Comic Book Talk (2 Viewers)

General comics question

When a specific comic is talked about (ie, that time Batman and the Joker teamed up) they always reference the issue number

That happened in in Detective Comics 228

That's great, but when was that? Was that issue in March 1958? October 1977? July 1991?

I never understood why they don't add the date in addition to the issue number

It's always been a pet peeve of mine

General comics question

When a specific comic is talked about (ie, that time Batman and the Joker teamed up) they always reference the issue number

That happened in in Detective Comics 228

That's great, but when was that? Was that issue in March 1958? October 1977? July 1991?

I never understood why they don't add the date in addition to the issue number

It's always been a pet peeve of mine

I forgot when they stopped doing that, but it's been so long it doesn't phase me at all. It confuses the hell out of some people especially when there are re-launches (looking at you Marvel). They rely on you to look inside, or understand how to read the current barcode format, to know what volume of the series your reading. I was happy when DC started moving things back to legacy numbering on their main books (first Action and Detective, now Flash and Wonder Woman as well). I fully expect that once we get past issue #100 of Batman next month, we'll be getting an announcement that Batman will be returning to legacy numbering as well, especially since it's the next book in line to reach issue #1000. It should reach it before Spider-Man (Marvel's closest) does.

So I spent the weekend in Memphis. On the way back home, stopped at The Comic Commander outside of Jackson, MS. After about 45 minutes, I finished up both volumes of Batman and Robin and almost finished Byrne's Sensational She-Hulk - all for less than $50.

Their inventory of dollar books is massive if you are missing some personal gems.

I'll be sending out party details soon as they are finalized...

:melike:

Now the question is what happens to him. If the rumors of exclusive contracts being heavily scrutinized as part of the budget cuts/restructure are true, will this be it for him at DC? Has enough time passed for him to do the inevitable big Marvel homecoming that will be just as underwhelming as his DC stint? Pardon my cynicism, but I've seen this same song and dance with creators so many times before that it's pretty easy to predict.

I forgot when they stopped doing that, but it's been so long it doesn't phase me at all. It confuses the hell out of some people especially when there are re-launches (looking at you Marvel). They rely on you to look inside, or understand how to read the current barcode format, to know what volume of the series your reading. I was happy when DC started moving things back to legacy numbering on their main books (first Action and Detective, now Flash and Wonder Woman as well). I fully expect that once we get past issue #100 of Batman next month, we'll be getting an announcement that Batman will be returning to legacy numbering as well, especially since it's the next book in line to reach issue #1000. It should reach it before Spider-Man (Marvel's closest) does.

It's one thing if you're holding the actual book in your hands but I'm more talking about just the references in articles

i like to know when the issue came out so I can get a mental picture of what the art was like at the time, also the writing, was it the innocent 50s or the edgy 90s?

About time. I wonder who replaces him and repairs the damage he's done?

Well, there's a story out today that Mark Waid is returning to DC (now that DiDio is gone). One of his best stories was Superman: Birthright (and my favorite Elseworld book ever, Kingdom Come). Only problem though it's that Waid is as much of a retread as Bendis is.

Pretty much everything in the upcoming December solicits screams relaunch...

Some of those covers though are absolutely awesome.

Well, there's a story out today that Mark Waid is returning to DC (now that DiDio is gone). One of his best stories was Superman: Birthright (and my favorite Elseworld book ever, Kingdom Come). Only problem though it's that Waid is as much of a retread as Bendis is.

He is, but he has wanted that Superman gig for a long time (I think not getting it was what led to the original falling out) and I think Waid is well suited to making it work. Maybe not the splashiest choice, but he won't screw it up.

He is, but he has wanted that Superman gig for a long time (I think not getting it was what led to the original falling out) and I think Waid is well suited to making it work. Maybe not the splashiest choice, but he won't screw it up.

I just need someone willing to retcon Jon Kent to his younger self.

Not that anyone expected otherwise at this point, but Jim Lee has officially confirmed 5G ain't happening, but some elements of it may be incorporated into books throughout 2021. No line wide event. Just stripping it for parts.

Not that anyone expected otherwise at this point, but Jim Lee has officially confirmed 5G ain't happening, but some elements of it may be incorporated into books throughout 2021. No line wide event. Just stripping it for parts.

I'm ok with this.

Take this story from Uncle Rich with a grain of salt, but one thing that is absolutely true... Marvel doesn't pay their creators well at all.

Take this story from Uncle Rich with a grain of salt, but one thing that is absolutely true... Marvel doesn't pay their creators well at all.

I know for a fact that there were Marvel writers in the past several years on mid and lower tier books still working day jobs. And there was the whole "recruiting artists from tumblr" thing years back. Let's just say you get what you pay for. I'd hate to see DC go down that path, as we saw some really, genuinely terrible output from Marvel with those kinds of policies in place. Although I do think there's a way to get cheaper and newer talent with scraping the bottom of the barrel.

That said, it definitely seems like they're going to be shedding some top heavy creator contracts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom