Compensatory Picks (1 Viewer)

Gideon

Reaction score
Can anyone explain how compensatory picks work?

I know it has something to do with allowing FA's to leave who are signed by other teams...but can anyone explain further?

Reason I ask is, say we allow guys like Devery and one of Nesbitt, Goodwin or Faine to go, and they get signed elsewhere...would we likely get something like an extra 3rd of 4th round pick?

It's based on last year's Free Agency I believe. Roughly speaking, it's a combination of the size of the deals signed and the production the players had over the past season.

Even though our Free Agents didn't strictly produce a lot, the ones we lost produced even less and we signed a lot more then we lost. So I would say 0% chance we get any compensatory picks.

Jason David alone should score us about 80 picks.

The formula for determining compensatory picks is based upon a complicated formula involving last year's Free agency, the phases of the moon, and random numbers generated by an gnomes living in the basement of the league offices. According my calculations, the Saints get squat again this year, and Denver somehow winds up with another third round pick. Damn gnomes...

so it's from the previous year...outgoing production (plus salaries signed to) versus incoming production (plus salaries signed to) of Free Agents = Compensatory pick magic formula?

I remember reading about how the Ravens were really good at drafting well and using compensatory picks...kinda like - Adalius Thomas and Jamaal Lewis will now net them compensatory picks (probably)?

Can anyone explain how compensatory picks work?

I know it has something to do with allowing FA's to leave who are signed by other teams...but can anyone explain further?

Reason I ask is, say we allow guys like Devery and one of Nesbitt, Goodwin or Faine to go, and they get signed elsewhere...would we likely get something like an extra 3rd of 4th round pick?

I think FA's are put into classes or pools for the comp. pick process. Those will all be bottom dweller FA's and would likely not garner us any picks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom