Compensation for Faine? (1 Viewer)

I wish they would do away with compensatory draft picks. Seems like the same teams benefit from them every year. I know the philsophy behind them to compensate for losing free agents. Problem is that it has just become another edge for certain teams.

I wish they would do away with compensatory draft picks. Seems like the same teams benefit from them every year. I know the philsophy behind them to compensate for losing free agents. Problem is that it has just become another edge for certain teams.

I would actually like to know how many great, impact players were obtained from compensatory picks?

I don't know if we will get any then, Brian Simmons contract and Jason David's + whoever else we signed's contracts may add up to more than Faine's contract with the Bucs.

Brian Simmons and Jason David have no bearing on compensation for Faine. Brian Simmons and Jason David do have a bearing on compensatory picks for this draft. Faine affects next year in which case he would be weighed against Randall Gay, Bobby McCray and Dan Morgan. In this case, I don't see us getting compensation next year.

Did we lose any free agents last season? Joe Horn???? I don't see any compensation heading our way for that.

Did we lose any free agents last season? Joe Horn???? I don't see any compensation heading our way for that.

we picked up Brian Simmons, KK, EJ, Patten....
I remember hyping up those free agents too last year. No hyping this year.

and lost Joe so no I don't think we will be getting compensated this year or next year.

I would actually like to know how many great, impact players were obtained from compensatory picks?

Plenty. I mean, it's just a normal draft pick. Hit or miss like any other pick. :shrug:
But with compensatory picks, they have drafted Taylor, fullback Ovie Mughelli, offensive tackle Tony Pashos and guard Edwin Mulitalo, among others.

The Patriots also have hit the compensatory jackpot by using bonus picks to take quarterback Tom Brady, guard Nick Kaczur and fullback Patrick Pass.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/17486531/site/21683474/page/2/

That's just two teams and about 5-6 good players, and a great player here and there. It's also two teams that draft incredibly well. Coincidence? I think not. Since these teams draft well, they are able to let more vets walk in free agency, and thus receive more compensatory picks...lather, rinse, repeat.

Originally it was conceived of to help teams who didn't have the money to participate as fully in Free Agency as other teams. Two things happened though

1) The economic footing in the NFL is extremely even. No team is seriously disadvantaged except by owner choice.

2) Teams got really good at retaining players.

As a result, instead of going to poor, small market teams that can't afford any of the stellar players in FA, it's instead ended up going to winning teams that are up against the cap. Teams like Baltimore and Philly regularly let veterans walk and rarely make big splashes in Free Agency (Philly's spree this year and when they signed Kearse and Owens being the notable exceptions) also regularly get the advantages of comp picks.

It's the mark of a "mature" roster. And by that I mean, the mark of a team that drafts well over a 5-6 year period. Because you can never resign them all, but in the process of resigning most, you kill your cap space. Eventually you have to start letting good players walk and replacing them with draft picks.

The Saints aren't there yet (obviously), but we are getting there. We have no one from pre 2000 on this roster. We don't really have anyone from pre-2002 honestly except for a handful like Deuce. So our good players are just now starting to cycle out of their rookie deals and into their 2nd contracts (Will Smith, Colston, Jammal Brown, Evans, etc). Eventually, over the next few years, it'll get to the point where we can't continue to sign each and every decent player we have. We'll have to start making choices and letting some go.

And those players will go sign fat contracts and we'll stay away from FA instead focusing on stockpiling cheap draft picks and resigning our own, and voila. You're the New England Patriots and get comp. picks every year.

At least that's the idea. We could also end up firing Loomis and Payton in the next year or two and end up doing yet another clean sweep of the roster :covri:

Our compensation for Faine is that we get to face him twice a year and if you're like me, you think that Goodwin was better than him last year, you think that the yucs overpaid for him and you think that Sedrick Ellis, Charles Grant, Brian Young and Will Smith will love facing him and Sacking whoever the yucs play at QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom