Compare the 2009 and 2022 Saints Rosters (1 Viewer)

Holy mackerel I had no clue that Adrian Arrington was actually part of that team lol.

I really think Jameis is going to do well. But obviously that’s the biggest edge to ‘09: Prime Brees over an injured/unknown Jameis.

Weapons seem to be a wash, mostly bc of the huge gap at TE.

Edge to 2009 OL by a decent margin.

Huge edge to 2022 at pretty much every level of defense.

Should be fun.
RB and OL are the big advantages to 2009 other than the obvious at QB. But 2022 shows some distinct advantages especially at WR

At the risk of being the master of the obvious the key will be Jameis. If he can be above average to very good this roster can win big

You can argue talent by position group but you cannot deny the superior continuity of the 09 team. Also there wasnt a single rookie that was being relied upon to start. The 09 WR skill group was 3 seasons in development.
09 defense was the same with only Porter and Ellis as year two players.

Just the G advantage alone make 09 the better team on paper IMO....

I would also say Latt over Greer is a razor thin margin. Greer was quietly one of the very best CB's in the NFL, very underrated.....

RB and OL are the big advantages to 2009 other than the obvious at QB. But 2022 shows some distinct advantages especially at WR

At the risk of being the master of the obvious the key will be Jameis. If he can be above average to very good this roster can win big
Disagree on RB unless you are factoring in Kamara being suspended for critical games. He’s special.

Now compare them by height!

Just kidding. (I've seen Caddy Shack too many times) I'm hoping this turns into a REAL thing by next year!

Excellent n creative thread! 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

On a side note: Don’t forget about the impact Greg Williams made in his first season as DC on dat 09 team! He got his guys to play more physical n aggressive, esp wit his blitzing!!! Dat D probably had the most takeaways and TDs in team history!!!

There's no comparison. The 2009 team was markedly superior.

On offense, the 2009 team was better at every position group--and the gap at quarterback and tight end is huge. Regarding the running-back position, Thomas, Bush and Bell combined for 2,486 yards, including 1,837 yards rushing and 649 yards on 90 pass receptions. And Thomas averaged 5.4 yards per rush and Reggie 5.6 yards per rush.

On defense, the 2022 team is certainly better in the defensive line; the linebackers are a push; and the defensive backs are arguably a push, though I think the 2009 grouping was a tad better.

And finally the 2009 team had Sean Payton as head coach rather than Dennis Allen.

Folks, I do think that the 2022 team will be better than the current projections in Las Vegas. But there are reasons our win-loss number in a 17-game season is in the 8 or 8.5 range. Before the 2009 season, serious people were seriously optimistic that we could be a Super Bowl team.

Last edited:
That 2009 team had the best quarterback in football with arguably the best interior line in football.

crazy how so many of 09 are way better. i would take deverey in the super bowl season over Olave any day, and say as Lance Moore over Landry. I'd take Colston over Mike Thomas until Thomas wins a SB. Also, Will Smith in his prime is better than Cam Jordan in his prime. But Cam has longevitiy over Will.
Devery Henderson over a rookie we haven't seen play. Fair enough. Lance Moore over Jarvis Landry. Okay. Colston over Mike Thomas. Idk but okay. But Will Smith in his prime over Cam Jordan in his prime? I'm curious what you base that on? Smith was named a Pro Bowler once. Cam has been named to 7 Pro Bowls, 1 First Team All Pro, 2 Second Team All Pro, and the 2010s All Decade Team. Smith had two seasons with double digit Sacks. Cam has 6.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom