Comic Book Talk (1 Viewer)

bonnjer

Let the Wins Count begin!
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
The "what are you reading" thread gave me the idea to kick off a comic book discussion thread. I was kind of surprised that we didn't have one going already, seeing as we have a rather diverse crowd of comic lovers. So, to get this one going, I bring this news:

https://screenrant.com/superman-costume-action-comics/

And I couldn't be more excited by it! :)

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone here subscribes to him, but there's a YouTuber called Comic Tropes that does absolutely fantastic video essays on the industry. He covers everything from specific creators to the history of the industry. I highly reccomend his stuff.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone here subscribes to him, but there's a YouTuber called Comic Tropes that does absolutely fantastic video essays on the industry. He covers everything from specific creators to the history of the industry. I highly reccomend his stuff.
I'm gonna take a look.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
So since we're discussing shows, what podcasts/videos are you guys listening to? Here are some of mine:

Comic Conspiracy (hosted by the owner of an LCS in California)
Casual Wednesdays (another done by owners in Chicago)
DC3Cast
BatForce Radio
Comic Geek Speak
Comic Book Commentary (the actual writer does a page-by-page commentary of the issue)
Power Cosmic Podcast (done by the guy that runs TerrifiCon)
Comic Book Historians

And of course, I also have to self-promote the Batman Universe Comic Podcast, which I co-host. Tomorrow's episode will have a mini rant from me regarding uniformity in continuity (or the lack thereof).

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
I went to my local shop for the first time since the lockdown.

I asked for Captain America volume #183482 issue #21.

They didn't have it despite it being advertised as available on their website.

They tried to direct me to Empyre. I told them that it's the same garbage that drove me away from collecting 20+years ago. They're having problems printing their issues but rather than taking care of their regular customers they chose to print a massive storyline that's going to cost hundreds to follow. My guess is that lots of the regular characters will have drastic changes to their stories that won't be explained in the regular books so that the regular books don't make sense.

Their question to me was "What's the big deal with Captain America #21? People keep asking for it but we hardly sell that book."

I told him that collectors want to make sure that we get it and it's months late. Other titles have been printed but now all that is released is Empyre.

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The latest Darth Vader comic finally came out. Marvel is finally getting back to business.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
Yeah. Marvel is really behind in their releases. Their last two Previews catalog was, for the most part, nothing but re-solicits.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
Heidi McDonald is basically reporting the same thing, as are some others. Looks like DC is about to be slashed to the bone, both in terms of workforce and output. Vibe I'm getting from what I've read is anything that isn't a Bat or Justice League title may not belong for the world. Sounds very dire.

And yeah, Disney took a what, $5 billion hit this quarter due to the pandemic? Marvel will be seeing big cuts soon.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
I'll also add this entirely speculative bit on my part: several months ago when the then unfounded rumor about Warners/AT&T possibly selling DC off or mothballing the publishing line hit, I wrote it off as baseless nonsense.

Now? It wouldn't shock me if it happened.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
I'll also add this entirely speculative bit on my part: several months ago when the then unfounded rumor about Warners/AT&T possibly selling DC off or mothballing the publishing line hit, I wrote it off as baseless nonsense.

Now? It wouldn't shock me if it happened.
AT&T can't be that crazy to give up those IPs can they? No one is willing to just buy the publishing side and still pay AT&T for licensure.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
And it should also be mentioned that this isn't just a DC bloodbath. Warner Entertainment is taking cuts across the board from what they're reporting.

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
AT&T can't be that crazy to give up those IPs can they?
I worked for AT&T(actually SBC after they bought and took that name) for 11 years after they purchased Bellsouth. Nothing they do should surprise anyone. Their decision-making is extremely short-sighted. This is the same company that launched a streaming app(HBO Max) in 2020 with no 4k content and is still not available on Roku and Amazon Fire.

Sorry, not trying to threadjack. Just kinda touched a nerve I guess.

Sun Wukong

Reaction score
AT&T can't be that crazy to give up those IPs can they? No one is willing to just buy the publishing side and still pay AT&T for licensure.
I'm really just basing that on 1) Warners always having treated DC like a redheaded stepchild ever since they purchased them and 2), as Torgo said above, AT&T having a history of shortsighted and often illogical moves as a corporation.

Like if you just compare the place DC occupies with Warner Bros. and how they are treated there vs the place Marvel occupies with Disney and how they have been treated there it's a total Goofus and Gallant thing. Warner Bros. purchased DC in 1989, and in that time the only IP in their portfolio they've consistently been able to leverage is Batman despite having the most well known and oldest characters in the superhero genre. Even when they stumble backwards into a breakout character (Harley Quinn, for example) they end up sticking in her in a garbage movie that bombs completely in Birds of Prey.

Meanwhile Marvel/Disney turned Groot, a C-lister alien tree, into a household name. They've turned characters no one outside of hardcore comics fans knew into billion dollar film franchises.

Even before the AT&T purchase, Warner Bros. was really bad about understanding the value of what they have. Now that they've got an even more mercurial parent company to answer to, I legitimately have no idea what might happen.

Torgo

I am Torgo
Reaction score
I'm really just basing that on 1) Warners always having treated DC like a redheaded stepchild ever since they purchased them and 2), as Torgo said above, AT&T having a history of shortsighted and often illogical moves as a corporation.

Like if you just compare the place DC occupies with Warner Bros. and how they are treated there vs the place Marvel occupies with Disney and how they have been treated there it's a total Goofus and Gallant thing. Warner Bros. purchased DC in 1989, and in that time the only IP in their portfolio they've consistently been able to leverage is Batman despite having the most well known and oldest characters in the superhero genre. Even when they stumble backwards into a breakout character (Harley Quinn, for example) they end up sticking in her in a garbage movie that bombs completely in Birds of Prey.

Meanwhile Marvel/Disney turned Groot, a C-lister alien tree, into a household name. They've turned characters no one outside of hardcore comics fans knew into billion dollar film franchises.

Even before the AT&T purchase, Warner Bros. was really bad about understanding the value of what they have. Now that they've got an even more mercurial parent company to answer to, I legitimately have no idea what might happen.
So, honest question. Would it really be so bad if they sold off the IPs of DC? I mean, yeah, it would depend on the buyer, but it doesn't seem it's been in the best hands lately anyway.

Grandadmiral

Reaction score
So, honest question. Would it really be so bad if they sold off the IPs of DC? I mean, yeah, it would depend on the buyer, but it doesn't seem it's been in the best hands lately anyway.
Who would buy DC for the price they might look for?

Apple?
Netflix?
Comcast?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom