Compulsive video-game playing could be mental health problem (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever known anyone I would call a video game addict.

I've definitely had some gaming benders before where I've played for 10+ hours straight before but those were very few and far between
========================================================================================================================

GENEVA (AP) — Obsessive video gamers know how to anticipate dangers in virtual worlds. The World Health Organization says they now should be on guard for a danger in the real world: spending too much time playing.

In its latest revision to a disease classification manual, the U.N. health agency said Monday that compulsively playing video games now qualifies as a mental health condition. The statement confirmed the fears of some parents but led critics to warn that it may risk stigmatizing too many young video players.

WHO said classifying “gaming disorder” as a separate addiction will help governments, families and health care workers be more vigilant and prepared to identify the risks. The agency and other experts were quick to note that cases of the condition are still very rare, with no more than up to 3 percent of all gamers believed to be affected.

Dr. Shekhar Saxena, director of WHO’s department for mental health and substance abuse, said the agency accepted the proposal that gaming disorder should be listed as a new problem based on scientific evidence, in addition to “the need and the demand for treatment in many parts of the world.”

Dr. Joan Harvey, a spokeswoman for the British Psychological Society, warned that the new designation might cause unnecessary concern among parents....................

Compulsive video-game playing could be mental health problem

i have played a few games that were borderline obsessive, but i haven’t turned my consoles on in months. very little interest in anything that has been released after blur.

blur, the greatest game of all time.

Unless something is physically addictive like heroin, the thing that the person is addicted to is not the problem.

Addicts will find something to be addicted to. Addiction is a mental health problem.

you said it was a choice a while back :idunno:
It is a choice. You can choose to sit in a one spot for hours or don't, or gain 10 lbs one weekend or don't. You can choose to deal with whatever bullshirt is influencing you to make those choices or don't. The treatment is choosing to deal with whatever is making you feel worthless.

I chose to be an addict for years as a result of depression. Trust me on that.

well, i didn't choose to be an alcoholic but here were are

I didn't create a pros and cons diagram and decide, I think I'll be an addict today. Subconscious choices are still choices, whether or not you believe you have control over them. Only difference is making a conscious choice to deal with the depression fueling those choices and take control of them.

depression is not the only factor in addiction...it can be multiple conditions or none of them....

there is even a genetic component to addiction

it's not as simple as you want it to be

Working in an alcohol and drug rehab, we had many patients admitted with sex addiction, gambling, etc. I only remember one patient admitted solely for video game addiction. It really all boils down to the same ingredients

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom