Coming to America 2 (2 Viewers)

If anyone hasn't seen it, but loves early Eddie Murphy, then it is a must watch. Its one of those movies that if I see it on, I'm gonna stop and watch it.
All star cast.

Stuff so good, if you threw it up in the air, it'll turn into sunshine...

I can't stress how good this movie is.

Louie Anderson was cast in “Coming to America” as McDowell’s employee Maurice
The McDowell's in the film is actually a Wendy's, not the very coincidentally and totally accidently similarly named restaurant.

If you look closely at the menu board, you can actually see they left all the Wendy's items on the board, like the salad bar.

Source: me, worked at Wendy's entirely too long as a teenager.

I am in shock at the number of posters who haven't seen this movie. Shocked, I tell you.

Harlem Nights is a weird case. It had a lot of hype behind it when it was released as Murphy was an established star by that point, it had the "three generations of comedians" thing going for it with Foxx, Pryor, and Murphy, and Murphy was directing. Everyone was expecting it to be massive and it ended up being a pretty mediocre performer at the box office, doing less than half the business of Coming to America and Beverly Hills Cop.

Reviews from the time tend to criticize it for being slow paced and not a joke a minute comedy like many expected from Murphy. It did find an audience in later years, but it was positioned to be a surefire hit and fell way short at the time which led to it falling through the cracks in terms of Murphy's filmography.

Harlem Nights is a weird case. It had a lot of hype behind it when it was released as Murphy was an established star by that point, it had the "three generations of comedians" thing going for it with Foxx, Pryor, and Murphy, and Murphy was directing. Everyone was expecting it to be massive and it ended up being a pretty mediocre performer at the box office, doing less than half the business of Coming to America and Beverly Hills Cop.

Reviews from the time tend to criticize it for being slow paced and not a joke a minute comedy like many expected from Murphy. It did find an audience in later years, but it was positioned to be a surefire hit and fell way short at the time which led to it falling through the cracks in terms of Murphy's filmography.

Yeah, I've seen almost all of Murphy's movies, but that's one of the few I missed. It just didn't strike me as something I'd be interested in when it came out and haven't really ever thought to watch it since. But since we've had a few here raving about it, I'm gonna make some time this weekend to check it out.

I’m watching 1, and moving to 2 right after. 1 still holds up.

As far as the rating - there are enough F bombs in here to keep it R even without the bath scene.

Yeah, I've seen almost all of Murphy's movies, but that's one of the few I missed. It just didn't strike me as something I'd be interested in when it came out and haven't really ever thought to watch it since. But since we've had a few here raving about it, I'm gonna make some time this weekend to check it out.

I saw it with my cousin in North Carolina when it came out. We were the only 2 white boys in the theater and it was packed. That made the experience even better.

Whenever Ben Watson made a big play for the Saints, I would scream, "Mr Benjamin Watson!" in a really bad Rev Brown voice(yes, I know the character's first name is actually Randy). I'd also throw in some "Sexual Chocolate" and "That boy good!"

Sadly, I had to explain the reference to a fellow Saints fan/friend that I watch games with. I lost a lot of respect for him that day.

Oh, and yeah, count me among those that don't want this sequel.
When we stuff a running back i paraphrase a quote from Boondock Saints.

"Where you goin? You're goin no where" in a bad boston accent.

My wife gets it. Various people laugh. But I still gotta explain it. Ha.

I'm gonna watch it this weekend. Any good? Funny? Meh?a

it's not bad, it's worth watching for the nostalgia.
will anyone say it's as good as the original?
I'll let Mutombo answer that.

Agreed. I’d describe it as “exactly what you’d expect”

I liked the reverse fish out of water take from the first one. I think they did a poor job in casting his son and that detracted from it. He had very poor comedic timing and that poop-eating grin wasn't charming and often was on his face at inappropriate times. They focused too much on him and he lacks the charisma of Eddie Murphy to really carry things. Frankly, I would have preferred more focus on Eddie and the daughters than him.

Honestly, the highlight of the film was Wesley Snipes for me. His character was hilarious.

Maybe I wasn’t in the right mood but I couldn’t make it 15 minutes. Watched the original again last year and it’s still great. Maybe I’ll give the sequel another try another day.

I liked the reverse fish out of water take from the first one. I think they did a poor job in casting his son and that detracted from it. He had very poor comedic timing and that poop-eating grin wasn't charming and often was on his face at inappropriate times. They focused too much on him and he lacks the charisma of Eddie Murphy to really carry things. Frankly, I would have preferred more focus on Eddie and the daughters than him.

Honestly, the highlight of the film was Wesley Snipes for me. His character was hilarious.

I agree with all of this as well. The actor they picked just wasn’t doing it for me.

I like how they still worked in the Duke brothers.
I was disappointed that Daryl didn't make an appearance (or did I miss it). Morgan Freemans funeral speech was money..
And Arsenio Hall did not age well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom