Concern for flow of game (1 Viewer)

harrty

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Guys, I've worried about it all week. Do you think Cooks' cries for more targets can disrupt the timeing of the offense it has going now? Will Drew be more apt to try to please Cooks instead of going to the obvious mismatch that's on the field? I think these are legitimate concerns.

If I was Brees and Payton, I wouldn't care all that much about his whining. They understand the weapon he is and use him accordingly. Unfortunately, so do opposing defenses. They need to shut down the guy that can burn them on a single play. Its the same as having a shut down cornerback, teams just don't throw that way. Hopefully with Thomas exploding on the scene, he'll open things up for Cooks. But I wouldn't give him targets just to give him targets. Its like he says, its a business.

In some ways, Brandin is the new Reggie Bush.

Before everybody flips out, what I mean is that they've GOT TO put their best defender on Cooks. That opens up everybody else. As soon as they start concentrating on other players (which they may soon), then Brandin's going to have a monster game. Patience has its rewards.

I don't think a single thing is going to change. This offense is about selflessness. If Payton and Brees show Cooks extra love this week, it set's a precedent that we can't afford. Then comes Fleener, Snead, Thomas, Ingram would want more carries, etc....

We'll run our normal offense, and Cooks will have his normal role, which means he could have 150 yards and 2 TDs, or he could have 3 catches for 50 yards. Take what the defense gives you and be thankful.

You honestly think that Brees will change how he has quarterbacked for over a decade now because of some performance frustration on Cooks' part? Cooks stated that the great ones find ways to get open even if being doubled. He realizes he has things he needs to work on and I believe he is a highly self motivated player able to do exactly that. If he succeeds, Brees will get him the ball. Period.

I agree that it "shouldn't" change. But I remember them trying to force feed Reggie back in the day. They gave in to Keenan Lewis when he whined about a contract. Just don't scratch Cooks' back to keep him from becoming a distraction.

Guys, I've worried about it all week. Do you think Cooks' cries for more targets can disrupt the timeing of the offense it has going now? Will Drew be more apt to try to please Cooks instead of going to the obvious mismatch that's on the field? I think these are legitimate concerns.

I just don't see how Brees would change anything on account of anything Cooks said. He's gonna try to exploit the best mismatches he sees. I'm pretty sure he'll target Cooks if he thinks it keeps the defense honest. If they key more on Thomas, no doubt Brees will look Cooks' way if the situation is right. It's more about situational football and trying to get a win.

FWIW, I don't think Brees/Payton are remotely thinking about what Cooks said. They'll do what they need to do to get a win. And that's all that should matter.

The only thing that will happen is in those first 15 scripted plays Sean and Brees agree on they'll just try to get him involved early with some quick routes..unless they see something in the Lions defensive setup that let's audible to a big play.

Mike Thomas is such a stud. He catches everything near him.. we've tried to hit Cooks in tight windows and he doesn't have the catch% that Mike Thomas has. Thomas is the man.

if that is all you are worried about, consider yourself lucky. I think this is all a waste of time, worrying about a non factor.

Mike Thomas is such a stud. He catches everything near him.. we've tried to hit Cooks in tight windows and he doesn't have the catch% that Mike Thomas has. Thomas is the man.

Do you really believe that? I guess you didn't see Cooks TD against Denver or the fact that he doesn't have one single drop on the year.

And I was called crazy pretty much... Ignoring a wide open Thomas for a double covered Cooks...

completely disrupted the team. drew tried to find him downfield double covered when thomas was wide open.

CSP lost this game on the first series when he didn't run the ball on 3rd and 1, shotgun snap went 20 yards over Brees head and intentional grounding.

EDIT

this performance is just pitiful. nobody is trying. even the browns play better than this. not worth watching

All I saw was Cooks being thrown too when he was open.

Brees threw one pass where he missed Thomas. That happens every game in some capacity. But if you guys want to find a devil to blame, go ahead. It's stupid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom