Coming to America 2 (2 Viewers)

And for those wondering, Harlem Nights is available on Prime Video.
Harlem Nights is awesome viewing. Great cast, great story. I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I have seen it

I remember Eddie talking about this ages ago. His response at the time was basically "No one ever tells Woody Allen to put black people in his movies"
=========================================================================================

Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall revealed during their recent visit to “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” (via Insider) that Louie Anderson was cast in “Coming to America” as McDowell’s employee Maurice because the studio mandated a white comedian appear in the 1988 comedy. According to the actors, Paramount went so far as to give them a list of three white actors to choose from. Anderson was cast because Murphy and Hall were fans of his stand-up comedy. IndieWire has reached out to Paramount for further comment.

“I love Louie, but I think we were forced to put Louie in it,” Hall said. “We were forced to put in a white person.”

Murphy added, “[The studio was] like, ‘There has to be a white person in the movie.’ I was like, ‘What?’ So who was the funniest white guy around? We knew Louie was cool, so that’s how Louie got in the movie.”...................

Eddie Murphy: Paramount Forced White Actor to Star in Coming to America | IndieWire

I remember Eddie talking about this ages ago. His response at the time was basically "No one ever tells Woody Allen to put black people in his movies"
=========================================================================================

Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall revealed during their recent visit to “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” (via Insider) that Louie Anderson was cast in “Coming to America” as McDowell’s employee Maurice because the studio mandated a white comedian appear in the 1988 comedy. According to the actors, Paramount went so far as to give them a list of three white actors to choose from. Anderson was cast because Murphy and Hall were fans of his stand-up comedy. IndieWire has reached out to Paramount for further comment.

“I love Louie, but I think we were forced to put Louie in it,” Hall said. “We were forced to put in a white person.”

Murphy added, “[The studio was] like, ‘There has to be a white person in the movie.’ I was like, ‘What?’ So who was the funniest white guy around? We knew Louie was cool, so that’s how Louie got in the movie.”...................

Eddie Murphy: Paramount Forced White Actor to Star in Coming to America | IndieWire

I was just listening to Arsenio on Howard Stern (i think they were repeating it from earlier this morning).. they talked about this exact thing, and Arsenio said ‘Howard, you can ask me about literally anything else- but i wont tell you the names of the two actors Louie beat out’... i found it a little strange.. i mean, it’s been damn near 35 years since they were casting that movie, like- who cares? Who were the other big name, fat white guys at the time? Goodman and Candy, right? Well, John Candy’s been dead for like 25 yrs or so, and i think Goodman has done quite well.... i totally get when it’s a recent thing, but to me to not want to ’reveal’ soemthing like that after so long is just odd.

I was just listening to Arsenio on Howard Stern (i think they were repeating it from earlier this morning).. they talked about this exact thing, and Arsenio said ‘Howard, you can ask me about literally anything else- but i wont tell you the names of the two actors Louie beat out’... i found it a little strange.. i mean, it’s been damn near 35 years since they were casting that movie, like- who cares? Who were the other big name, fat white guys at the time? Goodman and Candy, right? Well, John Candy’s been dead for like 25 yrs or so, and i think Goodman has done quite well.... i totally get when it’s a recent thing, but to me to not want to ’reveal’ soemthing like that after so long is just odd.

it does seem odd

why the big secret?

if candy and Goodman were the other two so what?

Maybe the other two don’t know they were on the list? That’s all I can come up with otherwise what’s the big deal?

Last edited:
I am in shock at the number of posters who haven't seen this movie. Shocked, I tell you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom