Competition committee recommends expanding reviews to include pass interference calls after Saints-Rams blunder (1 Viewer)

saints4eva

We are the Who Dat Nation-we will always persevere
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Per Yahoo Sports

"Expanding reviewable plays to include pass interference

The New Orleans Saints found themselves on the wrong end of a no-call during their NFC Championship game against the Los Angeles Rams last season — one that left their fanbase rightfully furious.

Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman drilled Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis on a critical third down late in the game, which everybody — even Robey-Colemanbelieves warranted a pass interference call. That call never came.

The competition committee has a plan to fix that — or at least attempt to fix that.

One of the rule changes that the committee proposed would expand the reviewable plays in instant replay to include fouls for pass interference — something that is not currently allowed to be reviewed. It would also expand automatic replays to include all scoring plays, turnovers negated by a foul and any extra point and two-point conversion attempt.

Had that rule been in place during the NFC Championship game, the Saints likely would have earned a foul call on that controversial play — which would have likely paved them a path to reach the Super Bowl.

The key to this proposal, however, is that it will only be in place for one year if it is approved. If it ends up being successful, though, then it’s certainly something that could be put in place longterm."

Well... that and $0.25 will get us a gum-ball, but it doesn't change the fact the Saints were undeniably cheated out of a Super Bowl appearance and the coward commissioner of the league basically went into hiding for as long as possible before essentially shrugging it off just prior to his tainted Big Game. Something could have and SHOULD HAVE been done at the time this atrocity took place, but that piece of garbage decided to do nothing. He ruined a game I've loved my whole life, and anything short of him being cast-away in shame and embarrassment is just too little too late.

What I read, it is only reviewable if it is called on the field. This actually doesn't address what happens NFCCG. I suspect we will get more PIs as the referees will side on caution. Common sense tells you at the moment it happens if the referee had any doubt, he will just throw the flag since it will be reviewable.

----

What I read, it is only reviewable if it is called on the field. This actually doesn't address what happens NFCCG. I suspect we will get more PIs as the referees will side on caution. Common sense tells you at the moment it happens if the referee had any doubt, he will just throw the flag since it will be reviewable.

----
Is it reviewed automatically or does it require a challenge? If it requires a challenge, then the abundance of flags on PI thrown out of caution because it's reviewable won't matter anyway because of the way the challenge system is set up. PI should be reviewed every time it's questionable from the booth if they're going to do it. And not doing anything to prevent what happened to us in the NFCCG really makes me ambivalent about any change to the rule anyway.

IMO, a team should be able to challenge no calls on anything that would be a personal foul or pass interference. Wouldn't take any longer if they include it in the already established challenge system. The CFL has been getting it right for years now so the only reason I can see the NFL not wanting to allow the challenge of no calls would be taking their ability to sway a game's outcome out of their hands.

This is just garbage:

The committee left the combine with a mandate to study the concept of a sky judge, in essence an eighth member of the officiating crew who would sit in the press box and have authority to correct clear and obvious mistakes. But there was internal league concern about the viability of finding enough qualified officials to hire, and the committee is not making a recommendation on it for 2019.

Competition committee chairman Rich McKay said that "no member of the committee" supported the sky judge concept

You could find enough qualified fans to fill these positions to make calls from upstairs on obvious blown calls. What a cop out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom