Colts forum chock full of amazing statements (1 Viewer)

I agree every team has weaknesses, the elite ones can cover them up or negate the impact.....the Colts didn't go 12-4 and win the SB last season with a porous run D because they got lucky.....

if Ugoh struggles, the Colts will adjust to help him as he needs it.....look for a lot of max protect if Manning gets pressured......

what about the Saints and Colston being the #1 receiver for the first time? don't you think that might be an issue?

Colston was the #1 receiver in a few games last year.

I agree every team has weaknesses, the elite ones can cover them up or negate the impact.....the Colts didn't go 12-4 and win the SB last season with a porous run D because they got lucky.....

if Ugoh struggles, the Colts will adjust to help him as he needs it.....look for a lot of max protect if Manning gets pressured......

what about the Saints and Colston being the #1 receiver for the first time? don't you think that might be an issue?

He was the number 1 half of last season. Horn was hurt alot. Not that it matters. #1 means nothing to our offense. Brees will throw to everyone.

>>but just goes to show they do have some uninformed Colts fans out there.

Saints fans are some of the most ignorant going too. Not so much on the Saints Super Forum, but there are a lot of big talkers around here that don't know the game of football. Just listen to any call-in talk show :covri:

Having said that, screw whatever Bongo said about Reggie being a slot receiver. Look for David Patten in that role today if/when we employ a 3WR set. Look for Reggie to split out wide on occasions.

I've got Reggie putting up 100 yards in the running and short passing game (excluding return yards) and Deuce hitting the 90-110 range rushing tonight on about 25 carries. Expect someone else, Eric Johnson?, Devery Henderson?, to factor in on some big plays tonight.

TPS

He was the number 1 half of last season. Horn was hurt alot. Not that it matters. #1 means nothing to our offense. Brees will throw to everyone.
yeah, but it means something to defense like who will be covering him.....on a lot of teams, there can be a dropoff from #1 CB to #2 CB......look at Denver, the Colts just kept throwing away from Champ all game and beat up that defense......

yeah, but it means something to defense like who will be covering him.....on a lot of teams, there can be a dropoff from #1 CB to #2 CB......look at Denver, the Colts just kept throwing away from Champ all game and beat up that defense......

how do you feel about the #2 cb yall have now? hayden (not sure if this is the right name)?

i felt like marlin jackson was a solid player coming out of michigan but i dont know much about the other corner. he did make some plays in the superbowl though

do you have confidence in him filling in as a fulltime starter?

and yes, we do have our own weaknesses. one of which like you pointed out is who do we go to on a big third and 7 when we need that first down.

the answer is that only time will tell. i think we have the guys on the team to get it done but we will have to wait and see

how do you feel about the #2 cb yall have now? hayden (not sure if this is the right name)?

i felt like marlin jackson was a solid player coming out of michigan but i dont know much about the other corner. he did make some plays in the superbowl though

do you have confidence in him filling in as a fulltime starter?

and yes, we do have our own weaknesses. one of which like you pointed out is who do we go to on a big third and 7 when we need that first down.

the answer is that only time will tell. i think we have the guys on the team to get it done but we will have to wait and see
from a pure physical standpoint, Hayden and Jackson are near twins.....same height, nearly identical weight......but, Hayden was a WR for most of his time in college.....IIRC, he played CB one season before going pro.....which is why despite his measurables, he was available in the second round for the Colts to take....he has had two years of coaching to get him up to speed......from what I have seen, he looks pretty good, with one exception.....he has gotten called for a couple of penalties in the preseason.....I suspect he has been a little excited and a little overagressive.....if anyone can calm him down some, it is Dungy.....beyond that, he has looked pretty solid.....I can already see the corners being more physical this year than last.....I think there will be a major difference in how they play.....

we can find out more tonight..... :) ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL????

I'm not registering over there, because I don't really care. But come on:

>>if i was a saints fan id be wishing it isnt a blow out game like it was at the superdome a few years ago. you know the game where manning threw 6 TD's in one game.

If I were a Colts fan, I'd be hoping that that 1 blowout wasn't an anomaly. See the Saints have taken 5 of the last 6 from Indianapolis. But it's a new season with some new players. We'll see what happens. Had we not gotten blown out that game, we'd own Indianapolis/Baltimore even more than we own the Dallas Cowboys. :hihi:

TPS

I'm not registering over there, because I don't really care. But come on:

>>if i was a saints fan id be wishing it isnt a blow out game like it was at the superdome a few years ago. you know the game where manning threw 6 TD's in one game.

If I were a Colts fan, I'd be hoping that that 1 blowout wasn't an anomaly. See the Saints have taken 5 of the last 6 from Indianapolis. But it's a new season with some new players. We'll see what happens. Had we not gotten blown out that game, we'd own Indianapolis/Baltimore even more than we own the Dallas Cowboys. :hihi:

TPS

well, there are idiot Colts fans and idiot Saints fans.....specially given the recent history of both teams will bring out the fair weather fans.....

>>well, there are idiot Colts fans and idiot Saints fans.....specially given the recent history of both teams will bring out the fair weather fans.....

Indeed. It's kinda funny because my nephew, sophomore in college, never liked football. He used to go to his high school games because he was in band. And it wasn't only football, he hated all sports. Now he's got a Saints clock, Saints neon light, several jerseys, etc. and goes to most of the games even though he doesn't even know the first thing about any of the rules. :shrug: But what are you going to do?

I have some mixed feelings on the Colts. I hated what the Irsays did to Baltimore (same reason I hate the Ravens). But homeboys Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne play for the Colts. Marvin Harrison has been nothing but class. I don't agree with his religious themes, but I've always liked Coach Dungy even as head coach of our division rival Bucs. But there's no denying that the Colts earned the right to host the kickoff game. You guys won some tough games in the playoffs and then dispensed with the Bears who had just beaten us. I don't watch much wrestling anymore, but Ric Flair's old line about beating the man if you want to beat the man is apropos. And the Colts are the proverbial man.

Here's to a good game and good outing by both teams. I'm looking for 800 yards of collective offense.

TPS

I have some mixed feelings on the Colts. I hated what the Irsays did to Baltimore (same reason I hate the Ravens). But homeboys Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne play for the Colts. Marvin Harrison has been nothing but class. I don't agree with his religious themes, but I've always liked Coach Dungy even as head coach of our division rival Bucs. But there's no denying that the Colts earned the right to host the kickoff game. You guys won some tough games in the playoffs and then dispensed with the Bears who had just beaten us. I don't watch much wrestling anymore, but Ric Flair's old line about beating the man if you want to beat the man is apropos. And the Colts are the proverbial man.

Here's to a good game and good outing by both teams. I'm looking for 800 yards of collective offense.

TPS

I do understand what you mean about the Colts.....I have ties to the Baltimore Colts.....now I was born and raised in Indiana, but my dad grew up in Baltimore watching Johny Unitas....my Dad and Grandmother actually went to the 58 NFL Champ game in New York, "The Greatest Game ever played".....now I was 12 when the Colts moved, so I didn't understand the implications of what was going on, I was just happy the NFL was coming to Indy.....and I don't think the team leaving Baltimore bothered him, but I think he is sad the Colts name and records left Baltimore.....and I give credit to the Ravens owner for leaving the Browns name with Cleveland......looking back, I wish Irsay had done the same.....but it is ancient history at this point and I consider it dead and buried with Robert Irsay.....from all accounts about his son, the apple fell far from the tree.....I just don't see anyway to go back and change the past now.....I think the Indianapolis Colts having there own history now may actually help with the people in Baltimore who are still bitter....

as far as the game tonight, I don't see it being as close as people think.....I look at the Saints and I see the Colts from about 2002 or 2003, before they really made the jump to an elite team.....I think the Saints are good, but not yet great.....I think in a year or two, you will be right up there with Indy, NE, Chicago.....but there is a certain amount trials a team has to go through to reach that level....last season, the Colts went 8-1 against good teams including the playoffs.....that is not something even good teams do.....I think as Bush and Colston get more acclimated to the NFL, the Saints will get to that level.....I just don't see them there yet.....

I wish the Saints and Saint fans the best of luck, after tonight :)

EDIT: thats not to say that the Saints can't win tonight, just that it will require some luck and a lot of mistake free football....

I do not see addai being able to play a full season in the NFL as the number 1 guy. he could not even do that at LSU.
Totally agree. I for one am hoping the Saints win. But I dont see anyway the Saints can stop manning. I think the Saints coaching staff can lose this game if they choose not to run Deuce all night.

fair enough, a second rounder then

my point was that bongo says the defense is elite and better over last years.

i find that hard to believe when you lose an all pro LT

indy is an outstanding team, but like all teams, there are a few weakpoints
i said the Colts O is elite. The Colts D is terrible against the run. The only strength they have on D is Freeney and Mathis. And the Saints cant match up with either one on one all day, infact no one can.

The Colts MO is to run up the score and make you one dimensional. IE: you have to pass and then Freeney and MAthis kill you and you throw into the Tampa two. That is how they have won 4 AFC South Titles. Go back and look at how Jeff Fisher played them twice last yr with a bad D. He controled the clock with his RB and QB on the ground on sustained drives. You must convert 50% or greater on third down on them or your gonna lose. The Titans were clearly overmatched twice last yr but he lost to them by one in Indy and beat them by 3 in Nashville. That is how you beat the Colts.

>>but just goes to show they do have some uninformed Colts fans out there.

Saints fans are some of the most ignorant going too. Not so much on the Saints Super Forum, but there are a lot of big talkers around here that don't know the game of football. Just listen to any call-in talk show :covri:

Having said that, screw whatever Bongo said about Reggie being a slot receiver. Look for David Patten in that role today if/when we employ a 3WR set. Look for Reggie to split out wide on occasions.

I've got Reggie putting up 100 yards in the running and short passing game (excluding return yards) and Deuce hitting the 90-110 range rushing tonight on about 25 carries. Expect someone else, Eric Johnson?, Devery Henderson?, to factor in on some big plays tonight.

You're right about the uninformed fans here. I guess sometimes I forget about that because I believe the talk on this forum is more logical and knowledgable than any other forum I've read and you forget about the people who don't post here. To me, it's not even close but maybe it's cause I'm a homer.TPS

TPS[/QUOTE]

TPS, you're right about the uninformed fans here. I guess sometimes I forget about that because I believe the talk on this forum is more logical and knowledgable than any other forum I've read and you forget about the people who don't post here. To me, it's not even close but maybe it's cause I'm a homer.

>>TPS, you're right about the uninformed fans here. I guess sometimes I forget about that because I believe the talk on this forum is more logical and knowledgable than any other forum I've read and you forget about the people who don't post here. To me, it's not even close but maybe it's cause I'm a homer.

Hopefully it will remain that way around here. There has been a lot of talk about quantity over quality especially with all the new fans (or old fans that came back to the team) last season. And there's always guys around here like SaintJ or Spam to backslap a bad poster upside the head with actual football knowledge when appropriate. But there are some real idiot Saints fans (not to mention legions of idiot LSU fans) who just don't care to see reality. Something gets said somewhere, and it ends up being repeated everywhere else as if it were the truth. Hopefully with the success of the Saints, actual football smarts will impart themselves into the casual fan via osmosis or something. We'll see.
-------------------------------------
TJK,

Fair enough. I think it boils down to two of the top 5 or 6 teams in the league that happen to be offensive juggernauts. But throw in that it's only Week #1 where anything can happen and it's almost a tosssup. I think the line (Colts -6 opened at 5 or 5.5) is about right and says that the oddsmakers recognize that the Saints aren't simply pedestrian. I'm no betting expert, but I'd assume that there are 24 or 25 other teams in the league who would be at least a touchdown underdog to you guys. We're going to need our A game and a break or two to beat you guys - which can be done, but we're going to have to fight hard to do it. And in that spirit, may the best team win.

Ultimately, I think you guys have a tough climb to get a shot at the repeat. As you know, Super Bowl Champs wear the target. Every opponent views their game the following season as a measuring stick. And medicore/bad teams get fired up at the opportunity to play the defending champion. It looks like New England has re-stocked their team as has Denver (who I think is underrated). Baltimore presents a tough challenge as might San Diego (despite changing the coaching staff) who I thought were the best two teams in football heading into the playoffs. Good luck after tonight.

TPS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom