Colston Fantasy Article (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That was a pretty cool article about Colston's fantasy production and consistency posted on the main page (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...30EBF09A2CAD42D8862572210013490A?OpenDocument)

But did you notice this part-

The real test will come when Colston starts to consistently see double coverage, which will happen now that he's established himself as one the NFL's top young playmakers.

I understand that the prevailing logic in scouting is that an unknown player might light it up for a while and then teams begin to account for him, double cover him, and then production falls off.

BUT, in this case- How can a defense double cover Marques Colston when perennial pro-bowler Joe Horn is on the other side, along with an emerging Devery Henderson and Reggie Bush, who might not have the numbers yet- but if he catches a ball in space, he's gone- all lining up as part of the Saints' passing game? I don't see where the help on Colston can come from. Am I wrong here?

I love this offense!

Colston was our #1 receiver this past week and look how well he did.

Colston will see more double coverage. Harrison, TO & Holt get doubled, despite other talent on O. Some CBs don't match up well with marquee WRs, so it would be wise to roll help that way. Horn has reached his golden years, and Devery is erratic. He's the one to benefit from the attention on the others.

When Bush comes in to do his dirt along with Deuce, Ds should send in another S. Deuce will truck most CBs, and Bush will burn most LBs.Maybe an additional S can deal with Deuce getting the carry, while covering Bush better than LBs.

Actually, I think Bush should be sent on deeper patterns. Faulk used to, and Bush can clear a lotta space for Deuce to exploit. Bush often catches those 3 yard outs, and Ds quickly converge. He usually has no blocking. I think that's why it seems the D is so focused on Bush.

Last edited:
... I think Bush should be sent on deeper patterns. Faulk used to, and Bush can clear a lotta space for Deuce to exploit. Bush often catches those 3 yard outs, and Ds quickly converge. He usually has no blocking. I think that's why it seems the D is so focused on Bush.

I agree... When Bush catches those 3 yd outs or a swing pass in the flat, sure he's got the ball in space, but he's got like 3/4 of the defense left to beat... If the staff would just start sending him on some deeper routes, and get the ball in his hands where he would have like 1 CB and maybe a safety to beat, then I think we see some big plays. At the very least, if you send him deep, it's going to clear out the underneath stuff for the other guys.

What about in a three receiver set with Bush as an additional receiver- how can Colston be doubled?

What about in a three receiver set with Bush as an additional receiver- how can Colston be doubled?
Do you mean 3 WRs + Bush? If so, we lose a TE blocking. I think that would leave Brees exposed, and he may not be upright long enough to see anything. That's why we don't see many empty backfields, or 4 WR sets. Teams may be desperate to score, but I've seen sacks from just a 3 man rush like that.

Anyway, Ds can still send in some scrub S or CB to account for Bush in that situation. Colston could still be doubled, being trailed by a CB as he enters the zone of a S lurking about.

Last edited:
Colston was our #1 receiver this past week and look how well he did.

Yeah but the Bucs didn't focus on him much. Instead they used that extra defender or two (from Horn being out) to help stop the run.

In fact, the play that stood out to me the most was a 3rd and 9 play. Remember that... 3rd and 9. The Saints ran a playaction to Deuce, on 3rd and 9. The left defensive end along with at least two LBs then ran to Deuce. The playaction was to the left while Brees had a rollout to the right side. He then completed a pass for 9 yards and a first down. Playaction on third and 9 and that many guys still focused on the run.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom