Colt McCoy dealt to the 49ers? (1 Viewer)

I'm really excited to get Luke McCown back, I thought he out played Chase Daniel last year and another year in this system and he might be something special

Excited? He was nothing special (and has done nothing in his career to indicate any upside). He is basically a clipboard holder for the present. I am sure we will be looking at UDFAs and scouring the waiver wires during training camp in search of an upgrade if possible.

There are few positions I care less about then backup QB. Maybe LS?

We aren't winning a SB if Brees goes down regardless.

Have no fear....he'll probably be on the market next year. I think hes still on his rookie deal right?

So..we just gotta wait to get him. Im slightly bummed but hey..........as long as i don't see

Nnamdi signs with the 49ers im good.

There are few positions I care less about then backup QB. Maybe LS?

We aren't winning a SB if Brees goes down regardless.

this is one of the most ridiculous arguments that people spout all the time with regards to the backup quarterback. The reason we need a backup qb, made especially prevalent in today's nfl, is let's say brees gets hit helmet to helmet and suffers a concussion and is out for the remainder of the game and the next week against a mediocre team (knock on wood that this doesnt happen). You need a backup qb who can close out that game and win the next one to keep the team in the playoff hunt for brees.

Also, i believe in daniel's first year he was on our practice squad. If i had to guess it is highly likely we will hunt for a new udfa practice squad qb and roll with the experienced mccown as a backup to brees.

Last year Luck McCown was not good in preseason games, I know he is a back up but you need someone young to learn from Drew Brees. Sorry but I do not like this signing. I think Saints will pick up UDFA just to compete with him in camp.

Does anyone know Colt's salary situation? I dont remember if he was drafted back when rookie contracts were huge. If so, this might take the 49ers out of the Nnamdi sweepstakes, since they were already close to the cap.

He was a third round pick so his salary shouldn't be too bad.

If this was a decision Colt made it wasn't a good one; he can't develop under Kaepernik with his pocket play; he needs a presence like Drew. But judging from the way this is worded, he was likely traded.

This QB announcement PLUS the signing of the cast off DE from Dallas, Kenyon Coleman, left me feeling as if we haven't really made any headway at all. Taking from Dallas is what Coach Payton did back in '06 and it did help up immediately get better but not GREAT. Now, we "EXPECT" Great and seem to be settling for guys from Dallas ( again) to go along with their DC, who may be a "fit" for Coach Ryan but do these guys, both Coleman and the LB we signed from "D", really fit The SAINTS and the players we've had for several years? I may just have been wishing for more and then seeing the McClown signing.....................I just don't know nor feel as if we're making moves to make us that much better. McClown's got more INTs than TDs after kicking around with lesser teams so even though he spent a little time with us last year, I can't see him being a "first choice" when we've seen his work and thought better of Chase anyway and no one could possibly thing Canfield ( a polar opposite of DREW) could come in with his left handed passes and not knowing the players or our system under real game conditions. No, this is not turning out to look good for US but there's still time I keep telling myself even though I'm seeing the 9'er's on the move and TB making moves and even atl. has gone out and gotten help worth having. Our SAINTS haven't really done much to advance their cause, more like damage control. Who knows? Just maybe Coleman will be able to make that big body move for The B & G and we'll all be singing in The DOME again??? I sure HOPE so anyway!

This QB announcement PLUS the signing of the cast off DE from Dallas, Kenyon Coleman, left me feeling as if we haven't really made any headway at all. Taking from Dallas is what Coach Payton did back in '06 and it did help up immediately get better but not GREAT. Now, we "EXPECT" Great and seem to be settling for guys from Dallas ( again) to go along with their DC, who may be a "fit" for Coach Ryan but do these guys, both Coleman and the LB we signed from "D", really fit The SAINTS and the players we've had for several years? I may just have been wishing for more and then seeing the McClown signing.....................I just don't know nor feel as if we're making moves to make us that much better. McClown's got more INTs than TDs after kicking around with lesser teams so even though he spent a little time with us last year, I can't see him being a "first choice" when we've seen his work and thought better of Chase anyway and no one could possibly thing Canfield ( a polar opposite of DREW) could come in with his left handed passes and not knowing the players or our system under real game conditions. No, this is not turning out to look good for US but there's still time I keep telling myself even though I'm seeing the 9'er's on the move and TB making moves and even atl. has gone out and gotten help worth having. Our SAINTS haven't really done much to advance their cause, more like damage control. Who knows? Just maybe Coleman will be able to make that big body move for The B & G and we'll all be singing in The DOME again??? I sure HOPE so anyway!

I think you're underestimating the Lewis and Watson pickups. Victor Butler I'm not so sure about, but could be a gem. Coleman looks to be decent depth. McCown is the first "meh" signing.

Does anyone know Colt's salary situation? I dont remember if he was drafted back when rookie contracts were huge. If so, this might take the 49ers out of the Nnamdi sweepstakes, since they were already close to the cap.

Well, Salary Cap limitations never stopped them before...

You wanted us to go out and break the bank? Haven't we seen that and laughed at it from other teams enough in the history of free agency?

this is one of the most ridiculous arguments that people spout all the time with regards to the backup quarterback. The reason we need a backup qb, made especially prevalent in today's nfl, is let's say brees gets hit helmet to helmet and suffers a concussion and is out for the remainder of the game and the next week against a mediocre team (knock on wood that this doesnt happen). You need a backup qb who can close out that game and win the next one to keep the team in the playoff hunt for brees.

Also, i believe in daniel's first year he was on our practice squad. If i had to guess it is highly likely we will hunt for a new udfa practice squad qb and roll with the experienced mccown as a backup to brees.

Ditto Fujitaboutit. What if we got a 1st round bye and Drew gets that concussion in the 1st half of the divisional round. Now tell me you're o.k. with McCown.

I want someone who has actually proven they are / were someone who has had success in the past as a starting QB. McCown has never shown Me anything. Wonder what Jeff Garcia's status is now. Has he retired? Would he accept a backup spot at the vet minimum or maybe a bit above? But he is the kind of guy I would be looking for. McCown can go back to the turds.

Sent From My HTC - DNA via Tapatalk 2

Yeah, too bad we didn't get a fragile, noodle-armed backup QB with a helicopter dad. Would've loved to give up some draft picks for that scenario.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom