Complete Saints draft history dating back to 1967 (1 Viewer)

Good find.

It's incredible, we only have 5 players from between 2001 - 2004, and none from before 2000.

I need to get into a FFL league with the Saints Front Office. I would clean up!!

I'm having flashback nightmares about 1999.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3300&type=team

Wow, so many players on those draft lists through the years that just disappeared over time. We've had some good picks over the years, but it's apparent that the Saints' Front Offices of old left a lot to be desired from a college scouting/player evaluation prospective.
the draft is the life line of your team. signing free agents is great. but if you want to be good long term you have to build from the draft. the saints cant afford another draft like the 07 one. when you get nothing from your draft its hard to stay at a high level.the draft the saints had in 06 is what gets you in the playoffs and keeps you going there.the saints front office needs to do a better job of player evaluation than they did in the 07 draft !

Very nice find! And I agree, 1999 set us back many years. Wasn't one of our extra 1st rounders in 2002 from the RW-to-Miami trade? If so, those were two decent picks...too bad only one of them is still with us...

2006 still looks really, really good, however! And speaking of 7th rounders, how about Kevin Houser in 2000? What a solid LS he has been, after being drafted as a FB. Another overlooked gem, IMO.

This wasn't a bad year, either:

1981 - New Orleans Saints
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 1 George Rogers RB South Carolina
2 29 Russell Gary DB Nebraska
2 51 Rickey Jackson LB Pittsburgh
3 57 Frank Warren DE Auburn
3 71 Hoby Brenner TE USC
5 112 Louis Oubre G Oklahoma
5 128 Jerry Boyarsky NT Pittsburgh
6 139 Nat Hudson G Georgia
6 144 Johnnie Poe DB Missouri
6 166 Glen Redd LB Brigham Young
7 167 Kevin Williams WR USC
8 214 Gene Gladys -- Penn State
8 215 Kevin Evans -- Arkansas
9 222 Toussaint Tyler RB Washington
10 249 Hokie Gajan RB Louisiana State
11 277 Lester Mickens -- Kansas
12 305 Jim Wilks DE San Diego State
Dave Wilson QB Illinois

Something else interesting...with the exception of Naeole, pretty much every OL they've drafted in the first round has been a solid contributor for years (jury still out on J. Brown). If the Saints went for OL in the first round this year, I don't think I could get too upset; although we do have areas of greater need, drafting a stud OL-man is always a good move, IMO. History proves it.

Last edited:
This wasn't a bad year, either:

Something else interesting...with the exception of Naeole, pretty much every OL they've drafted in the first round has been a solid contributor for years (jury still out on J. Brown). If the Saints went for OL in the first round this year, I don't think I could get too upset; although we do have areas of greater need, drafting a stud OL-man is always a good move, IMO. History proves it.

The problem being, we only keep them around for a few years, and create a revolving door at the position. It'd be great to draft a guy who's gonna do like O. Pace or J. Odgen, guys who'll stay with the team past one contract.

It's really easy to say, "We let a two-time All-Pro OT walk, so that position is a priority" then go out and select another future All-Pro in the first round, and so on...

The problem being, we only keep them around for a few years, and create a revolving door at the position. It'd be great to draft a guy who's gonna do like O. Pace or J. Odgen, guys who'll stay with the team past one contract.

It's really easy to say, "We let a two-time All-Pro OT walk, so that position is a priority" then go out and select another future All-Pro in the first round, and so on...

Well, it seems like many of these first round OL draft choices have actually stayed for a significant time:

Stan Brock, T: drafted in 1980; played with Saints until 1992. He finished his career with the San Diego Chargers from 1993 to 1995. [12 year career with Saints]

Steve Korte, G: drafted in 1983; played with Saints until 1990 [8 year career with Saints]

Jim Dombrowski, T; drafted in 1986; played with Saints until 1996 (career ended with knee injury) [11 year career with Saints]

Willie Roaf, T; drafted in 1993; played with Saints until 2002; finished his career with the KC Chiefs from 2002-2005 [10 year career with Saints]

here's where that revolving door opens, however....

Chris Naeole, G; drafted in 1997; played with Saints until 2001; currently with Jacksonville Jaguars [5 year career with Saints]

Kyle Turley, G; drafted in 1998; played with Saints until 2002; played 2 years with the St. Louis Rams and then joined the KC Chiefs in 2006 [5 year career with Saints]

Jammal Brown, T; drafted in 2005; still with the Saints after 3 seasons.

Even Naeole, who was slow to really do well with us, went on to continue a solid career with Jacksonville; Turley also proved that he could play for several years. We gave up on those two guys but that's no reflection on their overall NFL careers. 10+ years out of a solid OL is golden, and looking at our history, drafting a good OL in the first round is rarely a bad idea...as long as we keep them! I would hope that Loomis & co. would do a better job of keeping that sort of talent than we have in the past; JMO.

Last edited:
Well, it seems like many of these first round OL draft choices have actually stayed for a significant time:

Stan Brock, T: drafted in 1980; played with Saints until 1992. He finished his career with the San Diego Chargers from 1993 to 1995. [12 year career with Saints]

Steve Korte, G: drafted in 1983; played with Saints until 1990 [8 year career with Saints]

Jim Dombrowski, T; drafted in 1986; played with Saints until 1996 (career ended with knee injury) [11 year career with Saints]

Willie Roaf, T; drafted in 1993; played with Saints until 2002; finished his career with the KC Chiefs from 2002-2005 [10 year career with Saints]

here's where that revolving door opens, however....

Chris Naeole, G; drafted in 1997; played with Saints until 2001; currently with Jacksonville Jaguars [5 year career with Saints]

Kyle Turley, G; drafted in 1998; played with Saints until 2002; played 2 years with the St. Louis Rams and then joined the KC Chiefs in 2006 [5 year career with Saints]

Jammal Brown, T; drafted in 2005; still with the Saints after 3 seasons.

Even Naeole, who was slow to really do well with us, went on to continue a solid career with Jacksonville; Turley also proved that he could play for several years. We gave up on those two guys but that's no reflection on their overall NFL careers. 10+ years out of a solid OL is golden, and looking at our history, drafting a good OL in the first round is rarely a bad idea...as long as we keep them! I would hope that Loomis & co. would do a better job of keeping that sort of talent than we have in the past; JMO.

Ya the older guys did well, that's one place where we actually did good recruiting. Our line was solid for a while -- too bad the skill players couldn't do much and even when they did, we couldn't get it done in the postseason.

Defensive line is the real revolving door position - eight taken in the first round since 1986 (which was the first time I said GO SAINTS). I remember people wanting Mario Williams with Charles Grant & Will Smith still on their rookie contracts. And d-linemen we don't take in the first round? :covri:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3300&type=team

Wow, so many players on those draft lists through the years that just disappeared over time. We've had some good picks over the years, but it's apparent that the Saints' Front Offices of old left a lot to be desired from a college scouting/player evaluation prospective.

I agree. Look at what solid drafting can do for a team.

16 Colts starters drafted by the Colts<O:p</O:p
15 Chargers starters drafted by the Chargers<O:p</O:p
14 Patriots starters drafted by the Patriots<O:p</O:p
14 Packers starters drafted by the Packers

I agree. Look at what solid drafting can do for a team.

16 Colts starters drafted by the Colts<O:p</O:p
15 Chargers starters drafted by the Chargers<O:p</O:p
14 Patriots starters drafted by the Patriots<O:p</O:p
14 Packers starters drafted by the Packers

Saints drafted starters:

J Brown
J Evans
J Stinchcomb
D McAllister
R Bush
M Karney
M Colston
D Henderson

C Grant
W Smith
J Bullocks
R Harper

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom