Coming up quick on Total Access, "Saints to hire Rob Ryan" (1 Viewer)

Please no Ryan. I'm on my knees.

Well, the Eagles tried to get an interview with Grantham and could not do it. They were also interested in Donatell but were likely denied permission to speak to him.

I am beginning to think Grantham may have been our man all along, and that Payton might have reached out to him even prior to the firing of Spags. I say that because I find it odd that the Eagles tried twice to interview Grantham but were unable to do so. Then we were able to get him to interview. Did Grantham know something ahead of time and make a possible interview with the Eagles seem inconvenient? I guess it is speculation on my part but I do wonder about it.

Either way, the Eagles were against the clock, not literally but just in terms of making sure they landed a coach. They interviewed Davis 10 days ago, and were waiting to speak with Grantham and Donatell. Since they could not, they had to move on or back to Davis, who is said to be a solid up and coming coach though I do not know a whole lot about him.

I was listening to sports radio here in Atlanta today and they are saying that Payton will be shocked by the coin that Grantham will request.

One would think that Payton/Loomis have discussed this w/his agent before the interview but anyway.

They said that rumor has it, a deal with R. Ryan is almost done, but R. Ryan is asking for more than we want to pay him. So Payton is bringing in Grantham to encourage Ryan to sign the contract tomorrow.

They feel confident that Grantham will ask for the same amount that the Florida DC got to go to Seattle ($1.8 per year) therefore, Payton will simply pay R. Ryan what he wants because the two numbers will be closer than Sean expects.

I find it all hard to believe because we know Payton will come out of his pocket for "his guy" but we shall see.

If Sean can control Ryan then Im all for it.

You have to realize, in the monkey show called the Dallas Cowboys, there never is any control over there.

JJ is running the show at all times, the sheep only execute the orders from the master.

I think Ryan is chomping at the bit to coach with a team that is as highly respected as the Saints.

The Org from top down is a class act, and will finally have an offense that is respected and dominate.

Personally, if Ryan can fit, and work well with others, I see this as a good move for him and team.

Just my OP though.

I was listening to sports radio here in Atlanta today and they are saying that Payton will be shocked by the coin that Grantham will request.

One would think that Payton/Loomis have discussed this w/his agent before the interview but anyway.

They said that rumor has it, a deal with R. Ryan is almost done, but R. Ryan is asking for more than we want to pay him. So Payton is bringing in Grantham to encourage Ryan to sign the contract tomorrow.

They feel confident that Grantham will ask for the same amount that the Florida DC got to go to Seattle ($1.8 per year) therefore, Payton will simply pay R. Ryan what he wants because the two numbers will be closer than Sean expects.

I find it all hard to believe because we know Payton will come out of his pocket for "his guy" but we shall see.

That would be about a $1 million a year raise or more for Grantham. Highly doubt he could command that much.

I already don't like the circus atmosphere for a DC who gets more sideline airtime than all other DCs put together.

That would be about a $1 million a year raise or more for Grantham. Highly doubt he could command that much.

Dan Quinn went from making 510,000 at Florida to 1.9 million for the Seahawks.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi.../02/florida-assistant-salaries-charlie-weis/1
Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn was given a two-year salary that pays him $490,000 in 2011 and $510,000 in 2012. He also gets $10,000 each year from the Nike apparel contract, making his package over two years worth over $1 million.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...worth-57-million-three-years-according-source
The deal will pay Quinn approximately $1.9 million per season, slightly less than the $2 million annual salary that Ray Horton will make as the Cleveland Browns' defensive coordinator.

And yes I think it's crazy.

It sounds like a lot but that is what they are saying it will take. FYI: The Florida coach got 3X his annual salary to go to Seattle so it is not unheard of.

Florida: $510k per season
Seattle $1.9M per season

The host of the show I was listening to is a previous UGA QB and supposed to be pretty plugged in to all matters UGA. He feels pretty confident that Grantham loves being DC at UGA and will only leave if Sean puts a REALLY impressive offer on the table. Most persons here in Atlanta seem to think he will be back.

I already don't like the circus atmosphere for a DC who gets more sideline airtime than all other DCs put together.

true, but they may be more media circus Cowboy craziness than anything else. Other than Ryan's wild hair occasionally, I never saw him on the sidelines of Oakland or Cleveland. In Dallas, the camera is on him constantly.

true, but they may be more media circus Cowboy craziness than anything else. Other than Ryan's wild hair occasionally, I never saw him on the sidelines of Oakland or Cleveland. In Dallas, the camera is on him constantly.

I was also wondering if he got as much air time in Cleveland as at Dallas. Like others have said, Dallas is a different animal and should not be considered your typical NFL organization. Jones runs it and everyone knows it, including the players. It's well known that if a player has an issue, they don't go to the head coach, they go to Jerry. And that's no slight to Garrett because it was the same way with Dave Campo, Wade Phillips and Barry Switzer. Parcells had more control until Jerry forced, "the player" on him.

I was also wondering if he got as much air time in Cleveland as at Dallas. Like others have said, Dallas is a different animal and should not be considered your typical NFL organization. Jones runs it and everyone knows it, including the players. It's well known that if a player has an issue, they don't go to the head coach, they go to Jerry. And that's no slight to Garrett because it was the same way with Dave Campo, Wade Phillips and Barry Switzer. Parcells had more control until Jerry forced, "the player" on him.

You both make good points. I do remember some sideline attention at Cleveland but not nearly as much as Dallas. So the fact that it's Dallas plus the fallout from his brother's circus. It's not Rob's creation but the fact is, it does exist. But if SP decides he's the right guy for the job, then that's good enough for me and I won't dwell on the sideline stuff.

I want Ryan, and I want it to work out great. He's been overhyped since he was in Dallas the past two years, but he was considered a very good DC before that. I think he'll be able to do great things without having to overhaul the defensive personnel.

Frankly, I want Cowboys fans to be ****** when he does well here. Sean Payton and Rob Ryan right out from under their nose. Loomis > JJ

I, for one, will just wait for the announcement. Everything til then is pure speculation. I don't mind if the Saints hire Ryan, but I almost wish they wouldn't just to make ESPN and those latching onto the story because of ESPN's reports look like the bunch of fools they are.

I want Ryan, and I want it to work out great. He's been overhyped since he was in Dallas the past two years, but he was considered a very good DC before that. I think he'll be able to do great things without having to overhaul the defensive personnel.

Frankly, I want Cowboys fans to be ****** when he does well here. Sean Payton and Rob Ryan right out from under their nose. Loomis > JJ

yes, I agree. His train wreck of a brother has also added to Rob being in the limelight. Before Rex was a head coach, we never heard much about Rob other than that he was a solid DC on bad teams.

I, for one, will just wait for the announcement. Everything til then is pure speculation. I don't mind if the Saints hire Ryan, but I almost wish they wouldn't just to make ESPN and those latching onto the story because of ESPN's reports look like the bunch of fools they are.

If I was Sean Payton I would tell Adam Schefter that they were going to hire Ryan just to watch him leake it and then hire someone else

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom