Comic Book Talk (2 Viewers)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The "what are you reading" thread gave me the idea to kick off a comic book discussion thread. I was kind of surprised that we didn't have one going already, seeing as we have a rather diverse crowd of comic lovers. So, to get this one going, I bring this news:

https://screenrant.com/superman-costume-action-comics/

And I couldn't be more excited by it! :)

Reaction score
So, Bleeding Cool stuck again, posting an interview with Vox Day (of comicsgate fame). As a result, they've finally named a new Editor-in-Chief. That should've been happened. What the hell were they thinking giving that guy a platform?
I've long had the impression that there is little oversight there. If you're staff you just post whatever, unedited, as quickly as possible. The guy that did the interview, Mark Seifert, is co owner of the site, but it was a total blunder. Their newly named editor has some of the worst edited writing on the site and doesn't seem to understand half of what she writes about, though, which seems par for the course. I think they're on a shoestring budget and everyone except Rich Johnston is working for peanuts.

I basically only go there for Johnston's rumor mongering, but even he doesn't seem to have the sources he used to. He still breaks stuff time to time, but they days of Lying in the Gutters being a must read rumor column feel like a million years ago. And his role with the site is weird. I remember when Bleeding Cool launched and he was poached from Comic Book Resources the implication was that it was his site, funded by Avatar Press. But he now insists he has no ownership stake or editorial oversight there and that it isn't "his" site at all, he's just a hired gun. That was definetly not the implication originally.

There really is almost no good comics related journalism anymore. CBR and Newsarama turned into garbage clickbait generalist entertainment sites. I have no idea what Heidi McDonald is doing these days. Bleeding Cool turned generalist a bit at a time. Kinda depressing what the state of things is these days.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
I've long had the impression that there is little oversight there. If you're staff you just post whatever, unedited, as quickly as possible. The guy that did the interview, Mark Seifert, is co owner of the site, but it was a total blunder. Their newly named editor has some of the worst edited writing on the site and doesn't seem to understand half of what she writes about, though, which seems par for the course. I think they're on a shoestring budget and everyone except Rich Johnston is working for peanuts.

I basically only go there for Johnston's rumor mongering, but even he doesn't seem to have the sources he used to. He still breaks stuff time to time, but they days of Lying in the Gutters being a must read rumor column feel like a million years ago. And his role with the site is weird. I remember when Bleeding Cool launched and he was poached from Comic Book Resources the implication was that it was his site, funded by Avatar Press. But he now insists he has no ownership stake or editorial oversight there and that it isn't "his" site at all, he's just a hired gun. That was definetly not the implication originally.

There really is almost no good comics related journalism anymore. CBR and Newsarama turned into garbage clickbait generalist entertainment sites. I have no idea what Heidi McDonald is doing these days. Bleeding Cool turned generalist a bit at a time. Kinda depressing what the state of things is these days.
CBR and Newsarama were my favorites. But CBR got out of hand with these stupid top 15 lists and Newsarama just got bad.

When it only became about getting clicks and the revenue from them, that's when it all went downhill.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else is reading Detective Comics, but dear sweet baby Jeebus, please make it stop. I'd rather look at blank pages.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else is reading Detective Comics, but dear sweet baby Jeebus, please make it stop. I'd rather look at blank pages.
I'm not. Is there more Batwang or something?

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
How dreadful is dreadful? Example please. Is there some "Boom!" "Bam!" "Pow!" like in the old TV show?
That was in King's last issue of Batman. One page of pure dialogue; the other 21 was that.

This is an example from Detective...

Detective-Comics-990-2.jpg

When has Batman ever talked this way?

Last edited:

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Let me take back a little on Batman...

You had a little of this

Batman-57-5.jpg
scattered throughout of this...

Batman-57-4.jpg
Which ended with a page and a half of this...
Batman-57-7.jpg

If you've ever read Ten Nights of the Beast, this is Tom King's version of it.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
"I've battled new gods, man!" ??
"And a body of hurt." ??

And then the whole "I'll find out who hired you" reminds me of:

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've been a comic reading binge today. I know I can't be the only one who enjoys the smell of a new comic, right? It might be a little weird, but smell has a strong tie to memory and the smell of a comic never fails to transport me back to my younger years.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I've been a comic reading binge today. I know I can't be the only one who enjoys the smell of a new comic, right? It might be a little weird, but smell has a strong tie to memory and the smell of a comic never fails to transport me back to my younger years.
The smell of old comics is better in my opinion.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The smell of old comics is better in my opinion.
Oh yes, no doubt about that. I love the old school paper with that slightly rough texture. Today's comics are so smooth and shiny, but they still have that good smell to them.

OP
OP
bonnjer

bonnjer

Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So, my multi-weekend comic reading binge has brought me close to caught up. I've now gotten past Action Comics 1001, so I'm well into Bendis time. I really enjoyed Action Comics 1000 with the different stories. The art was quite varied and there were a couple of times when Superman definitely had the Christopher Reeve look going, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Now, the whole thing with Rogol Zaar / destruction of Krypton / city of Kandor thing....this is some major Superman lore that Bendis is playing with and I'm not sure how I feel on it. Oh, and the whole Lois and Jon going off to parts unknown. Bendis is definitely trying to turn this ship in a different direction.

I am liking the change in paper that DC started using. The gloss is gone and it's got more texture to it.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
So, my multi-weekend comic reading binge has brought me close to caught up. I've now gotten past Action Comics 1001, so I'm well into Bendis time. I really enjoyed Action Comics 1000 with the different stories. The art was quite varied and there were a couple of times when Superman definitely had the Christopher Reeve look going, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Now, the whole thing with Rogol Zaar / destruction of Krypton / city of Kandor thing....this is some major Superman lore that Bendis is playing with and I'm not sure how I feel on it. Oh, and the whole Lois and Jon going off to parts unknown. Bendis is definitely trying to turn this ship in a different direction.

I am liking the change in paper that DC started using. The gloss is gone and it's got more texture to it.
Just wait until you really catch up. I've stopped reading Action and Superman, but I listen to a podcast that does a focus on the Superman books. What I hear doesn't make me feel bad about my decision.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom