Colston - AWESOME game! (1 Viewer)

hahahah.....I love this thread.

and if you base it on statistics thru 9 games......Colston isn't doing too shabby. I don't want to jinx Colston though.....

lets put it this way.....he can be the Saints Jerry Rice type player.......how's that?

TDS
Rice - 197
Colston - 7

Rec
Rice - 1549
Colston - 53

Rec Yards
Rice - 22895
Colston - 869
Not even close.

and what were Jerry Rice's stats 9 games into his rookie year? I can't find a game by game breakdown so I'll post Rice's stats from his rookie year.

49 Rec. 927 yards. 3 tds. 66 long.

Colston through 9 games has 54 catches, 869 yards, 86 long.

I'm don't like to annoint players as 'the next' so and so but he's certainly been impressive and perhaps if he can keep it up over a prolonged period of time, arm chair GMS and analysts, in addition to the professional ones, will be comparing a young talented up and comer to him.

jmo

Ok....here's one.....Incredible SEPARATION from defenders, just like Jerry Rice....Incredible hands and can't seem to drop ANYTHING!....JUST LIKE JERRY RICE......longer strides when running, but the same deceptive speed when running in the open....just like Jerry Rice!

OK.....now it's your turn!.......make me an argument why HIS GAME DOESN'T REMINDS YOU OF J Rice!!

I'm all ears!

He can't do it, because all he's done so far is post some inane and irrelevant career stats for Rice.

I would certainly say it's too early to make that kind of assertion. But there's plenty to compare between the two. For that reason alone, you can't make the assertion that he's "not" the next Jerry Rice. It certainly appears that he's tied to a quarterback that could feed him the ball for years to come.

The scary part about Colston is that since the Ravens game, he's started playing at an unbelievably high level. He's starting to dominate guys. Randy Moss is the only reciever I've seen play this well as a rookie, and frankly, even he was streaky in his first year.

The bottom line is that Colston is a different player than Rice or Moss. He reminds me of Muhammed in a way, but he's even bigger and more physical.

he is on pace 96 catches, 1537 yards, and 12 Tds.
To catch Rice he would need
16 years in Recs
16 years in TDs
15 years in Rec Yards.

actually, the NFL is a much different place than it was when Rice was piling up his statistics. The rules have changed to benefit the offense....especially when dealing with contact.

So....Colston (and many other players) will probably get stats that may be a bit blown up as a result. I realize that this actually makes what Rice did even more special......but since you want to base it on stats.......that's all I have to offer. Rice also played with some pretty good wideouts in his time with the niners.....and also played in a true west coast offense (like Colston)

Thier careers may be very similar......hopefully for us.....because that might mean some Superbowls.....(hey, a guy can dream...no?)

I thought he faded a bit late in the game. Seemed like one pass on the last drive went right through his hands.

He also looked completely exhausted and beat up. Looked like he was in the 12th round of a boxing match.

Thats crazy! He probably was tired! He was getting double and tripple teamed at the end. As far as the ball that went right through his hands was tippes and was trveling end over end and he still almost caught it. Some people want to find fault with anything. He leads the NFL in yds and has 7 td's. 7th round pick here remember!!! He's only goning to get better.

To say that Colston is the next Jerry Rice based on 9 games is ludacris.

he reminds me of the next Colston....
simply awesome rookie, simply a great receiver in the black and gold.
Think he's solidly answered the question, if he could be the number 1 reciever.

Thats crazy! He probably was tired! He was getting double and tripple teamed at the end. As far as the ball that went right through his hands was tippes and was trveling end over end and he still almost caught it. Some people want to find fault with anything. He leads the NFL in yds and has 7 td's. 7th round pick here remember!!! He's only goning to get better.

I'm not criticizing him at all. I just noticed that a few minutes before that, he seemed woozy getting up after a catch, and he was holding both arms like he'd just rolled off the back of a moving truck. He looked beat down. The Steelers seemed to try several different things to stop him--they were bracketing him early and it didn't work at all. Then they started single covering him and trying to blitz Brees, and they got burned on that. Then it seems like they did something else, but I couldn't tell you what it was...the kid got plenty of attention today and he played fantasticly.

To say that Colston is the next Jerry Rice based on 9 games is ludacris.

Are you going to keep posting the same thing over and over and over? You've been beat down already, so hang it up.

I think it is time to start wondering this...

Is Colston currently the best in the league?

I wouldn't want to say that yet, but if we're talking about right now, I can't think of a guy I'd take before him...

I wouldn't want to say that yet, but if we're talking about right now, I can't think of a guy I'd take before him...

I'm still not read to say that about him, not even close.

But...I am ready to say that, believe it or not, he really is legitimately one of the top 7 recievers in the league. And maybe better. The great stats over the first 8 games are nice, but I thought maybe they were a bit deceiving. But you can just sense that he's starting to make defenses mess in their pants. He puts defenders on their butt, he snatches balls away from defenders, he runs great patterns. He's a legitimate Pro-Bowl reciever, which is really unbelievable.

hmmm.....maybe Marvin Harrison......MAYBE....that's about it though.....none of the so called other "elite" recievers out there have the skills Colston has. He is a prototype for what recievers need to be.

Fast
Tall
Strong
Hands of glue
Clutch....

any more?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom