Comic Book Talk (1 Viewer)

I dropped Flash. Was gonna hold on until issue #100, but I stopped reading it after the Year One event and never looked back.
I enjoy the fact that Joshua Williamson has stayed with the book for a while now. It gives some consistency. I think I probably enjoy the Flash books more than my Superman books right now. Stupid Bendis.

I enjoy the fact that Joshua Williamson has stayed with the book for a while now. It gives some consistency. I think I probably enjoy the Flash books more than my Superman books right now. Stupid Bendis.

Superman is hot trash in my opinion. Bendis is past his prime and needs to ride off into the sunset.

At least Bendis can rest easy knowing that 80% of everything written in comics today apes his intolerable dialogue style, so whenever you realize every character speaks in the exact same voice and it sounds like some weird Aaron Sorkin/Joss Whedon hybrid, he's responsible for that.

Back on a forum years ago, we would sometimes do this thing where you would take random dialogue from say a Claremont Xmen book or Peter David Hulk book or something like that and random dialogue from a Bendis book and try to guess what character was saying it. With the classic writers it was always easy. With Bendis nobody ever got it because every character he writes talks exactly the same.

Couldn’t decide if this was better here or in the vivid thread
===============

The pandemic has transformed Christina Blanch, owner of Aw Yeah Comics, into a nightly TV host.

Nine times a week, Blanch leads a livestream from the store she lives above in Muncie, Indiana, to sell some comics and interact with regulars. She holds up issues one by one, usually for $5 or $10, and takes down addresses from buyers.

It’s a way to get by but helps keep the shop’s community spirit alive. The show has a warm, thank-God-we-have-each-other feel to it. Sometimes Blanch sips a Modelo or vents about a difficult day. She calls it “What We Do in the Comic Shop.”

Long a repository for tales of world-threatening cataclysms and doomsday dystopias, the comic shop in the coronavirus era now finds itself drawn into a fight for its very survival.

The crisis, felt across retailers, poses a particular threat to comic book shops, a pop-culture institution that has, through pluck and passion, held out through digital upheaval while remaining stubbornly resistant to corporate ownership.

Even as the pandemic era takes on the appearance of a comic — desolate urban centers, masks everywhere — the ink-and-paper industry is at a standstill that some believe jeopardizes its future, casting doubt on how many shops will make it through and what might befall the gathering places of proud nerds, geeks and readers everywhere.

It won’t go — insert “POW!” bubble — without a fight...........

The infrastructure supporting the direct market of comic shops has been shaky for years, making the impact of the COVID-19 crisis all the more severe. Stores around the country are closed, distribution is paused, and publishers have ordered creators to stop working as they reevaluate their release schedules. The global pandemic is hitting retailers, creators, and publishers hard, and as we near the end of the first month without new comics, there’s still a lot of uncertainty about how the industry is going to recover and what it will look like after this crisis ends. A.V. Club comics writers Oliver Sava and Caitlin Rosberg break down what’s being done now to offer support, and explore potential avenues for recovery...…...

I've said before that some stores affected by this don't need to come back and that it should make things better. I still believe that. DC shipped out its first books to shops this week. Marvel is starting in May and have put out a decent mix of single floppies and TPBs. The industry will be different (already two new distributors to hopefully challenge Diamond moving forward. But comic books aren't going anywhere.

The displayed tweet isn't what I wanted to display. There's a few high profile comic clowns on there.

My old LCS hasn't posted a thing since before the last NCBD. The new owner is an butt crevasse and the main reason I am no longer a customer.

My old LCS hasn't posted a thing since before the last NCBD. The new owner is an butt crevasse and the main reason I am no longer a customer.
I saw that one of the two shops in Lafayette did a soft opening today. The other one has been open through all of this, but she's been doing curbside service only.

At one point, he was rumored to be leaving. Now that DiDio is gone, I wonder if that is still the case. Frankly, Snyder has never impressed me with the main DC books or even some of his independent stuff. And I won't be reading Death Metal either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom