Colston Contract? (1 Viewer)

mikaelaustin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
What does everyone think he should get from the front office? i think it should be around a six year $56 million with around $23 million or so guaranteed. Big momey but not stupid big.

I had heard from a my bro in law, that Colston turned down an offer from the Saints, cause he wanted to test the market. It made my brother and I panic, but we havent seen anything posted on this board about it, or cant find anything that would suggest that was true. I pretty much look to this board to get all my news, cause most of you guys are machines and rarely miss anything. I would think that if there was nay validity to this statement, that one of you guys would be able to snff out something.

I think though that he is going to have a very incentive base contract, but looking somewhere around the 6 year, 50 mil range, but wouldnt be suprised f it was slightly more.

I'd offer him a contract similar to Reggie Wayne's contract and go from there. He's definitely proven he's worth that much. As far as wanting to hit the open market, he's gotta know that, that isn't going to happen. They'd franchise him in a second.

I had heard from a my bro in law, that Colston turned down an offer from the Saints, cause he wanted to test the market. It made my brother and I panic, but we havent seen anything posted on this board about it, or cant find anything that would suggest that was true. I pretty much look to this board to get all my news, cause most of you guys are machines and rarely miss anything. I would think that if there was nay validity to this statement, that one of you guys would be able to snff out something.

I think though that he is going to have a very incentive base contract, but looking somewhere around the 6 year, 50 mil range, but wouldnt be suprised f it was slightly more.

Colston is currently under contract, so there is no "market' for him to test until next year. Then he will be an RFA although the highest compensation we could get would be a 1st and 34d.

"Hitting the market" would be stupidity at this point. Colston has one year under contract, then he will be a RFA with the highest tender then we could franchise him. He would have to turn down a lot of money before he hit the big contract in 2011.

man i hope he wants to stay a saint. by far the best player in an otherwise dismal season. i'd dump reggie to free up space to keep him.

You kidding? Colston is such a humble guy. He wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the league. He loves the Saints orginization.

I know that he is under contract this year, and he doesnt seem to be like the type of guy who would be self absorbed and want to run off and be the highest payed player. Thats why i said it was just a rumor i heard, but not seeing any posts on here, put my mind at ease. At first though, made me a little nervous.

Well, we could just give him a high tender and hope someone signs him to an offer sheet, then we could match. We could also just franchise him after his RFA year and continue to do so until he saw the light, but I don't think any of that would be necessary. If he has any brains he would sign a deal soon because in two years who is to say that he won't tear an ACL or an achilles and not come back the same....then what is he going to get???

Reggie Wayne got 6 years, 40 million with 14 million gauranteed
Bernard Berrian got 6 years, 42 million with 16 million gauranteed
Javon Walker got 6 years, 55 million with 16 million gauranteed
Randy Moss got 3 years, 27 million with 15 million gauranteed
Larry Fitzgerald got 4 years, 40 million with 30 million gauranteed

The Javon Walker deal is pumped up because he signed with the Raiders. He is a much better player than Berrian. He is younger than Moss and I would rate Fitzgerald with the SLIGHT edge over Colston. If he were to hit the free agent market, he would command MAJOR money though. Looking at the recent deals signed look for him to sign something in the 8.5 million a year range (6 year, 52 million) with appx 20 million of that coming in gauranteed money. I could see him giving the Saints a "home town" discount, however how much of a discount are you going to get for a 24 year old, prime time, playmaking WR that has put up more catches in his 1st two seasons than any other WR before him.

He will get paid, if not from us, then someone else. I do believe though it will be us.

turley , lecharles bentley.... we doesnt seem to have the organization the players want to stay , we should live with that. no one ever would prefer signing with us over the cowboys or pats or whatever. just remember roderick hood last offseason . we offerdem him a better contract but he chose the cardinals.

Let him hit the market... that means we'll have more cap room this season if we decide to trade for any vets during the draft.

And when he hits the market the Saints have the right to match any offer after Colston is tendered... works out well for the Saints.

I understand what Colston is doing... he and his agent are trying to get the most for his skills... I have no problem with him doing that.

I hope it's not true. This guy deserves top dollar $$. Not to mention I just bought a authentic Colston jersey (too much $$ to invest, but worth it)...I just don't see the Saints letting this guy test the market.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom