Combine: Cornerbacks discussion (2 Viewers)

My top ten? That's probably wildly different from the best NFL consensus :hihi:

My top ten is (in no particular order)
Chris Long
Jake Long
Vernon Ghoulston
Darren McFadden
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Glenn Dorsey
Sedrick Ellis
Rashard Mendenhall
Williams, Chris

But that's me as of right now. I have no idea what the NFL Top Ten will be

That's only 9 you listed...:hihi:

I think we'll find the top 7-8 are pretty uniform with many of us...it's that #8/#9 and #10 that are the wild cards, and those will determine who, if any, of those top guys will fall to us. We know that there will be draft day surprises, that's for sure...and the collegiate pro days are still upcoming!

This is fun. I'm getting no work done, between NFLN on my computer and also running in HD in the living room. It's a good thing this is the last day of the combine!

That's only 9 you listed...:hihi:

:hihi: Oops. I guess I don't have a "#10" then. Those 9 came to the top of my head easily, I can't think of someone who fits cleanly into that group. Maybe Brandon Flowers at CB

:hihi: Oops. I guess I don't have a "#10" then. Those 9 came to the top of my head easily, I can't think of someone who fits cleanly into that group. Maybe Brandon Flowers at CB

I notice you didn't have Matt Ryan in your top 10...I'm not sure he's a top 10 player, but I don't see a scenario where the top 10 doesn't have a QB in it. Perhaps the Ravens would take him...?

My top 8 was easy...it's the other two that I'm having trouble with.

I agree with my better half that someone is going to take a QB in the top 10. If Miami trades down a few spots, it will be them. It may be Atlanta for all their talk of looking at Dorsey and Ellis. Matt Ryan is the most likely candidate, but we may get surprised by who that first QB is.
I agree with the other 9 you have listed, LSS. The kicker is what order will they fall (in other words, the vital question: who will be the one left at #10?)

I agree with my better half that someone is going to take a QB in the top 10. If Miami trades down a few spots, it will be them. It may be Atlanta for all their talk of looking at Dorsey and Ellis. Matt Ryan is the most likely candidate, but we may get surprised by who that first QB is.
I agree with the other 9 you have listed, LSS. The kicker is what order will they fall (in other words, the vital question: who will be the one left at #10?)

Brohm appears in some mocks that have Miami picking Ryan (which won't happen), and they have the Ravens picking Brohm. The Falcons might be looking at a QB too.

I notice you didn't have Matt Ryan in your top 10...I'm not sure he's a top 10 player, but I don't see a scenario where the top 10 doesn't have a QB in it. Perhaps the Ravens would take him...?

My top 8 was easy...it's the other two that I'm having trouble with.

Well QBs are always a special case. My personal preference is to consider them seperate and distinct from other positions because they follow special rules.

You can select BPA.....except at QB. And you usually do BPA.....unless you need a QB. The QB position breaks the rules and really exists "outside" of the other positions.

So while Matt Ryan wouldn't be considered at all really by New Orleans, New England, Cinncinati, etc, he has to be a consideration for Atlanta, Miami, etc. So he doesn't really belong ranked with other players...just my opinion.

Beyond which, us evaluating the QB position is pretty laughable. It's one thing to watch these CBs and go "oh he's fast, he has quick feet, he has good ball skills, etc". Those are things we can determine. Our opinion about these QBs, unless it's a QB we're intimately familiar with (like you with Matt Flynn perhaps), is beyond amateurish and more-or-less flat-out ignorant. I have no idea what Ryan's personnality is. I have no idea what his football IQ is. I've seen maybe, I don't know, him throw 120 passes? And that was on TV without knowing what his reads were or getting to really key in on whether he missed his reads, where he was supposed to place the ball, etc.

Boy the tone of this draft sure has changed.

At one point we were looking at Malcom Jenkins and Mike Jenkins as the top two CBs, neither of whom I was particularly enamored with.

As time has gone by we learn more about these players and some of the Juniors actually declared we're looking at Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Brandon Flowers, and Leodis McElvin all possibly sniff the Top Ten. And I would be happy with any of them (particularly Flowers or DRC). Aqib Talib is in there as well. I think Mike Jenkins right now is sitting at the #5 CB slot.

That position looks so much better then it did back in December.

I posted this in another thread but I think it may more sense to discuss it here:

As of now, I think there were 7 clear cut players that were the top 8 picks, in any order you want:

Sedrick Ellis
Glenn Dorsey
Chris Long
Vernon Gholston
Jake Long
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan

Interesting part is that the patriots at 7, bengals at 9 and probably the ravens at 8 can be targeting the same players as the saints.

To me, the best scenario would be if the falcons would come to their senses and draft Jake Long. They really need to re-build their offensive line. That way Matt Ryan would fall to the ravens, and I don't think they will pass on him.

Derrick Harvey and Rogers Cromartie are possibly the defensive players that may improve dramatically their position and go to the top ten. Mendenhall can be a surprise also at the top 10.

If the patriots don't have a chance on Gholston, I see them more to take a chance on Harvey then on any cornerback. Harvey also can be very tempting to the bengals, who will loose Justin Smith and have drafted corners earlier in previous draft.

I thought before the combine that we would be at #10 in a place where value on defense wasn't as good. Things are starting to change.

Where is the drop off from the 1st tier players to the 2nd tier? Where is that break where teams will be wanting to move up to get one of the top tier players?

It looks like ththere are players in this draft that grade out very well to all the 1st round picks. 2nd round may be where teams will be wanting to move up.

I posted this in another thread but I think it may more sense to discuss it here:

As of now, I think there were 7 clear cut players that were the top 8 picks, in any order you want:

Sedrick Ellis
Glenn Dorsey
Chris Long
Vernon Gholston
Jake Long
Darren McFadden
Matt Ryan

Interesting part is that the patriots at 7, bengals at 9 and probably the ravens at 8 can be targeting the same players as the saints.

To me, the best scenario would be if the falcons would come to their senses and draft Jake Long. They really need to re-build their offensive line. That way Matt Ryan would fall to the ravens, and I don't think they will pass on him.

Derrick Harvey and Rogers Cromartie are possibly the defensive players that may improve dramatically their position and go to the top ten. Mendenhall can be a surprise also at the top 10.

If the patriots don't have a chance on Gholston, I see them more to take a chance on Harvey then on any cornerback. Harvey also can be very tempting to the bengals, who will loose Justin Smith and have drafted corners earlier in previous draft.

I thought before the combine that we would be at #10 in a place where value on defense wasn't as good. Things are starting to change.

Yes, I'm also pleased at the possibilities that might be available to us at #10. What will be particularly interesting is if Atlanta picks Ryan, and the Ravens feel they must go for a QB and select Brohm. That scenario is on many mocks, and would only benefit us.

I'm also afraid that the pats will take the top CB ahead of us, but then again, after the Super Bowl I'm thinking they'll want to address the OL if the right guy (Jake Long) is there, or they'll trade down and selecting Clady (since Long will likely be gone at #7). Still, at #7, one of those guys Guillermo mentioned (which I agree with as the top 7) WILL be there...who do they pass on in order to select a CB? I don't see them passing on any of those guys, except Ryan, who won't be there, I can guarantee.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom