Comparing The 2 "Power Houses" of the NFC (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Penalties Per Game
Falcons 1st
Saints 4th

Opponents Penalties Per Game
Falcons 9th(apparently teams are more error prone against them)
Saints 27th(teams are less error prone against us)

Redzone Scoring Percentage
Falcons 10th 56%
Saints 25th 45%

3rd Down Conversion %
Saints 1st 49.66%
Falcons 2nd 47.65

Points Per Play
Atlanta 12th
Saints 14th

Touchdowns Per Game
Saints 9th
Falcons 13th

on to Defensive Comparisons

1st Downs Allowed
Saints 7th
Falcons 11th

Opponents 3rd Down %
Falcons 28th( they allow opponents to convert 43% of the time)
Saints 14th(We allow opponents to convert 37% of the time)

Opponents 4th Down %
Falcons 23rd (they allow opponents to convert 55% of the time)
Saints 24th(we allow opponents to convert 56% of the time)

Opponent Yards Per Play
Saints 14th
Falcons 29th

Turnover Margin Per Game
Saints 19th
Falcons 2nd

I know this is A Lot of info
but looking at it all
We are pretty close in Points per Play and Touchdowns per Game and the Penalties per game
but they have a huge advantage in number of penalties called on the opposition and Red Zone Scoring %
On Defense we are Vastly superior in all aspects except for 4th down conversions allowed we are pretty much even there

All this Data Favors US in the Long Term(not them)

I think the red zone scoring % is a lot thanks to Turner. He doesn't have much big plays anymore but the guy can get the tough yards.

the penalities, some of it is luck some of it is the better pass rushing Dline.

What is the turnover margin and offensive 3rd down efficiency? Those are the 2 most important in terms of wins and losses.

What is the turnover margin and offensive 3rd down efficiency? Those are the 2 most important in terms of wins and losses.
sorry I added those
We are 19th overall per game turnover margin
Atlanta is 2nd,
we are 1st in 3rd down offense
Atlanta is 2nd

Also Mike Smith goes for it a lot on 4th down and the Clowns have been very successful. Unfortunately that's a probably a good coaching move and its allowed them to keep drives alive.

I think it is good coaching to for it on 4th
I don't feel you punt unless your on your side of the field once your past the fifty go for it

I don't feel you punt unless your on your side of the field once your past the fifty go for it

the positives vastly outweigh the negative but losing field position could end up costing a team points

im all for going for it on 4th down if you are confident in your ability to move the ball.....however, im a "take the points" kinda guy and if you can kick a field goal or plant a team deep into their own end of the field then im all for kicking it

Opponents Penalties Per Game

This does not surprise me... The Ravens game alone proved this for sure when the last drive was gift wrapped and served on a silver platter.

ATL 1st in time of possession 33:24
Saints 5th in time of possession 32:27
ATL 2nd in first downs per game 22.8
Saints 4th in first downs per game 22.4
ATL 11th in first downs allowed 18.4 per game.
Saints 7th in first downs allowed 17.2 per game.
So Saints are better in the difference between 1st downs made and 1st downs given up on Defense.
AtL has made 43 "big plays" this season. Those over 20 yards
Saints have made 45 "big plays this season.
ATL has given up 41 big plays on D.
Saints have given up 40 big plays on D.
So ATL has made 2 more big plays than they have given up
Saints have made 5 more big plays than they have given up.
ATL +11 on turnovers.
Saints -3 on turn overs.
Saints have a +68 point differential between points scored and scored against.
ATL has a +67 point differential between points scored and scored against.
Considering the fact that ATL has one more win their points differential should be higher not lower.

So if Saints can win the turn over battle they should win the game.

Saints 27th(teams are less error prone against us)

This is KEY and pretty much determines the outcomes of Atlanta vs. games. This will also be the key factor with us. They don't draw offsides or false starts. They've become somewhat masterful at foul play and as a result, their opponents often get fired up and try to reciprocate ultimately leading to legitimate penalties on said opponents. I'm seeing it as I've been watching ATL games lately. It's criminal what they are getting away with.

I agree with the general principle of going for it on 4th down once you cross the fifty, but I'd have to qualify it. If, say, you're on the other team's 49 and you have 4th and 10, I'd punt. But if you're on their 49 with 4th and 1, I'd go for it. Or if you're on their 40 and it's 4th and 5, I'd probably go for it, but probably not if it was, say, 4th and 8. The percentages definitely go down in terms of succeeding once the distance goes past 5 yards. So down-and-distance should be factored into the decision.

Give credit where credit is due, Mike Smith has the Falcon's playing mistake free football. That's good coaching, too bad he's an ***-face.

If the Falcons had been getting called for their fouls equal to the average team, they'd have at least 2 more losses. They get away with so much garbage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom