Colston best Wr in the league right now? (1 Viewer)

Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt; these are the names we want to hear Colston's name mentioned with. He's not there yet. He has plenty of growing to do before being a finished product like those guys are.

Yea, it is too early to say the best but he he continues to improve he might be mentioned in the same breath as these guys in a couple of years.

i said on another thread, he reminds me of TO when he was young in SF

Ok then, does the fact that in October, 16 of his 18 catches went for a TD or first down make him a top WR? Or the fact that he's #3 in the league in receiving yards? What baout the fact that he leads the league in TD receptions? All that sounds like Top WR to me.

I think the discussion here is not whether he's "a" top reciever, but whether he's "the" top reciever. It's just my opinion, but I think Colston is a lot like the Saints offensive line--on paper and film, you think they just aren't that good. Teams seem to have completely ignored Colston every week. Top recievers are guys who change the gameplan of the defense. With a player like T.O., Randy Moss circa 2002, Marvin Harrison, etc...you always have to know where they are on the field. Colston hasn't gotten that kind of attention. It will be interesting to see how he responds to it, when and if he gets it.

And it's very possible he may not get it all season, though he should. Giving him extra attention suddenly makes defending the Saints offense a nightmare.

...and LSSpam, I agree totally with you that blitzing Brees a lot seems to be a terrible idea. You might get him occasionally, but mostly he's going to murder you.

Ok then, does the fact that in October, 16 of his 18 catches went for a TD or first down make him a top WR? Or the fact that he's #3 in the league in receiving yards? What baout the fact that he leads the league in TD receptions? All that sounds like Top WR to me.

THE top WR?

Look, I like Colston, but let's not get carried away. He's playing lights out and if he can keep this up over years he can be considered a top receiver. I'm glad we have him.

And it's very possible he may not get it all season, though he should. Giving him extra attention suddenly makes defending the Saints offense a nightmare.

...and LSSpam, I agree totally with you that blitzing Brees a lot seems to be a terrible idea. You might get him occasionally, but mostly he's going to murder you.

Well in closer relation to your point, by blitzing you force the safeties down leaving the WR's one-on-one an awful lot. This is very much not the typical "Tampa 2" which is centered conceptually around the Cover-2. So this was a really new thing for Tampa. I guess they were trying to confuse Brees like the Ravens did at times.

But (sorry off point again) I think that's why Colston was matched up one-on-one so much this game. Normally Tampa wouldn't have even been playing man coverages to speak of. It was their decision to blitz, not anything specific to Colston.

Well in closer relation to your point, by blitzing you force the safeties down leaving the WR's one-on-one an awful lot. This is very much not the typical "Tampa 2" which is centered conceptually around the Cover-2. So this was a really new thing for Tampa. I guess they were trying to confuse Brees like the Ravens did at times.

But (sorry off point again) I think that's why Colston was matched up one-on-one so much this game. Normally Tampa wouldn't have even been playing man coverages to speak of. It was their decision to blitz, not anything specific to Colston.

It has been pointed out the last couple of weeks that the way some teams were attacking the Saints offense (especially those edge passes to Bush), that it left defenses very vulnerable deep down the middle of the field--or it left the recievers on an island with the DB's. Somebody last week suggested that the reason we didn't attack teams with longer passes was because Brees didn't have the arm for it, which seemed to be a fair point. I think this week we put teams on notice that that approach isn't going to work any longer.

Another thing--and I hate to even mention this, I really do--Deverey Henderson's speed outside was a big factor. I think...I know it's almost blasphemous to say this...Joe Horn might do better playing more in the slot, so Deverey can get more time as a wide out. That combination worked really well.

"The Best ______"

Sorry to rain on the parade, but these "best" threads make me scratch my head. Here's what we know today.
Colston Stats as a Receiver:
Tied for First in TD's
4th in Total Yards
5th in Yards Per Game
Tied for 10th in Number of Receptions
19th in Yards Per Catch
SOURCE: http://tinyurl.com/y4p53a
[and these figures say nothing about his blocking, picking ...]

He's doing a GREAT job ... SUPER-GREAT considering he's a rookie. Isn't that sufficiently wonderful?

I wouldn't compare him to a young TO. Colston has better hands and attitude than TO could ever wish.

Another thing--and I hate to even mention this, I really do--Deverey Henderson's speed outside was a big factor. I think...I know it's almost blasphemous to say this...Joe Horn might do better playing more in the slot, so Deverey can get more time as a wide out. That combination worked really well.

I think that's the long-term plan. Devery I believe had far more to do with Stallworth being traded away then Colston. I felt only one of the two would make it. Devery essentially takes Stallworths roll with Colston fufilling Joe Horns role (and Joe slipping into a 3rd WR/Elder Statesman/Slot role)

Long-term at least

Right now I think Joe's valuable though to keep some of the pressure off Colston. Starting both Henderson and Colston, even though it worked really well vs Tampa, is an awful lot on two first time starters.

As for the blitzing, I think the "book" on the Saints is definantly to put a lot of people near the line of scrimmage to
1) Stop the run
2) clog the short passing lanes
3) defend the wide field (vs Bush specifically)

Probably in that order. The difference between the Ravens and the Bucs is that while the Bucs kept sending guys across the Line of Scrimmage, they never got enough pressure to make a difference and Brees abused them. The Ravens, by contrast, dropped everyone short and didn't rush as many.

Both the Ravens and the Bucs were vulnerable deep. The difference is the Ravens managed to confuse Brees on some of his underneath routes (and they got interceptions for it). And when the Ravens DID bring pressure, it was selective and unexpected.

I suspect the Steelers, who do a lot of Zone-Blitz'ing anyways, will have a similiar game plan as the Ravens.

I think that's the long-term plan. Devery I believe had far more to do with Stallworth being traded away then Colston. I felt only one of the two would make it. Devery essentially takes Stallworths roll with Colston fufilling Joe Horns role (and Joe slipping into a 3rd WR/Elder Statesman/Slot role)

Long-term at least

Right now I think Joe's valuable though to keep some of the pressure off Colston. Starting both Henderson and Colston, even though it worked really well vs Tampa, is an awful lot on two first time starters.

As for the blitzing, I think the "book" on the Saints is definantly to put a lot of people near the line of scrimmage to
1) Stop the run
2) clog the short passing lanes
3) defend the wide field (vs Bush specifically)

Probably in that order. The difference between the Ravens and the Bucs is that while the Bucs kept sending guys across the Line of Scrimmage, they never got enough pressure to make a difference and Brees abused them. The Ravens, by contrast, dropped everyone short and didn't rush as many.

Both the Ravens and the Bucs were vulnerable deep. The difference is the Ravens managed to confuse Brees on some of his underneath routes (and they got interceptions for it). And when the Ravens DID bring pressure, it was selective and unexpected.

I suspect the Steelers, who do a lot of Zone-Blitz'ing anyways, will have a similiar game plan as the Ravens.

I agree with everything--with the addition that the Ravens line was bigger and more physical, and seemed to create more problems for our offensive line.

But to the original point of the thread--a light seems to have gone off with Colston in the last two weeks, and he's suddenly turned into a monster out there.

Others have already said it. He is a great rookie WR. I can't yet compare him to Marv or Reggie Wayne, Bolden or Fitzgerald, Smith or Holt. It is also just 8 games into the season, a bit early to be talking pro bowl. But he is one good lookin' WR. Brees new Gates.

They may eventually start to double team him more, but that will just open up some of our other O weapons.

I like Colston. A lot. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of career he has in the long run.

I think he is the best in the League over the last two weeks. Some supernatural catches the past 2 games....

i said on another thread, he reminds me of TO when he was young in SF

When TO was young in SF, he could not hold on to the ball. Colston is better than TO was in his rookie year. On second thought, I have never seen a rookie WR do as well as Colston!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom