Comic Book Talk (1 Viewer)

Excalibur Comics. They're at 937 E 70th St. Unless there's something brand new and way more awesome in town (which I doubt), they're the best in Shreveport. Might be one of the best in the state.

Gonna look them up and stop by...

Am I the only one who signed up for DC Universe? It releases in this Saturday.

So when I said I was behind in my comics reading, I'm talking way behind. I just read Action Comics #987 and found out who Mr. Oz is. OMG!

I haven't been into reading or collecting new comics that much in the past few years, but this past summer I created a monster with my niece. LOL, I have gotten her into reading comics and she is all in on them....and in turn she got me back into them.

I lost my entire childhood (through till I was 30) collection to Katrina. After that I only collected and read some after that. The story that made me up and quit almost all of Marvel was "One more Day." Just not what Peter Parker would do...totally against his character.

Joe Quesada can go suck a cucumber.

The only one i would still read were Avengers, Deadpool, Thor, and G. I Joe (I know not Marvel).

I haven't been into reading or collecting new comics that much in the past few years, but this past summer I created a monster with my niece. LOL, I have gotten her into reading comics and she is all in on them....and in turn she got me back into them.

I lost my entire childhood (through till I was 30) collection to Katrina. After that I only collected and read some after that. The story that made me up and quit almost all of Marvel was "One more Day." Just not what Peter Parker would do...totally against his character.

The only one i would still read were Avengers, Deadpool, Thor, and G. I Joe (I know not Marvel).

Marvel Comics is a hot mess. Come over to the DC side of things. ;)

Probably the worse story arc ever written. Hate wouldn't describe what I feel about it.

And now we get to deal with people going crazy over Batman's penis... come on, people.

I find it funny that as the rumor mill says DC is going to change Dick Graysons name to something other than Dick, Batman starts waving his around for comic readers to see.

I find it funny that as the rumor mill says DC is going to change Dick Graysons name to something other than Dick, Batman starts waving his around for comic readers to see.

And this isn't the first time they tried this with Dick. Each time it's failed and I wouldn't be shocked if it failed again.

I will say that I sort of understand DC's issue with it, though. "Dick" jokes aside (hardly a new issue), it's a little distracting to have this character that's supposed to be in his 20's (give or take) have an old, archaic name that nobody of that generation wold ever use. This isn't an uncommon issue with legacy characters from the 30's/40's/50's, but I think his is unique in that while names like Diana or Clark or Wally or Hal may not be super common anymore, they're also not distracting in the way "Dick" is.

Of course, the uphill battle they have is that's what he's been known as for literal generations so changing it is easier said than done. And they've tried and failed before. I have noticed they just refer to him as "Richard Grayson" a lot more frequently now. I wonder if that's the approach they go with.

I will say that I sort of understand DC's issue with it, though. "Dick" jokes aside (hardly a new issue), it's a little distracting to have this character that's supposed to be in his 20's (give or take) have an old, archaic name that nobody of that generation wold ever use. This isn't an uncommon issue with legacy characters from the 30's/40's/50's, but I think his is unique in that while names like Diana or Clark or Wally or Hal may not be super common anymore, they're also not distracting in the way "Dick" is.

Of course, the uphill battle they have is that's what he's been known as for literal generations so changing it is easier said than done. And they've tried and failed before. I have noticed they just refer to him as "Richard Grayson" a lot more frequently now. I wonder if that's the approach they go with.

I've heard different options. Richard, of course. I also read that Rick was an option.

I'm sure they're going to use the events of Batman #55 (if you haven't read it yet) to push their efforts along.

So what's everyone's thoughts on the decision DC recently made with Batman: Damned (the censoring, the delay in reprints and subsequent issues)? It seems to me that they caved in to pressure that wasn't really there on a comic imprint they've said from day 1 would be raw and adult-oriented.

Seems to me like it kind of defeats the purpose of the Black Label concept. Did they get nervous because a handful of people were offended or some such sheet?

This is the inherent problem when you try to do a mature readers version of a character that has traditionally been more accessible. If you're going to do it, you can't get cold feet at the first sign of controversy. And there's going to be controversy because this isn't early 90's Vertigo or a new character with no background. It's one of your company's flagship characters. Either commit to the fact that you're going to ruffle feathers with it or don't do it.

It all makes me wonder with the ultimate order came from. Dan DiDio has never had a problem with pissing people off (he does it all the time). Makes me think the order to make a change came from further up.

It's crazy the uncensored version is selling for $60 less than two weeks after its release.

I thought the comic division of DC had their sheet together? Like you said GA, this had to have come from higher up. But I still don't get it. They promoted this as being for "mature" readers. Were people expecting they'd get some cursing and blood or something?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom