Comic Book Talk (5 Viewers)

Tomasi brings an interesting perspective in that he was an editor (and eventual senior editor) for almost 15 years before he quit to write full time. I think that probably gives him a perspective on the whole process that one or either side may be lacking at times. I generally think he's very good.

So a few notes in one post...

I finished reading Fantastic Four #1. Meh is the best way to describe it in my opinion. Dan Slott channeled his inner Bendis on this one (long, drawn out with no real payoff).

Bryan Edward Hill needs a Batman book to write. His current arc on Detective Comics is absolutely great. And if you haven't read his Michael Cray series under Wildstorm, you are truly missing out. Dude has skills.

Finally, this link below is one of the reasons I truly hate Dan DiDio. He's an absolute idiot. Concerned about an "oversaturation" of comics? Well no sheet, Sherlock! What do you think happens when you three to four Harley Quinn books going on at the same time? Batman #50 had almost 50 variant covers, including store exclusives. Marvel is without blame either with Fantastic Four #1 having 40 different covers. Really? But this asshat doesn't see that he and his decisions are part of the problem. forking dummy.

DC's DAN DiDIO Concerned About Comics' 'Oversaturation' in the Direct Market

It's like they learned no lessons from the 90's crash. In fact, I'm pretty sure the variant cover problem is significantly worse now than it was even then, especially with companies (mostly Marvel) strong arming retailers on minimum orders, etc. This is basically a carny industry at this point and the house of cards is gonna tumble again eventually. At least they both have massive corporate parents to keep them afloat as IP farms now, I guess. But should the movie money ever start drying up...

But even beyond variants, there are just too many books. You could scrap half of what Marvel publishes on a monthly basis and no one would notice. DC has too much redundancy, with characters headlining two, three books at a given time. Sometimes even more. The industry over-saturate on "it" characters (Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Wolverine, Batman, etc.) and then when the diminishing returns kick in they try to move to the next hot property. But eventually there won't be another one.

And as to FF...I don't really care for Dan Slott, truth be told.

Last edited:
It's like they learned no lessons from the 90's crash. In fact, I'm pretty sure the variant cover problem is significantly worse now than it was even then, especially with companies (mostly Marvel) strong arming retailers on minimum orders, etc. This is basically a carny industry at this point and the house of cards is gonna tumble again eventually. At least they both have massive corporate parents to keep them afloat as IP farms now, I guess. But should the movie money ever start drying up...

But even beyond variants, there are just too many books. You could scrap half of what Marvel publishes on a monthly basis and no one would notice. DC has too much redundancy, with characters headlining two, three books at a given time. Sometimes even more. The industry over-saturate on "it" characters (Deadpool, Harley Quinn, Wolverine, Batman, etc.) and then when the diminishing returns kick in they try to move to the next hot property. But eventually there won't be another one.

And as to FF...I don't really care for Dan Slott, truth be told.

I agree with most of this. I think legacy characters like Superman and Batman are ok where they stand with Superman/Action Comics and Batman/Detective Comics. But other than those type of characters, give me a break. Suicide Squad and Harley Quinn consistently have horrible numbers, yet they keep pushing it out and want to include her in everything. There are a million X-Men books and I just saw an article about Marvel disassembling them even more. Like what in the actual fork. Do they not see what people write about what they're putting out (especially Marvel).

I'm not a fan of Slott either. But, like I did with Bendis and regret, I said I would give him a shot on a new book just to see. Like I said before... meh.

Outside of the indies, the best creative teams are in DC. Unfortunately, they're being covered up by Snyder/King/Bendis trio, of which only one is truly good (King).

Oh, and is anyone reading Saga? Just saw the ending to issue #45. :omg2:

And now they are going on a one year hiatus. One year!?! What in the actual fork!!!

X-Men is a great example of oversaturation and redundancy. Not only do you have mult

Because Marvel Comics is a disaster, that's why. You could literally put a drunk lemur in charge and it would run the company better.

A lot of this is due to them going cheap on creatives years ago. When Grandadmiral said up above that DC has the better talent pool. he was absolutely right. That's because DC is willing to pay for talent. Marvel just hires randos to write bad comics and draw woke tumblr bait that appeals to no one.

X-Men is a great example of oversaturation and redundancy. Not only do you have mult

Because Marvel Comics is a disaster, that's why. You could literally put a drunk lemur in charge and it would run the company better.

A lot of this is due to them going cheap on creatives years ago. When Grandadmiral said up above that DC has the better talent pool. he was absolutely right. That's because DC is willing to pay for talent. Marvel just hires randos to write bad comics and draw woke tumblr bait that appeals to no one.

Oh, I totally believe it. Next thing you know, Wolvie's gonna develop rabies and start foaming at the mouth. Maybe he'll sprout wings and fly around slashing people with his heated claws.

Not sure if you guys are into podcasts, but if you are, you need to check it the Word Balloon podcast. Each episode is a long interview with a comic creator from today and yesterday. The last one I listened to was about a 2-hour conversation with Denny O'Neil. He had some good history on coming up in comics and how things have changed in the industry.

It's funny Sun mentioned DC willing to pay more. O'Neil's conversation proved that wasn't always the case. He mentioned two different stories. The first he started the only reason DC hired him is because they fired the entire creative staff for asking for health insurance. It wasn't his talent; they needed warm bodies to push out books. The second he discussed that when he went to ask for a raise, their response was to give him more books to write (back then they were paid per page). Marvel offered him threat raise and a promotion to an editor for one of their titles.

It's funny how time has changed things.

Anywho, y'all need to check that podcast out.

So I've mentioned numerous times in various threads that I lost almost my entire collection to Katrina. Well, since Katrina, I've been slowly rebuilding my collection, which has always been majority Batman titles (specifically Detective and the main Batman book). Last week, I took a stab and bought a Batman pack from Lone Star Comics. It was only $20, so I figured there wouldn't be much in there (expected a ton of the lesser known titles). Order came in today.

Holy sheet, was I wrong. The pack contained some 30-40 books. Almost half came from the two main books and were issues I've been missing and looking for. Another 12 or so came from the lesser known series titles, but were titles I collected. There was even a issue of Batman: The Cult, Part 3 (if you haven't read that miniseries, you need to). Of the remainder, they won't go to waste. I'll be using them on my decoupage project. Today ended up being a good day.

Wonder if I should take a stab and buy another one...

So I've mentioned numerous times in various threads that I lost almost my entire collection to Katrina. Well, since Katrina, I've been slowly rebuilding my collection, which has always been majority Batman titles (specifically Detective and the main Batman book). Last week, I took a stab and bought a Batman pack from Lone Star Comics. It was only $20, so I figured there wouldn't be much in there (expected a ton of the lesser known titles). Order came in today.

Holy shirt, was I wrong. The pack contained some 30-40 books. Almost half came from the two main books and were issues I've been missing and looking for. Another 12 or so came from the lesser known series titles, but were titles I collected. There was even a issue of Batman: The Cult, Part 3 (if you haven't read that miniseries, you need to). Of the remainder, they won't go to waste. I'll be using them on my decoupage project. Today ended up being a good day.

Wonder if I should take a stab and buy another one...

I told you they were good stuff. ;)

You can tell they care about the happiness of their customers.

I don't know if this is the right place for this. I've been thinking about picking one comic book to try to get my 6 year old into. She loves to read and loves superheroes, so it kind of made sense. Any thoughts on a good one for that age?

And can you get comic book subscriptions sent to your house each month? The last time I bought a comic book it was at the K&B on General DeGaulle, so that's probably not going to work anymore.

I don't know if this is the right place for this. I've been thinking about picking one comic book to try to get my 6 year old into. She loves to read and loves superheroes, so it kind of made sense. Any thoughts on a good one for that age?

And can you get comic book subscriptions sent to your house each month? The last time I bought a comic book it was at the K&B on General DeGaulle, so that's probably not going to work anymore.

This is definitely the place. DC has a comic book imprint specifically for kids. DC Super Hero Girls sounds right up her alley.

Most online comic shops do subscriptions. The one with the best price might be DCBS.com, where you can pre-order titles at a discount.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom