Colston has twenty 3rd down receptions for 1st downs (1 Viewer)

longtime lurker

Buddy D lives FOREVER!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if previously posted.

Marques Colston has a league-best 20 third-down receptions that he's turned into first downs. Colston, a seventh-round pick out of Hofstra, is first in the league in receiving yards (869) and fourth in receptions (54). "Most routes are based on route depth, and most [third-down] conversions are caught underneath the coverage and turned up and advanced for the first down," Saints coach Sean Payton said. "The important factors are understanding the coverages and having the toughness to make the extra yards that you need to get the first downs. Marques has worked very hard and has strived to pick up the nuances of the offensive system. He has been a quick study and is a player who enjoys learning and wants more and more knowledge."

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/16034552.htm

For all the meaningless stats the NFL puts out and we as fans churn over, I like this one.

League-leading clutch production from a 7th round compensatory pick. Good stuff.

Sick. The SAINTS are looking pretty good on offense for the next half decade or so. Brees, Bush, and Colston are all students of the game, and should continue to get better and better. I still can't believe that this is the same team!

For all the meaningless stats the NFL puts out and we as fans churn over, I like this one.

League-leading clutch production from a 7th round compensatory pick. Good stuff.

Which is technically a late 8th round pick. Very good stuff indeed.

Sick. The SAINTS are looking pretty good on offense for the next half decade or so. Brees, Bush, and Colston are all students of the game, and should continue to get better and better. I still can't believe that this is the same team!

make no mistake here. It is most definitely NOT the "same team". Archie was before my time, and I remember a little Hebert, but I never remember having a QB I could trust this much to keep a game together and will out a win.

Not to mention the youth, talent, skill and depth on the OL, without which none of those skill position guys is anything but road kill.

i have been calling him Marques "first down" Colston since the Atl game

...Earlier in the season Drew was looking at bush a lot more...

Game 1 at Clev: Bush and Colston 8 targets each
Game 2 at GB: Bush 9 targets, Colston 10 targets
Game 3 vs Atl: Bush 5 targets, Colston 10 targets
Game 4 at Car: Bush and Colston, 6 targets each

Game 1 at Clev: Bush and Colston 8 targets each
Game 2 at GB: Bush 9 targets, Colston 10 targets
Game 3 vs Atl: Bush 5 targets, Colston 10 targets
Game 4 at Car: Bush and Colston, 6 targets each

I am saying he seems to not look at bush as much anymore. Look at previous couple of games Colston has been thrown too alot more now. Or maybe I should say it seems like instead of dumping off to bush in a tight situation it seems like he has more faith in Colston now and will throw the ball to Colston and let him make a play.

Last edited:
... Or maybe I should say it seems like instead of dumping off to bush in a tight situation it seems like he has more faith in Colston now and will throw the ball to Colston and let him make a play.

Ahhh, got ya. Agreed.

My only question is, will Colston still see as many balls with Horn back ? Colston's targets were pretty steady through the first 6 games (between 6 and 10 targets in each). Then in the Baltimore game when we were behind badly, he saw 14 balls, and in the past 2 with Horn hurt, he has seen 14 (TB) and 13 (Pitt).

I think he will just because it seems like nothing can slow colston down right now.

Seems to me that Drew looks for his primary target, and if covered, zips it or dumps it to the open guy. Colston gets open with ease, it seems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom