scouting and the biggest factor was Sean Payton's willingness to put Colston out there. There aren't too many coaches that not only surplant a former talented first round pick with a seventh round rookie but trade away that former first round pick. That took stones.....Payton has put Colston in the position to suceed, credit Colston for grabbing success with both hands (pun intended) and credit Sean Payton for having the equipment to put him out there. Luck?.....my butt......

Your comments seem silly. Even Mickey Loomis seems to agree with the writer. He said they only picked him so they wouldn't have to bid for his services against other teams. He also said they didn't see anything in him at the combine that particularly stood out about him.

So the writer is correct--this was largely a lucky pick. Otherwise, they'd have taken Colston in the 4th round at the latest, and only waiting that long because no one else seemed interested in him.

Actually, it has been quoted that Loomis stated that the Saints were looking at taking him in the late 4th round, however, they felt that they could get him later so they opted to take people like Jahri Evans and Nikovich(sp?). So I think Loomis does deserve credit. The fact is, they couldve taken him 2nd overall and it would be justified at this point, however, they took him with the 252nd pick because they rolled the dice knowing that this guy would probably go undrafted and guess what....they were right!

This type of stuff is what makes dynasties! Like I said, they couldve said, "oh he is great, he will be rookie of the year!" and take him with the 2nd overall pick. SUre everyone wouldve laughed, but in the end they wouldve had last laugh...but in the mean time, they have Reggie Bush, Roman Harper, Jahri Evans, Ninko, and Strief to go along with Colston and all of them either start or contribute for the Saints. I for one think they did an EXCELLENT job with their draft strategies.

My favorite line from the article is this....."They traded away starting receiver Donte' Stallworth because they knew Colston was ready to handle the job. Good call. Colston is better than Stallworth."

Finally someone recoginzes after everyone laughed and still people on this board think we got the short end of the stick....oh ok, yeah lets keep a guy only so he could walk at the end of the season for nothing.

Props to Mickey and staff!

mentally challenged article. So we drafted Hass first.. so what? We got a good one at the end. Who remembers every pick in 10 years? We only remember the good ones. Is everyone picked by the Pats in front of Brady a star? Were they still smart for picking him?

The real point to the Saints being smart is that we actually were willing to PLAY a 7th rd WR and trade a highly touted #1.

Maybe picking Hass before Colston was another smart move on the Saints part. If they figured no-one was going to take Colston anyway and someone might take Hass before their pick in the 7th. They wanted to give Hass a shot and knew they could get both guys if they took Colston with their last pick. It has as much validity as anything that idiot wrote in his article.

see...i don't think Mike Hass was a bad pick either...the guy is a character guy with great hands...he just didn't make the team.

This article's point is just kind of dumb...don't think he is "attacking" the saints organization...just think the premise of the article is dumb...and he used the wrong team as an example...just seemed like bringing up Mike Hass as an exception in our draft smartness was a bit of a stretch...especially when you look at the other players we got...

+1

I can see where he is coming from, but he used a bad example with Hass. Hass was expected to be drafted somewhere between the 3rd & 4th round based on his college career until his poor showing at the combine. To be honest I wish we had kept him instead of Copper or Jones. The thing is we DID draft him when no one else wanted to burn a pick on him. Loomis & co looked for him at the end of the draft because they did see something in him and, as with all late draft gems, he has panned out...MAN! has he panned out!

This is dumb. The NFL draft is just like a fantasy draft, you get the best value by getting your guy at the last possible spot. You'd throw away a #2 when you knew you could get the player much cheaper? Don't get me wrong, the Saints didn't know he was gonna be as beastly as he has been, but this guys logic is.. as some of the guys on this board would say.. "retarted"

Last edited:
Why does he even write this stuuf?

We got him (Colston), and 31 other teams wish they did... End of Story

lol, we're gettin dissed for picking the Biletnikoff winner. Hass can't even defend himself. It's nice to see the media microscope starting to point at the Saints though.

I wonder how many writers careers might have been siderailed by the Saints over the years. Like all the guys who wanted to pull for the underdog and wrote puff articles about the Saints. I can see em getting razzed around the office .... "Muhahaha, he predicted the Saints last week, nooooob."

Or maybe writer lunch table: "Damn I got writers block this week." hecklers: "Ha ha, you could always write an article on the SAINTS!!!" (the whole room breaks into laughter)

Strange thing is while the media is powerful; people all over the world have always pulled for the Saints. Even before Katrina. Maybe it's was the city, maybe it's cause we weren't SUPPOSED to win, maybe it's cause we've always had a smashmouth 'tude. Most people you talk to always liked the Saints.

PS: this post has about as much point as that article. peace.

He originally had problems. Remember, when he came to the Mini-camps, he was dropping some balls and wasn't running precise routes. He was a TE in college, and most of us thought he would be a TE in the Pros.

This article seems to be by someone that loves Colston, but hates the Saints.

Whatever the deal the Saints were SMARTER than 31 other teams. That makes them DAM SMART.

Every team has guys that were drafted and turned out to be a bust. Many teams even have undrafted free agents on their team. Does that make them smart because an undrafted player makes their team? Silly comment and unnecessary. You don't have to put down the Saints to give Colston his props.

Why does he even write this stuuf?

We got him (Colston), and 31 other teams wish they did... End of Story

No kidding, I surf every one of our division rivals' forums, a few AFC teams forums, and a couple of General NFL forums. On every board there is at least one "We should have drafted Colston" post. It's amazing how many guys would trade their first round picks for our seventh round rookie..........

This is yet another pitiful-bunch-of-crybabies thread. It's not a criticism of the Saints. The Mike Hass issue was raised because the Saints have said they had other needs, so they passed on taking Colston higher. But since they picked Hass, it shows part of the reason they picked Colston late was because they just weren't that high on him.

Anybody remember who drafted Sammy Knight? Were the Saints smart for signing him, or stupid for not making him a late round draft pick?

The Saints had a great draft, but sometimes you just get lucky. You still have to give the team credit for grabbing him, but it's simply not a case of them being so much smarter than everyone else.

It's a perfectly good story. It's not critical of the Saints. I don't know why so many of you get bent out of shape about anything and everything that could possibly be construed as being negative. I enjoyed the read.

This is yet another pitiful-bunch-of-crybabies thread. It's not a criticism of the Saints. The Mike Hass issue was raised because the Saints have said they had other needs, so they passed on taking Colston higher. But since they picked Hass, it shows part of the reason they picked Colston late was because they just weren't that high on him.

Anybody remember who drafted Sammy Knight? Were the Saints smart for signing him, or stupid for not making him a late round draft pick?

The Saints had a great draft, but sometimes you just get lucky. You still have to give the team credit for grabbing him, but it's simply not a case of them being so much smarter than everyone else.

It's a perfectly good story. It's not critical of the Saints. I don't know why so many of you get bent out of shape about anything and everything that could possibly be construed as being negative. I enjoyed the read.

Interpretation?
Marques is the steal of the draft. We were stupid for picking Haas before him, and the other 31 teams were double stupid for not picking him at all.

Bottomline: We got him, and 31 other teams wish they did - End of story...

He originally had problems. Remember, when he came to the Mini-camps, he was dropping some balls and wasn't running precise routes. He was a TE in college, and most of us thought he would be a TE in the Pros.

That's part of the problem. He was a tight end. You look at him, and he's just too big to play reciever. I don't think he's that fast either, and I suspect his 40 time was pretty mediocre. But here's the rub about scouting: how fast was Sam Mills 40? I bet pretty horrible. I'd bet his 25 yard dash was great.

And why don't players run their 40 in pads?

I suspect that with Colston, you have a guy who runs his 40 in pads exactly as fast as he runs it in shorts. And like Jerry Rice--who wasn't the fastest player on any field--his game speed is pretty amazing. Both guys seem to run faster with someone chasing them than they ever did on a track. And neither seems affected by carrying a ball. There's a whole host of reasons why Colston projected as a project, and that's all 7th round picks are ever meant to be--long term projects, players who have a history of injuries, or players who don't fit neatly into any one position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom