Commentaries on power rankings about the D. (1 Viewer)

IntenseSaint

Powhatan Power
Reaction score
After reading through about 5 power rankings I am seeing a trend here. They are all saying our D is suspect, iffy, lacking, or whatever word you want to insert here.

It's like none of these writers actually watched the games. They only look at total yards. No mention of the interceptions/turnovers. When a team is trying to play catch up from a 20 point deficit they are going to be airing it out.

baltimore gave up 500 yards on sunday:shrug:
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009092013/2009/REG2/ravens@chargers#tab:analyze

and more points total in two games but no one is goint to toss around "suspect and iffy for them."

the ravens D stepped up when it mattered despite surrendering all of those yards. wins are hard to come by in the NFL.

the pats won 3 super bowls by an average of 3 points. you cant hold every team to less than 20 like the steelers. just give me the win.

The Saints have the 5th ranked run defense and the 28th ranked pass defense.

Now if you read this board you will hear that our DBs are awesome and our DL needs to be completely replaced.

The national media's opinion and even this boards opinions on this defense are all spectulation at this point. As the season plays out the defense will be judged fairly.

The Saints have the 5th ranked run defense and the 28th ranked pass defense.

Now if you read this board you will here that our DBs are awesome and our DL needs to be completely replaced.

The national media's opinion and even this boards opinions on this defense are all spectulation at this point. As the season plays out the defense will be judged fairly.
:plus-un2::plus-un2:

After reading through about 5 power rankings I am seeing a trend here. They are all saying our D is suspect, iffy, lacking, or whatever word you want to insert here.

It's like none of these writers actually watched the games. They only look at total yards. No mention of the interceptions/turnovers. When a team is trying to play catch up from a 20 point deficit they are going to be airing it out.

The problem I am seeing is that our D is still allowing too many points. Regardless of how many turnovers we have, we are still allowing just as many points as last year. If we can't minimize the opponent scoring, we may have an issue down the road.

The problem I am seeing is that our D is still allowing too many points. Regardless of how many turnovers we have, we are still allowing just as many points as last year. If we can't minimize the opponent scoring, we may have an issue down the road.

Team Average = 24.5 ppg
Offense surrended 9 points or 4.5 ppg (a TD agnst Det and a STY agnst Philly)
Short fields: Det: 10 pts; Philly: 7 pts (took til 4th down) Total 17 points or 8.5 ppg.
24.5-4.5-8.5=

11.5 points per game.
Not too shabby.

Well truth of the matter is, our D hasn't REALLY been tested...rewatching the Eagles game right now, and there were some times that I think the game may have gone a little differenty with a healthy McNabb...and all the media has to go on are these two performances and last year...I do feel that we will get some barometer reading from this week's game as Buffalo has a veteran QB and two legit WR's in Evans and Owens, as well as a pretty good RB in Jackson....then we go on to face another rookie in Sanchez...

If we are 4-0 going into the bye and the Def is still producing turnovers, they won't be able to keep saying "yeah but" and then if we go and beat the Giants, there will be no question how FOR REAL this team is...

I don't think the criticisms are that unwarranted, but all I really care about is the W-L column and so far we are doing great!!!

If you look at it, and I know you all know this, we are going ahead quickly and then playing more or a prevent or 3 deep defense, of course we're going to give up those passing yards. Teams are passing and we're allowing short-medium gains -- aside from the two big plays in each game.

What I've liked is that our defense has been pretty good in the redzone. Philly got one big play for a TD and one TD on a short field. Other than that we held them to two field goals. Sounds good to me, if we're up 31-13, who cares. I think the D will really shine when they're put in a tight game. Plus we're forcing turnovers. Picks were against two first time starters I know, but there has been good play all around.

Though, it's only been 2 weeks, so who really knows anything.

Simple measurement: how many plays of over 25 yards have the defense given up? This was a huge problem the past two seasons. The Saints gave at least two huge ones so far, and maybe a couple more in about the 25 yard range.

Yeah from the previous poster, the D has really only given up 10 to Detroit and 13 to Philly, for an average of 11.5

The special teams have got to get much better. It will kill us against someone like the Giants, Pats, Falcons.

Also, the turnovers created Sunday broke the game wide open. So credit to the defense for that. We never saw that in the 3 years under Gibbs.

Giving up 250 yards to Kolb by haltime was unacceptable. We have to get better on pass defense.

well there is only one way to stop this talk...

Well truth of the matter is, our D hasn't REALLY been tested...rewatching the Eagles game right now, and there were some times that I think the game may have gone a little differenty with a healthy McNabb...and all the media has to go on are these two performances and last year...I do feel that we will get some barometer reading from this week's game as Buffalo has a veteran QB and two legit WR's in Evans and Owens, as well as a pretty good RB in Jackson....then we go on to face another rookie in Sanchez...

If we are 4-0 going into the bye and the Def is still producing turnovers, they won't be able to keep saying "yeah but" and then if we go and beat the Giants, there will be no question how FOR REAL this team is...

I don't think the criticisms are that unwarranted, but all I really care about is the W-L column and so far we are doing great!!!

i can't wait either. hopefully we can continue to win the turnover battle and let the other team make the costly mistakes to give our D a hand. our special teams was better than against DET but can really improve.

we need either lance or bell to play this game to really put my mind at ease though because i really believe that 30pts should be enough to defeat the bills.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom