Commanche Moon (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I haven't watched a western or mini-series in a long time, so I thought I might give this a try.

Larry McMurtry must have gotten a hold of some bad mushrooms from Kinky because this is the worst piece of television drivel I have seen in a long time. I couldn't even finish watching the first hour of this three night mini-series because it did not redeem itself after the first commercial break much less the second one. No wonder Cowboys don't win on Sundays.

Too funny. My wife said man there must be a shortage of Indians in Hollywood as it looks like they imported the same Indians from The Last of The Mohicans.

This is the first movie I've ever seen (part of anyway) that had Adam Beach in it that I didn't like. The dialog was bad, and the music was sappy from the opening frame.

Ack!

I thought it was just me. I loved the original Lonesome Dove mini-series. There was real chemistry there among the actors and between the actors and the script.

Comanche Moon suffered from younger, less experienced actors being placed in situations that made them seen clownish rather than endearing...like when Gus (Steve Zahn) got on his horse backwards last night.

The idle prattle between the Rangers last night was like a bad parody of stupid redneck jokes, rather than a band of hard-riding, hard charging tamers of the wild West.

I'm sorry, you say "Gus" and "Lonesome Dove" and I'll forever see Robert Duvall. That's just the way it should be.

Gus McCrae = Sam Elliott

Traditionalists of the miniseries swear by Duvall, but that's just because Elliott had a terrible agent (look up what he did instead in 1989).

Miniseries are something middle-aged women watch, so i elected to read the book instead. i'm very glad i don't think of Gus and see Robert Duvall.

i had the television on last night, and i could see Steve Zahn - who i normally love to watch. But in this case, i found the work i had brought home for the weekend more compelling.

i don't remember anything about last evening's performance except a bunch of subtitled scenes, Val-Kilmer-Were-We-Really-Expected-To-Believe-That-Guy-As-Batman swinging in a cage and howling like a fool, and that awful way the Clara character called Gus "Gussie". like he was a cow.

i'll be hard-pressed to watch the continuation and conclusion, but i know i will, because Man-of-my-Plans is a bigger McMurtry fan than i. and he's gonna wanna talk about it, even if it is critical.

Bleu, you wanna see a good Western, you should check out "The Proposition".

Traditionalists of the miniseries swear by Duvall, but that's just because Elliott had a terrible agent (look up what he did instead in 1989).

You can bust his chops for "Prancer" but you gotta give Sam some props for his work in "Road House"

I see it a little different. It may be because I record it and zoom through all the commercials. They seem to have a LOT of sponsors for this little mini-series. But I think Steve Zahn has done a fair job of capturing Robert Duvall's mannerisims. Yea it is a stretch and I knew going in that there was no way they could capture that old magic, but its alright, I guess. Listening to Walton and Johnson they seem to feel the same way.

I am hoping this first night is just warming us up and it gets better.

Gus McCrae = Sam Elliott

I understand liking Sam Elliott's work. When he's on the screen, I pay more attention because he does nothing but quality work.

It was short and sweet, but in his role as General Buford in "Gettysburg" he did an admirable job of portraying the wisdom and gutsy determination of a man who knew he was far outnumbered but who also knew he absolutely had to stand his ground or all was lost.

I see it a little different. It may be because I record it and zoom through all the commercials. They seem to have a LOT of sponsors for this little mini-series. But I think Steve Zahn has done a fair job of capturing Robert Duvall's mannerisims. Yea it is a stretch and I knew going in that there was no way they could capture that old magic, but its alright, I guess. Listening to Walton and Johnson they seem to feel the same way.

I am hoping this first night is just warming us up and it gets better.

That's kind of my issue with Zahn in this role though. He's not supposed to capture Robert Duvall. He's supposed to capture Augustus McCrae.

That's kind of my issue with Zahn in this role though. He's not supposed to capture Robert Duvall. He's supposed to capture Augustus McCrae.

This is true. In my mind, they are one in the same, when it comes to these western roles. He played another similar role in a movie with Kevin Costner. I can not remember the name of the movie, right now, but I liked it a lot too. He, Robert Duvall, played another character in that movie, (other than Lonesome Dove's, Gus), but he came accross the same way, with the same mannerisims and style.

I didn't mind it and had less of a hard time watching it than I did dead man's walk and rturn to LD......where have we seen ms Skull before se looks familiar.......

I didn't mind it and had less of a hard time watching it than I did dead man's walk and rturn to LD......where have we seen ms Skull before se looks familiar.......

I believe she was a main character on one of those premium channel shows. The one about the Morticians, I believe, (I forget what it was called).

Inez Scull was played by Rachel Griffiths. She was in "Six Feet Under" on HBO.

IMO, in "Commanche Moon," she had the worst southern accent I've ever heard.
I am actually embarrassed for her and for Val Kilmer for being in that series.

Although CBS is run by idiots if they don't air the "Lonesome Dove" series on its heels, particularly if the writers strike continues.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom