Comic Book Talk (3 Viewers)

I've got a binder full of those 90s Marvel trading cards in storage somewhere. I remember when I was packing to move back to NOLA and looking through them thinking they'll never be worth anything again. Maybe I should cash in while the market is hot.

Me too

Wow. Diamond just taking L's all over the place. Monopoly very much over at this point.
I'm honestly shocked that DC didn't go to Penguin when they made the move last year (almost exactly a year ago).

I've pretty much stopped buying for a couple months now. I found that I haven't been as interested in reading the stack that I have piled up and the fact that the prices keep going higher and higher doesn't help. I know there's digital and I've tried that, but still can't fully get behind it.

I've pretty much stopped buying for a couple months now. I found that I haven't been as interested in reading the stack that I have piled up and the fact that the prices keep going higher and higher doesn't help. I know there's digital and I've tried that, but still can't fully get behind it.
It's affecting our ability to check out new comics. Not just because we don't want to spend the money on something that we might not like, but because the comic shop owner won't order very much because they don't want to be stuck with expensive inventory.

Two weeks ago I asked my local lcs owner about "Nocterra" from Image Comics. He said that he only buys a couple of each title unless he gets a lot of interest. He started talking about 2nd and 3rd printings. I told him that I'm not interested in that because you're paying the same price for something that is almost guaranteed to be worthless going forward but I might be interested in subscribing through the shop if I get interested in the run.

All of the local shops are getting really tight. Captain America, for instance. If you don't subscribe, you probably won't find an issue. I have 3 local shops and you won't find a copy of a new issue. The good thing is that, if an issue, or a run gets popular it'll be worth something because very few people have it.

It's affecting our ability to check out new comics. Not just because we don't want to spend the money on something that we might not like, but because the comic shop owner won't order very much because they don't want to be stuck with expensive inventory.

Two weeks ago I asked my local lcs owner about "Nocterra" from Image Comics. He said that he only buys a couple of each title unless he gets a lot of interest. He started talking about 2nd and 3rd printings. I told him that I'm not interested in that because you're paying the same price for something that is almost guaranteed to be worthless going forward but I might be interested in subscribing through the shop if I get interested in the run.

All of the local shops are getting really tight. Captain America, for instance. If you don't subscribe, you probably won't find an issue. I have 3 local shops and you won't find a copy of a new issue. The good thing is that, if an issue, or a run gets popular it'll be worth something because very few people have it.
To be fair though, there are some 2nd and 3rd printings worth more than the 1st, mostly because of the cover.

Yeah, as much as I loathe them, variant covers do play a role here in terms of potentially boosting demand of subsequent printings.

But as to broader issues of price and stores not purchasing more stock than to cover their pull lists, I hate to say it but the industry, just from a pure economic/business model viability standpoint, is facing some extreme uncertainty in the coming decade.

This week Heroes Reborn #1 is $5.99

Marvel might end up limiting me to just the books that I collect if that becomes "normal."

They're doing limited prints of a lot of books. Last week Black Widow #6 was released. Everybody was sold out immediately. The standard cover starts at $15 (auction) on ebay with the "buy it now" option around $25. Some of the variant covers are $55 and there's one that goes for $199.

I used to skip lunch as a kid and use the money to buy comics. Kids won't be able to do that now.

This week Heroes Reborn #1 is $5.99

Marvel might end up limiting me to just the books that I collect if that becomes "normal."

They're doing limited prints of a lot of books. Last week Black Widow #6 was released. Everybody was sold out immediately. The standard cover starts at $15 (auction) on ebay with the "buy it now" option around $25. Some of the variant covers are $55 and there's one that goes for $199.

I used to skip lunch as a kid and use the money to buy comics. Kids won't be able to do that now.
Speculation on comic books is running rampant again. Batman/Fortnite #1 is $25 on eBay (but it's mostly DC's fault, as usual).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom