Communter Rail between NOLA and Baton Rouge (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Commuter Rail between NOLA and Baton Rouge

State floats train plan

$60 million line would link BR with Big Easy

By WILL SENTELL
Advocate Capitol News Bureau
Published: Nov 1, 2006

Passenger railroad service between Baton Rouge and New Orleans would resume for the first time in roughly 40 years under an ambitious, $60 million proposal unveiled Tuesday by the state transportation department.

The plan, which faces huge financial and other hurdles, is aimed primarily at helping New Orleans area residents who have been forced into daily commutes since Hurricane Katrina.

But the long-shot effort would also be designed to lure other riders as well.

“It captures people’s imagination to be able to ride a train to New Orleans,” said Mark Lambert, spokesman for the state Department of Transportation and Development.

“We think a lot of people who would not ride a bus would ride a train,” Lambert said.

Backers envision improving a freight rail line used and owned by Kansas City Southern from Baton Rouge to New Orleans.

They say there would be stops at the Mall of Louisiana; near Gonzales; LaPlace; Kenner near New Orleans International Airport and the Amtrak train station, near the Superdome.

Read more here:
http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/4536416.html?showAll=y&c=y

Last edited:
i would ride it to the saints games from my house near the mall of louisiana. then again, the train security might give me a hard time like the dome security does.

Love the idea, but $60 million seems dirt cheap compared to the $185 mill it took to improve the Dome and other things, like bridges, that you always hear about running $50-100 mill.... W/E I like it..........

I'd ride it. Sometimes I just dont feel like driving especially now that there are more cars on I10. It'll cost about the same as a tank of gas so I can get toasted on Bourbon St. without worrying about driving home.

I think it is a great idea if and only if they go ahead with the airport that has been discussed between BR and NO. If the do the airport then the train would be excellent and would more than pay for itself. Would you drive your car to the airport and spend the gas money, wear and tear, parking and walking from the parking to the gate or ride the train? They could have a train that leaves every 15 minutes going each way and then have one direct line that runs from NO to BR and back twice daily.

I like trains, but, by the time its done, they will end up operating them at a loss for just a few people. The long term goal isn't for the city of New Orleans to be a place for people to commute from 80 miles away each day because there is no housing. That was a short term fix. The plan is to rebuild and repopulate so people don't drive in from 80 miles each day. As the housing develops, and people return, the need for that train gets less and less. There might be some who use it for other reasons, but not enough to support it. By the time they ever get the train operating, it would be too late to serve its purpose. Maybe, it would have been good if they started on it a year ago, but like everything, the government's response is so slow that their eventual action is of no value.

things of concern:

1) security, especially if it is used late at night, such as getting home from saints games or bourbon st.

2) effects on the neighborhoods the tracks/stations are located

I would ride it to New Orleans on visits, for Saints games etc.. for 11.00 or 12.00.
If it made it near Norco Refinery I would take it there as well but absolutely not for 11-12 a day. It would be cheaper to drive.
I see the uses but I also the pitfalls that Jim mentioned too.
Bclemm's is right, they build that Airport and it would work very well.
I know there is some sort of wierd attitude between N.O. and B.R. but the two cities are not that far apart and should work together to build a better economy for both.

..........absolutely not for 11-12 a day. QUOTE]

You mean $22-$24 a day. That $11-$12 is one way only. That is an outrageous $480 a month (sometimes more) based on a 20 day work month. I am going to agree with jimwnola, waste of money. Most people will not pay that kind of money. Some will, but it won't be enough to cover the operating expenses.

..........absolutely not for 11-12 a day. QUOTE]

You mean $22-$24 a day. That $11-$12 is one way only. That is an outrageous $480 a month (sometimes more) based on a 20 day work month. I am going to agree with jimwnola, waste of money. Most people will not pay that kind of money. Some will, but it won't be enough to cover the operating expenses.

Ouch you are right-I can't see why they would need to charge that much.
I think that alone would kill it.

It's not New Orleans and Baton Rouge that are the issue; it's the area in between. Southeast Louisiana ought to be doing a lot of its growth along the river anyway. Eventually, you can put an airport in between, and in about 20 years, even if the rail runs at a (tolerable) loss, you've put in the backbone of a 70-mile metroplex between Baton Rouge and New Orleans as BR grows southward and New Orleans grows up river.

I read that article yesterday in the paper. the main thing that screamed failure to me is the trains would be provided by Amtrak.

I remember hearing ideas for this before we moved back down here. I loved the idea of being able to go out in N.O. and take a train home to BR. But at $45 for two round trip and at least 3 stops along the way, it doesn't seem at all attractive. I just don't see how this thing could come anywhere close to even breaking even.

I read that article yesterday in the paper. the main thing that screamed failure to me is the trains would be provided by Amtrak.

I remember hearing ideas for this before we moved back down here. I loved the idea of being able to go out in N.O. and take a train home to BR. But at $45 for two round trip and at least 3 stops along the way, it doesn't seem at all attractive. I just don't see how this thing could come anywhere close to even breaking even.

I was hoping it would be run by the city as public transportation.
Can't you get some kind of government money for public transportion
Like Doobsdemons said, send it to Tiger Stadium and even though I live in St.Amant I would take it to Tiger stadium.
I still think it is a good idea, would just take some smart people to implement.
I vote for Blanco!!!! Hahahhaa

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom