Comic Book Talk (4 Viewers)

On a side note, I've just been asked to become the permanent third member of the Batman podcast I guest host from time to time. Pretty stoked about that. Should be effective by July.
Congrats! What is the podcast? I'll have to give it a listen.

Lafayette LCS's sign. Lol

Congrats! What is the podcast? I'll have to give it a listen.

The Batman Universe (www.thebatmanuniverse.net). I'll be on the main comic podcast (done about four episodes already). Going to be recording again next week (I think) covering both volumes of Dustin Nguyen's Lil Gotham series. Once things are back to normal, we typically do news and the current issues of Batman and Tec.

DC wasn't playing when they said they were going to find alternatives to Diamond. Let's see if other publishers start to follow suit. I'm sure the smaller ones might be hand-tied to Diamond. Let's hope not.

DCBS is the online shop I buy my books from. They have a very efficient operation.

DC wasn't playing when they said they were going to find alternatives to Diamond. Let's see if other publishers start to follow suit. I'm sure the smaller ones might be hand-tied to Diamond. Let's hope not.

DCBS is the online shop I buy my books from. They have a very efficient operation.
There is a faint glimmer of hope, then. :)

There is a faint glimmer of hope, then. :)

I can't believe there are shops complaining about this. First they complained about the Comic Hub proposal. Now they're complaining about the new distributors. It's like they don't want to get back to business.

:idunno:

I can't believe there are shops complaining about this. First they complained about the Comic Hub proposal. Now they're complaining about the new distributors. It's like they don't want to get back to business.

:idunno:
Are they just complaining because they want the same old thing? They're scared to do something new, something different? This Diamond as the sole distributor has always been a terrible idea. Why would they complain with getting other distributors? It might be a little more work? I don't know - I'm just throwing out ideas.

It's often been overlooked due to people focusing on Diamond or the Big 2's business practices as harming the industry, but make no mistake: there are a lot of really awful shop owners out there that have caused just as much harm to the business as anyone on the production or supply side.

It's often been overlooked due to people focusing on Diamond or the Big 2's business practices as harming the industry, but make no mistake: there are a lot of really awful shop owners out there that have caused just as much harm to the business as anyone on the production or supply side.
Interesting point. In what ways? Poor customer service, poor management of inventory, etc?

Interesting point. In what ways? Poor customer service, poor management of inventory, etc?

All of that for sure, but on a more macro level a lot of these guys, especially with the bigger and more prominent shops, treat themselves like kingmakers and like to throw their weight around on industry matters, usually in such a way that seeks to benefit themselves over other owners or the business as a whole. In a lot of ways the direct market is less like a unified entity trying to survive in a niche economy and more like a bunch of warring clans seeking to assert power over the others.

Are they just complaining because they want the same old thing? They're scared to do something new, something different? This Diamond as the sole distributor has always been a terrible idea. Why would they complain with getting other distributors? It might be a little more work? I don't know - I'm just throwing out ideas.

They're complaining because the distribution companies are owned by comic retailers and they're claiming they are going to get preferential treatment for it. If it's not one thing it's another. The Word Balloon podcast (pompous ad-riddled show) had Rich Johnston (yeah, that guy) and the guy who owns Challengers Comics in Chicago (I personally told him he'd never get a dime from me with how he talks to people) talking about how this is not going to save the industry and is bound to fail.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

It looks like they're going heavy on DC.

Yeah, but if you notice for DC, it's not their big 2, Batman and Superman. Only reprints until June when they expect more comic shops to be opened. I wonder how DC's list with Diamond compares to the other distributors or if they're all the same.

Yeah, but if you notice for DC, it's not their big 2, Batman and Superman. Only reprints until June when they expect more comic shops to be opened. I wonder how DC's list with Diamond compares to the other distributors or if they're all the same.
I see DC is releasing Daphne Byrne #4 this week and Flash #753 next week. I'm happy about that.

I see DC is releasing Daphne Byrne #4 this week and Flash #753 next week. I'm happy about that.

I dropped Flash. Was gonna hold on until issue #100, but I stopped reading it after the Year One event and never looked back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom