Commuting (1 Viewer)

I think this is common knowledge, but just in case...(this goes for everyone)... DON'T DRIVE WITH YOUR WALLET IN YOUR BACK POCKET. It may not hurt that much at first, but the pain is cumulative.

Similar to podcasts, I often download stand-up comedy specials from Netflix. They have a ton. You can listen to them without watching the screen and keep your eyes on the road. And many comedians are funny enough to pass the time on the road, but not good enough to waste your free time at home for.

Ask him about hand-held personal massage devices. He'll talk your ear off.

Handheld, machine mounted, shower friendly, waterproof, corded and cordless, body-safe materials... aint just about hand held these days

Might as well make this #10 on my list above.

DMs are open if anyone needs an ear talked off...

You should probably check out pints with Aquinas podcast. Get a good water bottle for drinking and peeing. (Not kidding). Keep some nuts or granola bars around for emergency. Avoid developing a candy habit out of boredom. Check your tire pressure regularly and make sure your spare is in good shape.

a friend of mine who took cross country trips for a summer got into a really bad Corn Nuts habit. After a few months, it took its toll. Seriously, don't boredom snack on junk.

Keep a spare set of clothes, seasonally appropriate.

Handheld, machine mounted, shower friendly, waterproof, corded and cordless, body-safe materials... aint just about hand held these days

Might as well make this #10 on my list above.

DMs are open if anyone needs an ear talked off...

Apologies for my under-inclusive description.

You didn't mention, or I missed it, are you driving or riding mass transit?

I did the mass transit (bus and train) for a commute that took 1.5 -2 hours each way. I had a little 10" tablet for web surfing and getting some work (e-mails) done. Had my laptop and wi-fi if I had to dig into a problem. I usually had music going from my phone. Tried the audio books, but couldn't get into it.

Get a good water bottle and keep some snacks handy.
man, i WISH i was talking about a train commute. i would love that (not sure about 2 hours though - yikes!)

man, i WISH i was talking about a train commute. i would love that (not sure about 2 hours though - yikes!)

When I was living in an apartment near the train station and took the train and subway into work each day, it was so nice. I got a ton of work done. I really do miss it.

good stuff
i used to make my own trail mix for long trips, i might get back into that again

Seriously, 45 minutes each way is not that bad. I mean if you get in bad traffic that is stop and go it is terrible, but if you aren't facing huge traffic and just cruising on a long bridge or Interstate, it's actually kind of relaxing and gives you time to think about the world.

It's kind of a waste of your time, but barring traffic and road rage (which I developed a bad case of while commuting) it's not that horribly bad.

Seriously, 45 minutes each way is not that bad. I mean if you get in bad traffic that is stop and go it is terrible, but if you aren't facing huge traffic and just cruising on a long bridge or Interstate, it's actually kind of relaxing and gives you time to think about the world.

there can be something very meditative about it. There were a lot of mornings when I'd put on the Peaceful Piano playlist and be mindful, meditative, contemplative

Part of it is realizing that you're going to be in this car for a bit and there's nothing you can do.

A four hour commute in a blizzard was as miserable as its gotten, so I also try to remember on normal, routine days it's really not that bad.

One of the things I will hear from people who live in the city who marvel at me: "I can't believe you make that drive every day - that commute sounds miserable."

Meanwhile, they are in downtown traffic, with a light at every block, for 30-35 minutes. But somehow my 10 extra minutes is beyond.

When I was living in an apartment near the train station and took the train and subway into work each day, it was so nice. I got a ton of work done. I really do miss it.

I've always wished that New Orleans had a better train/street car system. Maybe one day.
there can be something very meditative about it. There were a lot of mornings when I'd put on the Peaceful Piano playlist and be mindful, meditative, contemplative

Part of it is realizing that you're going to be in this car for a bit and there's nothing you can do.

A four hour commute in a blizzard was as miserable as its gotten, so I also try to remember on normal, routine days it's really not that bad.

One of the things I will hear from people who live in the city who marvel at me: "I can't believe you make that drive every day - that commute sounds miserable."

Meanwhile, they are in downtown traffic, with a light at every block, for 30-35 minutes. But somehow my 10 extra minutes is beyond.

To me, stop and go Interstate traffic is the worst. Especially when it's all being done at 40 to 50 miles per hour with people doding in and out of lanes, slamming on their brakes, and cutting people off. Sometimes it's like the wild west and all it takes is for one person to brake too late when they get cut off and traffic stops for 30 minutes. It's just stressful and brings out aggression in everyone. Light to light city traffic is no fun either but I'll take it over that.

So, to me, it's not so much about the time on the road as it is about the traffic levels when you are on the road. I used to drive to Baton Rouge and Mandeville a lot for work but I would generally travel against traffic and at times that did not have a lot of traffic. The ride on the Causeway and I-10 between LaPlace and Gonzales can be a pretty good time to relax and just think when the traffic is light.

It's kind of a waste of your time, but barring traffic and road rage (which I developed a bad case of while commuting) it's not that horribly bad.
7/10 ths is causeway so yeah, not that bad (and again going opposite normal rush hour flow)
but as i mentioned i've hardly ever had a commute - especially not a driving one, so i'm sure it will be a period of adjustment

a friend of mine who took cross country trips for a summer got into a really bad Corn Nuts habit. After a few months, it took its toll. Seriously, don't boredom snack on junk.

Keep a spare set of clothes, seasonally appropriate.

Yes. A spare shirt for the inevitable coffee disaster. I still remember the great spill of 2012. I got into red hots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom