Comic Book Talk (2 Viewers)

The new Black Widow run is interesting. Hawkeye, Winter Soldier, and Yelena Bulova are part of the story. They're only at issue 4 so it isn't too late to jump in.

I'm curious about the new DC Future State stuff. I hear that the new Wonder Woman is done well. This week she's sharing a book with Superman. Is there word if she'll have her own book again? I don't care for Superman.
She's getting a new TV show on the CW.

Speaking of Future State, John Ridley is getting a digital-first books to serve as a prequel to his Next Batman story, which will look further into the issues with the Fox family and Tim's turn to pick up the mantle of Batman.

I might give the new Superman run a shot after Future State. Haven't read it since Bendis forked it all up after the great job Tomasi and Jurgens did.

(But Batman beats Superman every time.)

DC solicits are out. Some interesting stuff for sure, although it's a little Bat heavy.

Marvel and the others due out next week.

This will be a weird one
I gave a snatch of a memory from a long ago comic
I think it was avengers based but not sure
Essentially a female character meets a guy and they sleep together and she gets pregnant
The pregnancy/birth go very quickly and the resulting baby grows very rapidly and is a full grown man in a week or so (and I’m pretty sure he grows into the man who impregnated the woman)

does this sound familiar at all?
Any ideas or guesses?

This will be a weird one
I gave a snatch of a memory from a long ago comic
I think it was avengers based but not sure
Essentially a female character meets a guy and they sleep together and she gets pregnant
The pregnancy/birth go very quickly and the resulting baby grows very rapidly and is a full grown man in a week or so (and I’m pretty sure he grows into the man who impregnated the woman)

does this sound familiar at all?
Any ideas or guesses?
It starts here

And runs through 200

It starts here

And runs through 200
THATS IT!!
Giant No Prize to you
What a weird story

I still believe that might be the most legitimately insane story arc in Avengers history. Mostly because of how most of the other Avengers act like there's nothing weird about this at all and are like acting like proud aunts and uncles waiting for the arrival of Carol's baby. Then Carol has a meltdown about the fact no one seems concerned about her or how she feels about any of this and that they're all just acting celebratory about the fact she was raped and impregnated, without actually using those words of course.

I still believe that might be the most legitimately insane story arc in Avengers history. Mostly because of how most of the other Avengers act like there's nothing weird about this at all and are like acting like proud aunts and uncles waiting for the arrival of Carol's baby. Then Carol has a meltdown about the fact no one seems concerned about her or how she feels about any of this and that they're all just acting celebratory about the fact she was raped and impregnated, without actually using those words of course.
so that storyline obviously made an impact and stayed with me through the years (to be triggered by Wanda speculation)
but the funny thing is i remember exactly zero of the Red Ronan storyline

I was 9 years old and didn't care for the story at all. I'd probably like it a lot better now but that ship sailed 40+ years ago.

I remember being like that with the story of Falcon's nephew dying of AIDS in The Incredible Hulk. A story in which he dies of AIDS after begging for a Hulk blood transfusion to cure him, but Banner refuses because he doesn't want another She-Hulk incident happening.

Comics tackling real world issues gets weird, man.

I remember being like that with the story of Falcon's nephew dying of AIDS in The Incredible Hulk. A story in which he dies of AIDS after begging for a Hulk blood transfusion to cure him, but Banner refuses because he doesn't want another She-Hulk incident happening.

I remember reading that one and immediately cussed Peter David out for letting the black man die.

Well, this is hilariously stupid. Spoilers about for Avengers 42 and Thor:

"Enough. Here's what we will discover in Avengers #42. That Phoenix is not only the past love of Odin, father of Thor. But the Phoenix force is also the mother of Thor. "

For those keeping track, Thor's original mother was Frigga/Freyja. Then that was retconned into her being his stepmother, and his REAL mother was Gaea. Now that's been retconned again into the fact that his REAL mother is...The Phoenix Force. Despite the fact that Gaea being Thor's mother played a role in Empyre literally just a few months back.

First, Jason Aaron and his weird Phoenix fetish need to go away. Avengers right now is literally a tournament to see who gets to be the next Phoenix. These things are best used sparingly, and he does the opposite.

Second, while I have no problem with a good retcon in comics and certainly they need to happen at times, Marvel just throws them out like crazy these days. Editorial really needs to pump the breaks on the "Nah, what you read was horse sheet, here's the REAL story." stuff constantly being churned out.

Well, this is hilariously stupid. Spoilers about for Avengers 42 and Thor:

"Enough. Here's what we will discover in Avengers #42. That Phoenix is not only the past love of Odin, father of Thor. But the Phoenix force is also the mother of Thor. "

For those keeping track, Thor's original mother was Frigga/Freyja. Then that was retconned into her being his stepmother, and his REAL mother was Gaea. Now that's been retconned again into the fact that his REAL mother is...The Phoenix Force. Despite the fact that Gaea being Thor's mother played a role in Empyre literally just a few months back.

First, Jason Aaron and his weird Phoenix fetish need to go away. Avengers right now is literally a tournament to see who gets to be the next Phoenix. These things are best used sparingly, and he does the opposite.

Second, while I have no problem with a good retcon in comics and certainly they need to happen at times, Marvel just throws them out like crazy these days. Editorial really needs to pump the breaks on the "Nah, what you read was horse sheet, here's the REAL story." stuff constantly being churned out.

So stupid. I know stuff can be retconned at a blink of an eye, but some sheet should be just left alone. It's as dumb as Dan Slott changing canon to say Franklin Richards wasn't a mutant. It makes zero sense.

It's like they never learn, or perhaps they just don't care.

I wonder if that's the same comic I remember - Hulk picks up an AIDS infected gay man and someone asks if he's worried about getting infected to which Hulk replies something like "With my blood I'm immune"

The only reason I remember it so well is in a later issue I believe it was the 300th issue - it was a green foil cover recreating the 1st issue that had a letter to the editor that was one of the most homophobic things I had read at the time - basically the letter said how dare the Hulk save a gay man, if the Hulk has to interact with a gay person at all it should be to kill them etc.

Does anyone else remember that?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom